George Duke's MPS Fusion sessions

mikeweil

Yeah I got the MPS box and everything else GD put out in his own name!

Third World has not escaped me but I find it quite inferior to GDs own stuff.

George Duke is my hero! I heard him live in Stockholm and got the privilege to shake his hand and talk to him a bit after the concert. He was a really really nice guy too;-)

I don't think many would be disappointed with the box if you like "real" fusion. "The Inner Source" album and "Solus" are a bit weaker, but please start off with "Faces in Reflection" and "Feel" and you will be caught M;-)

/Shaft

What is George Duke's "Muir Woods Suite" album like? It has been in the bins forever at a used music store here. I have looked it over and put it back, not sure about it. It looks like Duke with a large string section, from what I can tell from the liner notes.

Hi

Actually I'm not to keen on The Muir Woods CD. I play it very seldom. For me it's not really GD but more like an experiment....

/Shaft

What is George Duke's "Muir Woods Suite" album like? It has been in the bins forever at a used music store here. I have looked it over and put it back, not sure about it. It looks like Duke with a large string section, from what I can tell from the liner notes.

Hi

Actually I'm not to keen on The Muir Woods CD. I play it very seldom. For me it's not really GD but more like an experiment....

/Shaft

Could you give us a little more detail? Does George improvise on Muir Woods? Are the strings used in an ambitious way, or more just for background color? What is is about Muir Woods that does not work in your view?

Shaft is the fucking man & I know Swedes love prog (bless them) but Helen Fong is sound machine after my own heart-- whether frozen or sizzling on the grill, the Zawinul douchemeat tastes like shit. It's interesting to wonder why he evolved such a dire palette but maybe it was that quest for the new, however lousy. There should be no nostalgia for horrible turns music music took in the late '70s and 1980s. This is not at all a purist's complaint but an aesthete's, which is why, if she was up for it, I'd let Helen Fong tie to me her big brass bed and do anything. The point about keys and drummers an important one and what we can, for real, except Herbie lost it big time and will never come back, get over the nostalgia trip and admit the truth (in 2008 Bill Laswell is far better than Herbie). The Zawinul thing, okay, if you care to follow his compositional ebb and flow regardless of how it sounds... fine, although to me its time spent more usefully with, say, Stockhausen, Eberhard Weber or even Fennesz, if you go that way. True story: my ex-husband once mistook George Duke for Buddy Miles in the Omaha, Nebraska airport! That's not entirely why I left him but it was a factor. True story 2: Magma is more interesting than post-1972 Joe Zawinul but few people seem willing to embrace that fact, and most who do are... Swedes.

Hey ChaunceyMorehouse,

I must admit I didn't get your post in its enterity :)

However it was sure fun to read. Some personal remarks though.

Joe Zawinul was best with Cannonball and Wather Report. The whole World Music thing was not so fun. At least not what I have heard.

Herbie Hancock is quite boring these days. Mr Hands is the last great album he did (With possible exception of Dis is da drum)

George Duke still has the chops! Some sections on GDs later albums are great great. He's back after the 80s much too commercial albums. Still plays great!

/Shaft

Hi

/Shaft

Could you give us a little more detail? Does George improvise on Muir Woods? Are the strings used in an ambitious way, or more just for background color? What is is about Muir Woods that does not work in your view?

Hi again,

Strings are used very ambitious way. It is in parts almost "classical" music - kind of "Arty". Some parts are more piano-driven and more jazzy, but I like GD when it swings and make me wanna move, tap my foot etc. When I want to hear classical I put on Beethoven.

Here is a link to Amazon. It can be optained for under $3 so if interested please don't hesitate.

Muir Woods on Amazon

/Shaft

Hi

/Shaft

Hi again,

Strings are used very ambitious way. It is in parts almost "classical" music - kind of "Arty". Some parts are more piano-driven and more jazzy, but I like GD when it swings and make me wanna move, tap my foot etc. When I want to hear classical I put on Beethoven.

Here is a link to Amazon. It can be optained for under $3 so if interested please don't hesitate.

Muir Woods on Amazon

/Shaft

Thanks for the information.

Hi

/Shaft

Hi again,

Muir Woods on Amazon

/Shaft

Thanks for the information.

1 - I Like Muir Woods a LOT, but don't think funky GD - it isn't. But it does show his chops as a pianist and is a good listen start to finish.

2 - I agree with the Zawinul criticisms. From Black Market on, I found him largely unlistenable, and I understand the childre singing in native tongue reference and especially don't like that sound.

3 - Jim A., the Duke box is available through Caiman on Amazon Marketplace for a lot less than what Dusty Groove is charging, if I remember correctly. I ordered it earlier today for $41.85 + $2.98 shipping.

4 - Jim S., these Duke albums have a rich harmonic palate and are rife with colorful keyboard textures. Whatever Zappa influence that is there is the "Waka Jawaka" and "Grand Wazoo" jazzy good-Frank, not the punk bad-Frank you wanted to send to his room.

5 - Hello "Helen". I recognized you by your drummer discussion. Always fussing about drummers! You're spot on about Zawinul.

6 - I don't find Duke from the period in question really comparable to Zawinul or Hancock, rather into something very different altogether, and quite well done and valuable, even 35 years later.