AOTW July 6-12 2008 ANY Freddie Roach Blue Note Album

Soul Stream

If you are interested in some of this art, you may appreciate the art of Emory Douglas, the former minister of culture for the Black Panther Party for Self Defense.

http://www.itsabouttimebpp.com/Emory_Art/E...ouglas_Art.html

A book just came out about a year ago that collects most of his work. I highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Panther-Revolu...s/dp/0847829413

Here is a sample:

pg-137.jpg

Is George Braith related to any of those people involved in that movement?

My thought as well.

I do not know.

From the NCA New York article:

"AJAS produced its first jazz concert on December 24, 1956 at Small’s Paradise, with Lou Donaldson and the Bill English Quartet and a group of young budding jazz artists, George Braith, Bobby Capers, Vinnie McEwen, Oliver Beener, Pete LaRoca, Ray Draper and others."

Vinnie McEwen = Vincent McEwan from John Patton's Boogaloo ?! what a band...

My thought as well.

I do not know.

"AJAS produced its first jazz concert on December 24, 1956 at Small’s Paradise, with Lou Donaldson and the Bill English Quartet and a group of young budding jazz artists, George Braith, Bobby Capers, Vinnie McEwen, Oliver Beener, Pete LaRoca, Ray Draper and others."

Yeah, got that, but there's other people mentioned named "Brath". I've also seen "Braithe" (or "Brathe"?) & "Braithwaite" mentioned as names around that scene at that time (although not in context of this exact movement, which I'm just not learning about).

Hmm. That third link there in reference to the 2002 concert says, "The idea for the show began after the 1961 celebration where Elombe Brath, Kwame Brathwaite, and members of AJASS witnessed the event and decided to create the conditions for Black women to feel proud of their natural beauty."

It looks like Kwame Brathwaite was one of the photographers--is that the one you referred to, Soul Stream?

"Elombe Brath has been a selfless, learned and loyal educator in our community for more than fifty years. We first became aware of his activism as a very young founder/organizer of African Jazz Art Society and Studio (AJAZZ) progenitors of the ‘Black is Beautiful’ movement that spawned the Grandassa Models in the early 1960's. In addition to chairing the Patrice Lumumba Coalition, Elombe is the long time host for the weekly program ‘Afrikaleidoscope’ which airs on WBAI Pacifica Radio. Elombe has certainly enriched our lives with his valuable contributions to our cultural enlightenment."

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/421534/

Unsure of their relations to George Braith

All these name changes have me out of Breaith! :ph34r:

Yeah, George's REAL name is Braithwaite (as you probably already know)...and I want to say his brother's name is Ronnie...could be wrong 'bout that.

You're right, it's Ronnie.

There's a certain irony in speculating about the kinship of people involved a movement that was all about creating "family", ain't there now. ;)

My thought as well.

I do not know.

Vinnie McEwen = Vincent McEwan from John Patton's Boogaloo ?! what a band...

Vincent was also a member of Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers, who played at the first Naturally concert in 1962.

MG

Just dug out my NYC copy of All That's Good. A nice set with very tasty solos form Conrad Lester, Frederick (not Freddie here), and Calvin Newborn (his only Blue Note date). They sound especially good on the churchy numbers. Not sure I like the vocal trio. Mostly they are not too offensive but a couple of tracks would have been enough.

Cover features six Grandassa models.

Edited by JohnS

Haven't listened to it in a while, but I seem to remember "All That's Good" really growing on me.

Not sure I really 'like' the voices as such, but over time they have gotten more and more interesting. And I'm to the point in my life where I really like stuff that's INTERESTING (even if it's not exactly "likeable"), even more than stuff that I just naturally like on it's/their own merits. (If that makes any sense.)

Edit: a parallel in one of my other interest areas, architecture: I'm usually more taken with unique and interesting buildings (even ugly ones!), than I am really nice but less unique or interesting ones.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, taking this even further off-topic (sorry, this is such an obvious question, it must be asked)...

What about Roach's later work on Prestige?? Any of it worth seeking out??

1966 The Soul Book Prestige

1967 Mocha Motion! Prestige

1967 My People (Soul People) Prestige

icon14.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, taking this even further off-topic (sorry, this is such an obvious question, it must be asked)...

icon14.gif

In my estimation these are all excellent. There was an import twofer of the first 2 released awhile back, not sure about the last one.

icon14.gif

In my estimation these are all excellent. There was an import twofer of the first 2 released awhile back, not sure about the last one.

I agree - they're all worth getting, if you like Roach. The twofer was, of course, deleted when Concord acquired Fantasy and all the Ace/ZYX Fantasy catalogue went. But that wasn't too long ago really and copies shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of (or too expensive).

Ditto for "My people" - it was issued on CD by Japanese Victor in 1998, then deleted after its edition finished. A couple of years ago it was (I think) one of a slew of Fantasy reissues by Victor at a specially cheap price (1,000 yen). That edition's finished, too, but shouldn't be too hard to find one. Ask Hiroshi.

MG

Yeah, I was listening to My People, Soul People yesterday. What a great record! To me, of his Prestige albums, that one is a little closer to Freddie's Blue Notes than the others. Surprising considering the instrumentation is expanded...but the FEEL and intent strikes me hard on this one. Freddie's just a killer. Love that guy. Wish someone knew for sure how he died.

Edited by Soul Stream

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of Mo' Greens Please just showed up (TOJC), so I guess that means it will be time to reissue it domestically.

Actually, I got it for a decent price, and am looking forward to hearing it.

I also have the Fantasy two-fer (have had for a while) but not My People Soul People.

Sounds like it's Roach time at my house tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Down to Earth !! :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

I'll second that...! :D:tup Plus, that album just really SOUNDS so good. Love the organ sound on that recording... RVG was the master.

I have two copies on vinyl of this album. The first, a NY USA mono, sounds predictably great. The real surprise though is the second one - a blue/black Liberty pressing but with an 'original' sleeve. That one sounds phenomenal too !