Aggie87

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bixieland

I think I might pick up the Legacy 2-disc'er for 15 buckarooskis. I pretty sure I don't have any of the second disc. But mainly, I've been waiting for a modern remastering of this gorgeous, gorgeous album. Not a bad price for two Miles albums.

I'm probably alone here, but I was never fully sold on the late-90s "20-bit" Columbia mastering. I always thought they sounded cold, thin, sucked-out and lifeless. I know that's probably a little harsh to say that. But they were so 2-dimensional, and void of texture. But speaking of harsh...on those re-issues, a harmon-muted Miles could be ear-bleedingly shrill to me. Downright painful if using a bright system! The more recent remastering of Miles stuff seems to capture the complexity of the mute so much better. It was never supposed to be a needle or a pin--but rather a plunger with a warm, rounded, buttery point. 3-D with texture, as opposed to 2-D with "texture representation."

As for this new Legacy Edition...from the samples I've been able to hear online, the mastering sounds full, clean and much, much richer. I stress warm. A nice full warmness, with lots of depth. The piano has heft and attack, not just a ping. You can hear the wood reverberating in the Steinway...yeah I like that. Was it a Steinway? Modern technology of late can really pack so much more of the delicate nuances of sound...especially something as rich and packed with conflicting detail as Miles' harmon-mute. Audio technology has exploded recently.

This'll be number 3 for me. I've got the 97' issue and the DualDisc. The DualDisc was nice, though kind of a let down. I thought the CD-side sounded a tad better than the 97' edtion. It was probably the same mastering--but I for some reason pretended it sound a little crisper! Mainly, it was nice to have the DVD-side with the 5.1 and Dolby Stereo versions. A little more presence, still cold...but a little deeper. Was it worth the 15 or 20 bucks? Sure, why not. But it was still a let-down.

But what I really wanted out of that DualDisc -- what I think this Legacy Edition appears to have -- is just a warm, rich and expressive helping of 24-bit goodness. Unless Classic Records releases a DVD-Audio version like they did with Blue Train -- or if I happen to land a bad-azz $10,000 vinyl rig...I should be happy with the Legacy Edition.

Edited by Bixieland

Guest Bixieland

...But mainly, I've been waiting for a modern remastering of this gorgeous, gorgeous album...

I believe the original mastering of the album would have been "modern," strictly speaking.

Maybe. But in 1997, when the 20bit Kind of Blue was released, I had Windows 3.1 and a gigabyte of hard drive space was ridiculously big!

Pickedup the DualDisc for $5.99 (used) and noticed the DVD side has 60 minutes of the DVD that's included on the 50th Anniversary set. I think the 50th has a 90 minute DVD.

Really, the Documentary is only 25 minutes. (that's included on both)

Edited by Tjazz

Guest Bixieland

I got the Legacy Edition the other day. Of the versions I now have (including the 97 edition and the DualDisc) this one sounds the best.

This version sounds fuller with fatter bass, and more weight and texture and punch on things like brush attacks. It has a slightly warmer and tube-like smoothness that makes it sound a little more organic, as opposed to digital-like. It has a nice controlled sizzle on the high-end, without any trace of glare.

The extreme lows and highs are better controlled with more depth and presence and there's more bass extension. I hear a little more background stuff to, feet shifting...it's a quiet album in a lot of places! Perhaps a little more compression is used to boost everything...not that it sound over compressed at all.

Going back and listening to the 97 edition, there's not as much fullness or presence and so it sounds slightly thinner. This still sounds nice, but there's less texture too. In Coltrane's solo I'm not hearing as much grit and reed. There's less detail and its not as full and round. Miles sounds a lot thinner. It sounds good, but there's just more to hear in the new version -- more of the fatness to Miles' mute. Chambers bowing is much thinner with less detail and texture than on the new version.

Switching back to the Legacy edition, it's sound much fuller and 3 dimensional! Miles mute sound great! The soundstaging is more focused and dynamic. Yes, there's them brushes! They're very clear. They have texture and weight. The added depth and dimension allows you to really see and focus on a particular part.

To me it was a worthy upgrade!

Edited by Bixieland

Guest Bixieland

There's a reason Cobb was the last man standing out of this happening.

There's a poignant purpose in the meter tapping out the finish. It all has to be in time children.

jimmy%20cobb%20miles.jpg

there's a mouse on mile's arm!

Edited by Bixieland

so there's the LP sized 2CD + DVD ridiculous deluxe release

there's a 2CD Legacy edition

and there's a 2CD + DVD fat-digipack-edition which costs about two zloty more than the Legacy edition...

I have the music in the Miles/Coltrane Sony 6CD box and am not audiophile enough to care for any upgrades, nor do I care much for the partial takes and false starts that I don't have - main thing is the alternate of "Flamenco Sketches" and I have that one.

So how about the DVD? Is the one in the cheap edition identical to the one in the ridiculous edition? Is it worth seing? Does it contain some musical footage of worth or just some short bits and pieces and lots of talk/interview segments?

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up the 2 disc Legacy edition. not sure if it sounds better than the Japanese 9000 series DSD versions of KOB and 1958 Miles.

One very annoying thing is that the second disc leave off the versions of "Little Melonae" which appear on my "1958 Miles" disc. While admittedly one of those tracks is actually from 55, why leave these off- they had the time even with the live track of So What.

I recently picked up the 50th Anniversary Box set of this -- I couldn't resist at the around $50 that I paid for it. Even though I have several versions of this too, I quite enjoy the book, DVD and LP and other goodies. I have an old LP of this and this new "Blue" LP sounds really great to my ears -- especially Paul Chambers bass sound (of course, I've not heard the mono version mentioned in the post above which I'm sure sounds awesome!!). A nice package -- except for the way they have the CD's and DVD stuck in cardboard slits in the package -- I had to take the CD's and DVD out and put them in plastic cases. My DVD was scratched but, luckily, seems to play fine. However, if I hadn't been able to get a good deal on the Box, I think I would have been happy with the new 2 disc set.

Yes.

I'm glad I bought mine. . . I really like the updated sound, especially updated for me on the second disc.

Haven't yet read the award winning liners.

Lon,

How would you compare this new KOB on cd to the Japanese DSD versions? My initial listen says the japanese versions have a wider soundstage and the instruments seem a bit more spread. Maybe the image is not quite as tight on the japanese - maybe a little haze there - and the background not as quiet. But I am not sure which I prefer at this time.

Anyone else have both these versions and wish to comment?

I picked up the 2 disc Legacy edition. not sure if it sounds better than the Japanese 9000 series DSD versions of KOB and 1958 Miles.

One very annoying thing is that the second disc leave off the versions of "Little Melonae" which appear on my "1958 Miles" disc. While admittedly one of those tracks is actually from 55, why leave these off- they had the time even with the live track of So What.

I see now that the '55 version of Little Melonae is on the domestic Legacy version of Round About Midnight.

Does anyone know if the '58 version appears on any domestic release?

Edited by skeith