Cleaning a filthy record

stuartjewkes

The other day I picked up a battered copy of one of the Jazz At The Philharmonic LPs featuring Oscar Peterson Trio's set for 50p and it looks like it will play reasonably well if properly cleaned. There are only light scuff marks on the playing surface but there are big gobs of grime all over the record and crap in the grooves.

What would be the best way to clean it? I've thought about using a sponge and water and hoping for the best but I'm not sure if it would completely kill it. If there are any radical suggestions I'm not really too fussed if it screws the record or messes up the label due to the condition of the sleeve and the fact that it was so cheap.

Any help appreciated.

The other day I picked up a battered copy of one of the Jazz At The Philharmonic LPs featuring Oscar Peterson Trio's set for 50p and it looks like it will play reasonably well if properly cleaned. There are only light scuff marks on the playing surface but there are big gobs of grime all over the record and crap in the grooves.

What would be the best way to clean it? I've thought about using a sponge and water and hoping for the best but I'm not sure if it would completely kill it. If there are any radical suggestions I'm not really too fussed if it screws the record or messes up the label due to the condition of the sleeve and the fact that it was so cheap.

Any help appreciated.

Soap and water will do the job, and will not harm the record. Liquid dishwashing detergent and a soapy sponge are all you need. Lather up both sides of the record with the soapy sponge, moving the sponge is circular motions all around the label, then rinse with lukewarm running water, making sure you have rinsed off all of the soap. Let dry in a dish rack, and after about a half hour, dry the beads of water with a paper towel.

99% of the time this is all you need to do. If there are still patches of grime, you may need to scrub those areas more vigorously. An old toothbrush with liquid detergent applied directly will do the job, and again, it will not harm the record.

Any help appreciated.

Soap and water will do the job, and will not harm the record. Liquid dishwashing detergent and a soapy sponge are all you need. Lather up both sides of the record with the soapy sponge, moving the sponge is circular motions all around the label, then rinse with lukewarm running water, making sure you have rinsed off all of the soap. Let dry in a dish rack, and after about a half hour, dry the beads of water with a paper towel.

99% of the time this is all you need to do. If there are still patches of grime, you may need to scrub those areas more vigorously. An old toothbrush with liquid detergent applied directly will do the job, and again, it will not harm the record.

Careful about using soap.

And brushing is chancy unless you use a super-soft toothbrush and only if you have visible chunks of crud.

Otherwise.............no.

I've found that hottish running water, getting it really wet, followed by laying the record on a clean dishtowel and gently sponging the grooves with a paper towel works quite well.

Oddly, it's rare that the label smears, although Blue Notes sometimes do.

The idea is to remove the dirt. The water alone will do that, with the gentle sponging. If you use soap, of any kind, you run the risk of leaving a film on the record.

There are also record-cleaning devices available. The one I have is an ORBITRAC 2, which works quite well. But, it doesn't, IMO, do any more than the previously mentioned method does.

You can't fix scratches or other imperfections or especially damage to your record.

They are relegated to coasters........................or trash.

Sorry, but.............

Edited by patricia

And brushing is chancy unless you use a super-soft toothbrush and only if you have visible chunks of crud.

First off, bear in mind that this is the same soap that one uses to wash dishes. I doubt that there is any discernable film left on my dishes after I wash them. I have been using this method for about 40 years with excellent results. In regards to toothbrushes, remember that this is the same device that rubs up against your gums, so by definition it is not abrasive. Record surfaces are far more durable than human gums! :rolleyes:

What Jack sez.

Well guys, I bow to your superior knowledge.

I don't use soap because I was told by my jazz mentor, a collector for as long as anyone, that I shouldn't, because of the possible filming and the inevitable dust-catching that causes, even if you rinse thoroughly.

He has a huge collection, every album pristine, in it's cover and stored, on it's edge, alphabetically.

I felt strangely priviledged when I was allowed to peruse them and actually touch them.

Normally that carries the death penalty, I think. :crazy:

As for the toothbrush, I still say be careful. I do use a super-soft baby toothbrush on stubborn hunks of crud, though I don't buy records that are really dirty, or have visible damage like scratches.

I suppose that the really dirty ones could be rejuvenated by the afore-mentioned cleaning.

