2008-2009 Hot Stove Thread

tkeith

J.C. Romero suspended for 50 games....

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...suspension.html

Considering it was the first time a banned substance was found in an FDA-regulated, over-the-counter supplement - one available to every major-leaguer and millions of youths - that should have sounded alarms. But no one from MLB, the players' association or the Phillies told Romero that there was a problem with the supplement.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not going to be any fun being a braves fan this year!!! :(

The Red Sox are getting perhaps the most competitive player in the game, no matter what the age....the question will be what he can still do....

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/b...tz_red_sox.html

I guess thats good especially if he can bounce back from this surgery ....BUT what we really need is a catcher and a 4th outfielder!!!!!

anyone watching the new MLB channel?

it's free on comcast digital cable in my area

I am, and I'm digging it very much. They're supposed to run "Classic Games" from the past, and I'm especially interested in games from the 1950s & 60s, the Don Larson perfect game was a blast to watch. Once spring training starts, it should be the place to go, I'm not a big fan of Baseball Tonight.

Zen, supposedly the Sox are also close to a deal with Baldelli - so at least they have a fifth outfielder. If they knew that his medical condition is treatable and he could go back to playing semi-regularly, or could take over for Drew when he takes his annual summer vacation, then it wouldn't be a bad move. But the medical uncertainties makes me question it.

Which brings us to Smoltz. If he somehow returns to anything approaching his former level of greatness, yeah, its a great deal. But I thought I read somewhere that he had to adapt a new delivery in order to throw with less discomfort, post-surgery. So what is the likelihood that he helps in any significant way? Signing one "low cost/high reward" guy in Penny made sense, but why two? And what's really annoying is when people like Olney speculate that their new "pitching surplus" will allow them to trade a young pitcher for a catcher. What fucking pitching surplus? One of Smoltz incentives may be a roster bonus if he is ready by June 1. He doesn't do shit for our pitching "surplus" - not yet, anyway.

The Red Sox are getting perhaps the most competitive player in the game, no matter what the age....the question will be what he can still do....

I guess thats good especially if he can bounce back from this surgery ....BUT what we really need is a catcher and a 4th outfielder!!!!!

My guess is that Smoltz would take over Masterson's spot, and JM would return to the rotation. This frees up Buchholz for the Saltalamacchia trade.

Saw this morning that they're in talks with Rocco Baldelli, which addresses the 4th OF spot nicely, IMHO.

My guess is that Smoltz would take over Masterson's spot, and JM would return to the rotation. This frees up Buchholz for the Saltalamacchia trade.

Saw this morning that they're in talks with Rocco Baldelli, which addresses the 4th OF spot nicely, IMHO.

The Rocco Baldelli deal is done !

I can't imagine Baldelli took it to be a fifth starter, so I have to assume that leaves Kotsay out of the picture, which I think is unfortunate. He showed he can handle the glove at 1B and RF and his poor hitting seemed to be mostly a function of bad luck - lots of balls he hit should have fallen in, or at least were hit hard.

Now what do they do about Youk's backup? Its hardly an idle concern, since no one knows for sure that Lowell will handle 3B from Opening Day. There are a couple of AAAA types at Pawtucket who could take the job, but they're likely to be nothing more than replacement level. A Kotsay would be excellent insurance at 1B and the OF, for the uncertainties with Lowell as well as Rocco.

Yeah Dan, your team has some real issues! Only 23 starting pitchers, no back up 1st baseman, thank God the Braves don't have problems like that! :rolleyes::P

Seriously, no one can imagine what it's like to lose someone like Smoltz,(Maybe Brett Farve fans, but Smoltz actually performs come playoff time) for a few million dollars!!! He has taken smaller contracts , deferred pay(I think he has, I know Chipper has) pitched with a seriously damaged arm, and very well with said damaged arm. And this was the thanks. Sign for the Braves for less money for virtually no chance to get in the playoffs, why didn't he do that???

