expensive CD's where the quality of the material was so good...

Rooster_Ties

I always chuckle when I see what are considered 'expensive' CDs by our American cousins are still 2/3 of the price I'd expect to pay in a regular store here.

Yeah, full price here is around $29 for one CD. BTW I got the Shihab at 18.99 from Dusty. A steal! :)

I'm sure someone can explain this, but ... since CDs are apparently cheaper in the U.S., why not buy them here? If you were able to buy several CDs from one source and have them shipped as a single order (presumably cutting the cost of mail a bit) wouldn't this be more cost-effective?

That's pretty much what I do. All my CD shopping is on the internet these days, usually from the US and, even adding postage and packing, it works out cheaper than the trade price of a UK CD (usually significantly cheaper).

This one merits inclusion - currently out of stock at Dusty but was over the $20 mark when available. And worth every cent based on the scarcity of the original and the quality of the music.

shihab_sahi_sahibshih_103b.jpg

Hey sidewinder,

I saw this one myself and was more than a bit curious, but I had just purchased the Fresh Sounds 2 cd set and wasn't sure it would be up to the same standard, is it?

Cliff - I don't know the Fresh Sounds Shihab set but can vouch that this one is top notch Shihab. Up to the best standard of sessions like 'Seeds' and 'Companionship' and the work with CBBB etc.

I don't have the CD but I have one of those Oktav Japanese facsimile LPs, which sounds fantastic. Recommend that next time this comes in at Dusty, press the trigger marked 'fire' :g .

I think the fact that it has at least one (???), vocal track on it was putting me off, oh yeah, that and the price. I think it was nearly €20 or something like that.

mombasa~~~~_africanrh_101s.jpgmombasa~~~~_africanrh_103s.jpg <<< Mombasa -- African Rhythms & Blues ... CD ~~and~~ Mombasa -- African Rhythms & Blues 2 ... CD

Spiegelei/Sonorama (Germany), 1975 and 1976. New Copy .... $18.99 each -- Sweet Jesus, are these dates cool. The first one is kinda short (36-ish minutes), and the second one longer (like 44), but man -- they BOTH totally kick ass like nothing I've heard in ages. The 2nd one is even better than the first (grooves harder, with more brass soloing, and more true funk/afro/jazz tunes), and the 2nd one also seems to be easier to get these days -- so feel free to start there, really.

Rooster it is probably that I just haven't been paying attention, but it seems you've started posting again after a bit of hiatus?

At any rate, THANK YOU for this. As a fan of African music from reggae to afrobeat and all types of afrojazz, I really enjoy the first Mombasa album, which I learned of here on an older, different thread. But that thread made no reference to a second album by these guys!

I see Dusty Groove has it, I will have to track it down ASAP.

Curtis Fuller's Bone & Bari is a dynamite session. I picked up the Japanese import, and I think it set me back about $25, but it was totally worth it, as the sound of the front line is pretty unusual. It is a short record, but it is wonderful stuff. No regrets.

f41037lixyo.jpg

Edited by martini

Curtis Fuller's Bone & Bari is a dynamite session. I picked up the Japanese import, and I think it set me back about $25, but it was totally worth it, as the sound of the front line is pretty unusual. It is a short record, but it is wonderful stuff. No regrets.

f41037lixyo.jpg

Nice cover, too. (I've got it on the Curtis Fuller Mosaic so I don't have that cover.)

• 2 weeks later...

This one merits inclusion - currently out of stock at Dusty but was over the $20 mark when available. And worth every cent based on the scarcity of the original and the quality of the music.

Indeed. This and Sentiments are great. I had both by Amazon.com at a really good price.

I am really fond of Seeds and Live at The Montmartre on Black Lion too, maybe more. Shihab made some really wonderful records. I started to understand and love his smooth, strong musicianship in CBBB records. What an underrated musician.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

Hey sidewinder,

I saw this one myself and was more than a bit curious, but I had just purchased the Fresh Sounds 2 cd set and wasn't sure it would be up to the same standard, is it?

Cliff - I don't know the Fresh Sounds Shihab set but can vouch that this one is top notch Shihab. Up to the best standard of sessions like 'Seeds' and 'Companionship' and the work with CBBB etc.

I don't have the CD but I have one of those Oktav Japanese facsimile LPs, which sounds fantastic. Recommend that next time this comes in at Dusty, press the trigger marked 'fire' :g .

I think the fact that it has at least one (???), vocal track on it was putting me off, oh yeah, that and the price. I think it was nearly €20 or something like that.

After years adoring Shihab's very singing on his tune "Please Don't Leave" in a CBBB record, I think I had this CD also because of it. Instrumentalists can be greatly expressive singers, sometimes.

At any rate, THANK YOU for this. As a fan of African music from reggae to afrobeat and all types of afrojazz, I really enjoy the first Mombasa album, which I learned of here on an older, different thread. But that thread made no reference to a second album by these guys!

They made four! albums:

Mombasa: african rhythms & blues - Intercord/Spiegelei 1975

Mombasa 2: african rhythms & blues - Intercord/Spiegelei 1976

Ode To Kalahari - Intercord/Spiegelei 1979

Peace Maker - Pläne 1981

They made four! albums:

Mombasa: african rhythms & blues - Intercord/Spiegelei 1975

Mombasa 2: african rhythms & blues - Intercord/Spiegelei 1976

Ode To Kalahari - Intercord/Spiegelei 1979

Peace Maker - Pläne 1981

Really been enjoying Mombasa 2 (picked it up at Dusty Groove) thanks again Rooster.

I think I can assume this one and "Peacemaker" aren't available on CD. Well I can only hope!!

odetokalahari.jpg

Edited by riverrat

Is this the same Mombasa?

tathagata.jpg

HERE is the link where I found this...sure sounds like the same group, and the timeframe is correct

EDIT, its the same group:

Label: WIND Records

Catalog#: WIND 002

Format: Vinyl, LP, Album

Released: 1980

Genre: Funk / Soul, Jazz

Style: Jazz-Funk, Afrobeat, Modal

Credits: Bass - Ed Wright

Congas, Percussion - Tom Nicholas

Congas, Percussion, Vocals - Darryl Wilson , Donald Coleman

Drums, Percussion - Tony Nahar

Trombone, Vocals, Percussion - Lou Blackburn

Trumpet, Percussion - Carmell Jones

Notes: Recorded January 1980 at Cornet Studio, Cologne, Germany. Published by veraBra Music

Tracklisting:

A1 Requiem For The Third World (4:40)

A2 Kumbayah (3:32)

A3 Devi Devi Den Beintu (4:48)

A4 Drums Of Mombasa (2:41)

A5 Diana´s Venti (1:55)

B1 Call And Response (4:53)

B2 Tathagata (2:18)

B3 Zimbabwe (5:30)

B4 O'Bachulli (2:22)

Edited by riverrat