But, after they are clean, more often than not, only then does the damage become evident.

You can't fix actual damage to the record.

That may not be a problem if you never intend to play the record.

I don't buy collector records, no matter how rare, if I can't listen to them.

Edited by patricia

What Jack sez.

Well guys, I bow to your superior knowledge.

I don't use soap because I was told by my jazz mentor, a collector for as long as anyone, that I shouldn't, because of the possible filming and the inevitable dust-catching that causes, even if you rinse thoroughly.

He has a huge collection, every album pristine, in it's cover and stored, on it's edge, alphabetically.

I felt strangely priviledged when I was allowed to peruse them and actually touch them.

Normally that carries the death penalty, I think. :crazy:

As for the toothbrush, I still say be careful. I do use a super-soft baby toothbrush on stubborn hunks of crud, though I don't buy records that are really dirty, or have visible damage like scratches.

I suppose that the really dirty ones could be rejuvenated by the afore-mentioned cleaning.

But, after they are clean, more often than not, only then does the damage become evident.

You can't fix actual damage to the record.

That may not be a problem if you never intend to play the record.

I don't buy collector records, no matter how rare, if I can't listen to them.

I rarely buy an album that isn't in excellent plus condition but to leave JATP for 50p when it might well play adequately after a little attention would be stupidity in my opinion.

What I do find ridiculous is the new trend in British charity shops (Oxfam take a bow) of playing unplayable records or even empty sleeves for £15+!

What I do find ridiculous is the new trend in British charity shops (Oxfam take a bow) of playing unplayable records or even empty sleeves for £15+!

I agree Oxfam should IMO be more careful, their generally non expert staff price by the book and take too little regard of the condition of the LPs. Countless times I've seen way over priced LPs in relatively poor condition. It's a real pity as this does them nor their customers or indeed their donors any favours. Having said that I have bought plenty LPs from them in excellent condition.

I agree Oxfam should IMO be more careful, their generally non expert staff price by the book and take too little regard of the condition of the LPs. Countless times I've seen way over priced LPs in relatively poor condition. It's a real pity as this does them nor their customers or indeed their donors any favours. Having said that I have bought plenty LPs from them in excellent condition.

A few years ago when prices were more reasonable I would buy anything that looked interesting regardless of condition. I'd often get 20-30 records at a time, usually costing me about £20-£35. Sometimes you'd get lucky and walk away with 15 or more good albums, other times you get two. Anything that didn't make the grade would go either back to the same shop as donations or to another charity shop. I'm certain they made more money from me this way than trying to sell Pentangle records that look like someone ice-skated on for £15 each.

First off, bear in mind that this is the same soap that one uses to wash dishes. I doubt that there is any discernable film left on my dishes after I wash them. I have been using this method for about 40 years with excellent results. In regards to toothbrushes, remember that this is the same device that rubs up against your gums, so by definition it is not abrasive. Record surfaces are far more durable than human gums! :rolleyes:

I saw legendary 78 collector Joe Bussard do that on a documentary with a precious Gennett or something. I thought he was putting on the filmmaker!

For awhile my local used record dealer sold a unite made of two round pieces of plexiglass with rubber beads on the edge and a clamp that ran through a hole in the middle. This was to put over record labels while cleaning with water so as not to get the label wet. Pretty low tech but I am told it worked petty well. I don't know if he still sells them.

For awhile my local used record dealer sold a unite made of two round pieces of plexiglass with rubber beads on the edge and a clamp that ran through a hole in the middle. This was to put over record labels while cleaning with water so as not to get the label wet. Pretty low tech but I am told it worked petty well. I don't know if he still sells them.

Tom, I think I mentioned it earlier, but labels almost never suffer from my cleaning the record under running hot water. The noteable exception, so far, are some Blue Notes. I don't know for sure what the labels are made of, but they stand up really well.

At first I thought they might peel off, but they don't.

WHEW.

I saw legendary 78 collector Joe Bussard do that on a documentary with a precious Gennett or something. I thought he was putting on the filmmaker!

Actually, Joe uses a shoe brush to clean his 78s. He claims that it does no damage to the records, but shellac might be different from vinyl in that regard. I certainly wouldn't scrub an LP with a shoe brush.