Fans are really, really, pissed at the GM Frank Wren. He probably needs body guards right now. Supposedly we had 40 mil to spend, and only got Javy Vasquez(And gave up way too much to get him)

I cannot remember a worse off season. Actually, no other off season has come close. Nearly had Peavy, but no trade. Nearly had AJ Burnett, but didn't sweeten the deal. HAD Rafael Furcal, but being a pussy, he and his pussy agent reneged on the deal. For some reason, the team shows no interest in Derek Lowe, or Oliver Perez.

Team really wants a right handed bat, so ignoring Dunn and Abreu. Team seems to want to waste time and money and give Andruw Jones another shot.

Attendance is going to be abysmal this season.

Add to that a season that Chip Carey died, and his long time partner Pete Van Weiren retired...and well, nothing seems the same.

I guess "we" are paying for all those pennants when it seemed all the Braves had to do was throw their gloves on the field, didn't matter what rejects were pitching, or hitting.....

Well, if those 5 anchors holding Smoltz's shoulder together, hold his shoulder togother....should be a very interesting season...not for braves fans, but still interesting.

From the ajc beat writer David O'Brien(buried within about 900 posts)

Boyer on Smoltz’s mound sessions (Boyer has seen them all): “I tell you right now, if he wanted to, he could be ready start of the season. He’s throwing all five pitches, and throwing [his fastball] over 90 [miles per hour]. It’s just freakish. No other way to put it. He’s a freak of nature.

“I’ve never seen anything like it. If he was 22, it’d be ludicrous what he’s doing — and he’s 20 years older than that. It’s unbelievable.”

More Boyer stuff in my main story that should be up online, or soon if it’s not.

Well, if those 5 anchors holding Smoltz's shoulder together, hold his shoulder togother....should be a very interesting season...not for braves fans, but still interesting.

From the ajc beat writer David O'Brien(buried within about 900 posts)

Boyer on Smoltz’s mound sessions (Boyer has seen them all): “I tell you right now, if he wanted to, he could be ready start of the season. He’s throwing all five pitches, and throwing [his fastball] over 90 [miles per hour]. It’s just freakish. No other way to put it. He’s a freak of nature.

“I’ve never seen anything like it. If he was 22, it’d be ludicrous what he’s doing — and he’s 20 years older than that. It’s unbelievable.”

More Boyer stuff in my main story that should be up online, or soon if it’s not.

This is GOOD News !

Yeah, it seems like the odds are pretty good that we'll see something approximating the old Smoltz, instead of getting Old Smoltz. ;)

According to the Globe

There remains one opening: a backup first baseman, a role Sean Casey filled last season. "We've made a lot of progress in our attempt to fill that spot," Epstein said. "I think it will be important for the versatility of this club, usually only having a four-man bench because of our 12-man pitching staff, to have a backup first baseman also be able to play solid outfield. I think we're getting close to being able to fill that spot with someone that we trust to play good outfield defense and also play a good first base. Maybe more on that next week perhaps." Epstein might be talking about Mark Kotsay, who finished the season with the Sox after he was acquired in August. Kotsay was looking for a starting position, but might be relegated to a backup spot because of a slow-developing free agent market.

And now the Herald's Sean McAdam and Michael Silverman, Kotsay has indeed agreed in principle to a one year/1.5 million dollar contract.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...sox#articleFull

This is fine news, as we know he can back up Drew if Baldelli can't, and he's insurance if Youk has to play 3B for Lowell, particularly at the start of the season.

Now if they re-sign Varitek, a bench of Baldelli/Kotsay/Lugo/Bard is pretty darn good (as long as Lugo doesn't have to play too much).

Oh, and I saw that Rosenthal is reporting that the Sox still won't give up Clay for Salty, but might give up Bowden or Bard. As long as its not both, I could probably deal with that.

