Are you changing your travel plans/habits.......

Not so much affecting vacation plans - still likely to drive the family to Yellowstone in August, for example - since we still have to go somewhere, somehow and with the four of us it's still cheaper to drive than fly, but I'm definitely cutting back on the more frivolous drives (like, uh, record shopping) and/or combining trips whenever possible. What we've really cut back on are the day trips (hundred miles or so) to my sister's house or to visit friends in nearby places.

For the business my monthly fuel bill is now around $20,000+. For the trucks that do not have hour meters I have Supervisors making random inspections to make sure crew trucks are not left running all day especially with the AC on. We run as many small trucks as possible (4 and 6cyl). I've also tried to condense schedules as much as possible. That usually translates to longer days but less miles driven, therefore less fuel used.

I've cut back my travel a bit as well. Was making two trips monthly from NY to Arizona, now I'm going maybe once a month or every other. I'm having to do more business via-telephone or computer.

We also have been doing things such as little incentives by way of cash and time off to encourage employee carpools. I'd say 50% of my employees are sharing rides. A half dozen or so that live close ride bikes.

Edited by catesta

We also have been doing things such as little incentives by way of cash and time off to encourage employee carpools. I'd say 50% of my employees are sharing rides. A half dozen or so that live close ride bikes.

50% sounds very good. we had a car sharing scheme in our office about 25 years ago, but it died through inanition.

MG

I haven't had to cut back on driving trips yet, because mine are relatively short. I do worry that if I get a job requiring a drive every day, that the gas prices will put a huge dent in my pocketbook. I also heard (and not remembering which airline) that one or some airlines are now going to charge a small fee for requesting an aisle or window seat?!?!?!?!

Marla

I haven't had to cut back on driving trips yet, because mine are relatively short. I do worry that if I get a job requiring a drive every day, that the gas prices will put a huge dent in my pocketbook. I also heard (and not remembering which airline) that one or some airlines are now going to charge a small fee for requesting an aisle or window seat?!?!?!?!

Marla

Much to my surprise JetBlue is one of those airlines.

I know US Airways is doing it as well and I'm sure there are others.

Marla

So when you select an aisle or window seat, you get an added fee as you are booking online? That's pretty stupid. It would be weird to book a flight and see all of the middle seats filled and the aisle/window available. What if you wait long enough that they have to give you an aisle or window seat first anyway? Then you aren't "requesting" it - there shouldn't be an additional fee.

Paying extra really sucks, but I'll do whatever it takes to get an aisle seat. The middle seat is HELL (espcially when you're big & tall). No armrest priviledges.

I recently got stuck w/a middle seat (after being rebooked, so I had no choice) and it was awful. Once the seat belt light went off I got up and stood for 2 1/2 hours (sometimes the flight attendants won't let you do this, but I had a sympathetic FA on my flight).

Flying has become this hellish gauntlet you have to endure to get to your destination, and it's only going to get worse. Yippee!

Edited by Free For All

Paying extra really sucks, but I'll do whatever it takes to get an aisle seat. The middle seat is HELL (espcially when you're big & tall). No armrest priviledges.

I recently got stuck w/a middle seat (after being rebooked, so I had no choice) and it was awful. Once the seat belt light went off I got up and stood for 2 1/2 hours (sometimes the flight attendants won't let you do this, but I had a sympathetic FA on my flight).

Flying has become this hellish gauntlet you have to endure to get to your destination, and it's only going to get worse. Yippee!

I'd agree with the "hellish" assessement of flying overall, but I prefer middle seats to aisles. No one dropping bags on me or standing with butt in my face during boarding. No carts whanging my extremities. Only half the 'up and downs' for the potty breaks of my seatmates. I suppose my 500,000km a year has taught me how to assert some claim to those armrests.

I'd agree with the "hellish" assessement of flying overall, but I prefer middle seats to aisles. No one dropping bags on me or standing with butt in my face during boarding. No carts whanging my extremities. Only half the 'up and downs' for the potty breaks of my seatmates. I suppose my 500,000km a year has taught me how to assert some claim to those armrests.

Do you therefore prefer window seats overall?

As far as I am concerned, there are four armrests for three people. Hell if I'm going to get frozen out completely.

Marla

So when you select an aisle or window seat, you get an added fee as you are booking online? That's pretty stupid. It would be weird to book a flight and see all of the middle seats filled and the aisle/window available. What if you wait long enough that they have to give you an aisle or window seat first anyway? Then you aren't "requesting" it - there shouldn't be an additional fee.

On JetBlue I paid an extra $20. Didn't see it until I selected my seat and clicked to pay.

I assume you're correct and those seats are going to be given away for regular at some point. That is unless the flight is not full.

So, I guess the further you book ahead the more you're getting screwed.

Do you therefore prefer window seats overall?

As far as I am concerned, there are four armrests for three people. Hell if I'm going to get frozen out completely.

Oh yeah. Window, please! (But no d*mn bulkheads.)

I'm equally fed up with airline bullshit. At 6 foot 3 inches, anything other than an aisle seat is a miserable experience, yet I'm inevitably behind some clown who likes to recline his seat all the way into my lap. So I make sure to recross my legs constantly, bumping it every time for maximum annoyance.

The crappy service, inevitable delays and unclean facilities (I once discovered a restroom with no water and packets of, get this, coffee creamer) add to the misery. Maybe Amtrak will eventually turn a profit with the way airlines are going. I try to avoid Delta and its miserable link ASA (the nation's worst air carrier by far), but the others are only a few steps ahead of them.

At 6 foot 3 inches, anything other than an aisle seat is a miserable experience...I try to avoid Delta...

I too am 6'3", and in March got stuck in the middle seat on a flight from Seattle to Raleigh (changing planes in Cincinnati). I spent the whole time waiting for the flight to be over.

My job requires my driving about 150 miles a day at my expense, so the $4.00 gas is really hurting me.