Your favorite dates with three or four-horn front lines...

Rooster_Ties

This could be a long thread. Here are a few more:

Mingus Ah Um

George Russell: Ezz-thetics (all of his sextets would qualify)

Add "Blues & Roots" and "At Beethoven Hall" or whatever the Russell MPS is called!

Mingus is somewhere in between if we apply Larry's criteria (I did - that's why I mentioned Dameron instead of just some hardbop stuff that happens to have three horn frontlines, which is rather common if you give it some thought... Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Freddie Hubbard, Sonny Clark all did albums with three horns, so did quite a few organists, not just Jimmy Smith, I think...)

A couple of Italian recordings...

Guido Manusardi, THE VILLAGE FAIR

Gianluigi Trovesi, FROM G TO G

Oh, and any of the Henry Threadgill sessions on About Time (WHEN WAS THAT?. JUST THE FACTS AND PASS THE BUCKET, SUBJECT TO CHANGE).

Some three tenor albums I rather like

Melvin Rhyne & the Tenor Triangle - Tell it like it is - Criss Cross Jazz (Tad Schull, Ralph Lalama,Eric Alexander)

Rein de Graaff - Tenor conclave - Timeless (Teddy Edwards, Buck Hill, Von Freeman)

There's also

Les McCann in New York - PJ (Blue Mitchell, Stanley Turrentine & Frank Haynes)

All of those are blowing sessions, not much in the way of arrangements. For (loose) arrangements:

Bennie Green - Juggin' around - Vee Jay (Nat Adderley, Gene Ammons, Frank Foster, Frank Wess & Bennie)

David Newman - Fathead - Atlantic (Newman, Hank Crawford, Marcus Belgrave)

Tighter arrangements - by Slide Hampton

Philly Joe Jones - Drum song - Galaxy (Blue, Slide, Harold Land, Charles Bowen)

Slide Hampton - Sister Salvation - Atlantic (Slide, Freddie Hubbard, Bernard McKinney, George Coleman, Jay Cameron)

I'll probably think of a few more later.

MG

One that springs immediately to mind:

Charlie Rouse - Soul Mates (Uptown Records)

Recorded 1988, released 1993, and one of the finest jazz recordings of either decade. Rouse on tenor is joined by Sahib Shihab on baritone and Claudio Roditi on trumpet. Walter Davis, Jr. mans the piano, with Santi Debriano on bass and Victor Lewis on drums. Arrangements by Don Sickler. Superb!

Nessa should be able to hook you up with this one.

It sprang immediately to my mind, too! (I was turned on to this great album by a tape cassette from Kalo in the 90's. Thanks pal! :tup )

Also, it's probably been mentioned already (but deserves multiple mentions), the 1961 Benny Carter album Further Definitions with a four-saxophone frontline: Benny Carter & Phil Woods, altos; Coleman Hawkins & Charlie Rouse, tenors. The arrangements and playing are a wonderful melding of big-band and bop.

Also, it's probably been mentioned already (but deserves multiple mentions), the 1961 Benny Carter album Further Definitions with a four-saxophone frontline: Benny Carter & Phil Woods, altos; Coleman Hawkins & Charlie Rouse, tenors. The arrangements and playing are a wonderful melding of big-band and bop.

Ah yes! Another vote for that one.

Also

JATP the first concert - Illinois Jacquet, Jack McVea, J J Johnson, Shorty Sherock

And which organist was THE MAN for writing horn arrangements?

Charles Earland - Black drops - Prestige (Virgil Jones, Clayten Pruden (tb), Jimmy Heath)

Charles Earland - Soul story - Prestige (Gary Chandler (tp), James Vass (as, sop, fl), Houston Person (ts)

Charles Earland - Leaving this planet - Prestige (Freddie Hubbard, Eddie Henderson, Joe Henderson, Dave Hubbard)

Charles Earland - Intensity - Prestige (Lee Morgan, Hubert Laws, Billy Harper)

Charles Earland - Kharma - Prestige (Jon Faddis, Clifford Adams, Dave Hubbard)

Charles Earland - Whip appeal - Muse (Johnny Coles, Jeffrey Newell (as, sop), Houston Person)

MG

And how could I forget that Mongo Santamania always carried at least three horns, often four

some favourites

Soul bag - Columbia (Luis Gasca, Sonny Fortune, Hubert Laws, MAuricio Smith)

Stone soul - Columbia (Luis Gasca, Sonny Fortune, Hubert Laws, Hadley Caliman, Art Kaplan)

At the Village Gate - Battle (Marty Sheller, Bobby Capers, Pat Patrick)

Summertime & Montreux heat - Pablo (Dizzy Gillespie, Tommy Villarini, Doug Harris, Alan Hoist)

Brazilian sunset - Candid (Eddie Allen, Jimmy Cozier, Craig Rivers)

MG