Earle Hagen RIP

Teasing the Korean

Hagen...........was a former big-band trombonist for Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman and Ray Noble.....

I didn't know that. I remember using his "Scoring for Films" text in college.

He wrote/arranged some good TV theme songs (like the version of "Danny Boy" for the Danny Thomas show, and the Dick Van Dyke theme, among many others).

The TV theme song sure seems to be a lost art.

RIP

Edited by Free For All

RIP.

I had the piano sheet music of Harlem Nocturne when I was in high school. I was motivated to learn the song because I liked The Ventures' recording of it.

A few years later in college, I got Hagen's I Spy soundtrack album. I'll have to pull it out and give it a listen.

The closest thing to jazz they ever played on the only radio station where i grew up was Earl Bostic's version of Harlem Nocturne. I admit it's theonly thing I've ever heard by Bostic, though I once heard an interview with Benny Golson in which he cited Bostic as the best altoist he'd ever heard.

I always enjoyed the drumming on the Danny Thomas and Dick Van Dyke theme.

Anybody know who they were?

I enjoy playing the big band arrangment (solo alto part) of Harlem Nocturne

but like to do it stealthily...like sneaking up on someone and then build the ending.

Don't care much about the TV themes. "Harlem Nocturne" is what I'll remember the man for.

Forget the themes. His underscore for the I-Spy series is amazing.

Yes! A few years ago I got a bunch of the I-Spy DVD's and thought the show held up remarkably well, particularly the music.

• 3 years later...