Anchor Sue Simmons drops the F-bomb

Have you ever thought that the fact they are forbidden or taboo, keeps these words in a way cool and relevant ?

Good point. Not sure whether it's true or not. Some arguments each way, I suspect. Words like "gosh", have lost whatever impact they ever had (except as anachronisms now). But it's forty years since some playwright, I forget who, used "fuck" on British TV, during which period there's been no ban on using the word, in appropriate contexts. But the impact seems undiminished. Maybe 40 years isn't long enough...

MG

Who decides what is an appropriate context?

... You can hear all the fucks you want (and see 'em as well) on cable. The broadcast networks, on the other hand, have some obligation to the public good (read: dumbing down to the lowest common denominator).

Olbermann is on cable, so he should be free to use whatever language he likes, I suppose.

I say, if them thar English folks are OK with "fuck," who are we to argue?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who decides what is an appropriate context?

Good question that goes to the heart of the matter. Two answers, I think.

First answer, which applies to broadcasts (without distinction over here between methods of delivery), is that it depends on the time of day/kind of audience you're aiming for. There's a general consensus that you don't use swear words on kids' programmes, for example. Other situations are less clear but, generally, 9pm is regarded as a watershed time.

Second answer is a linguistic answer. Those words exist for good reasons. Is it linguistically appropriate to use a swear word in the context? Olberman's cop-out is a good example in which it was linguistically appropriate - in point of fact, necessary - to say fuck rather than hell. At the other extreme, gratuitously peppering one's speech with swear words tends to diminish their linguistic importance. That's a bad thing, I think. And in between those extremes there are all sorts of in between states that are very difficult to make rules about. Which is why I'd oppose rules and, in fact, the entire concept of "who decides".

MG

May 14, 2008

When an Anchor Curses on the Air, She Becomes the Night’s Top Story

By JAMES BARRON, NYTimes

(...)

On Monday night, according to someone who works at Channel 4 and has direct knowledge of the situation, Ms. Simmons and Mr. Scarborough thought the spot was being taped. When they were cued, Ms. Simmons read her line: “At 11, paying more at the grocer, but getting less. We’ll tell you how to get the most.”

The station then cut to images for an upcoming story about a cruise ship, without any narrative from the two anchors.

At that point, Ms. Simmons says, basically, What are you doing?

But her question had two extra words.

Ms. Simmons, looking genuinely pained, apologized during the 11 p.m. broadcast. “While we were live just after 10 o’clock,” she said, “I said a word that many people find offensive. I’m truly sorry. It was a mistake on my part, and I sincerely apologize.”

I find the whole affair quite disturbing.

Does it mean it's OK for a US news anchor to yell at co-workers during the programme, as long as the work "fuck" is avoided? She only appologised for the use word, but not for her choleric outburst as such.

Edited by Claude

May 14, 2008

When an Anchor Curses on the Air, She Becomes the Night’s Top Story

By JAMES BARRON, NYTimes

(...)

On Monday night, according to someone who works at Channel 4 and has direct knowledge of the situation, Ms. Simmons and Mr. Scarborough thought the spot was being taped. When they were cued, Ms. Simmons read her line: “At 11, paying more at the grocer, but getting less. We’ll tell you how to get the most.”

The station then cut to images for an upcoming story about a cruise ship, without any narrative from the two anchors.

At that point, Ms. Simmons says, basically, What are you doing?

But her question had two extra words.

Ms. Simmons, looking genuinely pained, apologized during the 11 p.m. broadcast. “While we were live just after 10 o’clock,” she said, “I said a word that many people find offensive. I’m truly sorry. It was a mistake on my part, and I sincerely apologize.”

I find the whole affair quite disturbing.

Does it mean it's OK for a US news anchor to yell at co-workers during the programme, as long as the work "fuck" is avoided? She only appologised for the use word, but not for her choleric outburst as such.

Yeah :) Choleric is good (nods).

But not really. She should apologise for being human? If an apology is due, it's due to her colleague. That's a private matter, even though the colleague was doing something in public to spark it.

MG

I'd still like to know what prompted the outburst. :w

That is the mystery. The Post first alleged that it was the video of a cruise ship that set her off, because the promo was something about saving money on groceries and that was a completely different story of a woman falling overboard of the ship. Others seem to think that Chuck Scarborough (Hey Catesta, he hasn't exactly hung on to his boyish looks like Sue has, huh?) must have done something.

My simple take on the matter is that no professional news broadcaster should engage in profanity on the air. Period. It doesn't matter if its the 11 pm broadcast or the 6 AM crop report. If you're a professional, use the language of a professional.

As for this matter in particular, I don't get the idea that she thought she was taping the promo and that it wasn't a live punch-in broadcast. There's a look on her face that betrays, despite her long experience in broadcasting, a certain nervousness (or maybe its just a little concern) about hitting her mark and delivering the line in the time alloted.

I suppose you may have heard of a certain Austrian village which often has had its signs stolen. God forbid that something internationally important ever happens there.

200px-Fucking,_Austria,_street_sign.jpg

It's close to the German border and just half an hour by car from the Bavarian town Petting.

To quote my wife,

FUCKIN' CYCLISTS!!!!!

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know what's harder to believe - that Anastos is 66 now or that he's kept a job in the biggest media market in the country all this time. In his younger days, he'd deliver horrible sounding news teasers with the smarmiest smile imaginable. Put a big grin on your face and say this:

"Harlem fire, six dead, film at 11."

At least Sue Simmons could feign seriousness when she read those things.