Yeah, it seems like the odds are pretty good that we'll see something approximating the old Smoltz, instead of getting Old Smoltz. ;)

According to the Globe

There remains one opening: a backup first baseman, a role Sean Casey filled last season. "We've made a lot of progress in our attempt to fill that spot," Epstein said. "I think it will be important for the versatility of this club, usually only having a four-man bench because of our 12-man pitching staff, to have a backup first baseman also be able to play solid outfield. I think we're getting close to being able to fill that spot with someone that we trust to play good outfield defense and also play a good first base. Maybe more on that next week perhaps." Epstein might be talking about Mark Kotsay, who finished the season with the Sox after he was acquired in August. Kotsay was looking for a starting position, but might be relegated to a backup spot because of a slow-developing free agent market.

And now the Herald's Sean McAdam and Michael Silverman, Kotsay has indeed agreed in principle to a one year/1.5 million dollar contract.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...sox#articleFull

This is fine news, as we know he can back up Drew if Baldelli can't, and he's insurance if Youk has to play 3B for Lowell, particularly at the start of the season.

Now if they re-sign Varitek, a bench of Baldelli/Kotsay/Lugo/Bard is pretty darn good (as long as Lugo doesn't have to play too much).

Oh, and I saw that Rosenthal is reporting that the Sox still won't give up Clay for Salty, but might give up Bowden or Bard. As long as its not both, I could probably deal with that.

I bet you Lugo is the starting SS on opening day !

I cannot remember a worse off season. Actually, no other off season has come close. Nearly had Peavy, but no trade. Nearly had AJ Burnett, but didn't sweeten the deal. HAD Rafael Furcal, but being a pussy, he and his pussy agent reneged on the deal. For some reason, the team shows no interest in Derek Lowe, or Oliver Perez.

Hmmm... there was 1980/81, when they had all but locked up Dave Winfield, only to have him leave the dinner and be the victim of racial epithets in the streets of Hotlanta, which irked him enough to choose the Skankees.

I'm liking the look of the crimson hose. I'll like them even more when the Saltalamacchia deal gets done! Zen, I worry that your thoughts on Lugo may be correct, but I'm seriously hoping not. Lugo would make a spectacular utility player, and an abysmal starting SS.

Looks like Brad Penny will be a Red Sox this year. I really like this one for Boston; one year is a pretty safe contract, and players who have something to prove usually do good, plus, Penny will get a big multi-year contract is he does well. Smart move by Boston.

I agree, though you seem to have missed the pre-New Year's announcement that this was happening.

And I guess we should now officially call Theo "Low-Risk/High-Reward Epstein":

First Penny. Then Smoltz. Now Takashi Saito:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9058832...reliever-Saito-

A one year deal with a club option. I know the guy had a serious elbow injury for which he underwent some weird experimental injection therapy instead of surgery. But he's passed his physical, according to Rosenthal, and when he was healthy with the Dodgers, he was positively nasty. The bullpen has some serious potential now, particularly if Masterson is kept there. Saito/Okajima/Masterson + that Ramirez dude they got from KC in the Coco trade; and you still have Manny Delcarmen as a sixth/seventh inning reliever (if he'd ever put it all together, that's a guy who could easily be a premier setup man too). Suggests strongly that Smoltz is ticketed for the rotation, which means potentially Wakefield as a long-man.

Also suggests even stronger the possibility that they will pull the trigger on a deal for a catcher, but I really wish they wouldn't. Too many medical issues with too many of their additions. Bring 'Tek back cheap - they could easily have the pitching staff to cover up his offensive shortcomings. If everyone is healthy, they'll have sick depth in both the bullpen and rotation. Even if only two out of Penny/Smoltz/Saito are healthy, this takes one of the best pitching staffs and makes it even better.

If you're a fan of the Yankees or the Red Sox, this next season is shaping up to be one of the most entertaining in recent memory. Both teams have reloaded and the intensity of the rivalry should be off the charts. I can only think of one thing that could have made this any better and that's if the Yanks had signed Manny.

Is it February yet?

Up over and out.

I think Tampa's achilles heel will be the bullpen, which is unlikely to duplicate 2008 (a lot of variation is inherent in middle relief performance, the likelihood of everyone pitching as well again is pretty slim, plus their closer gave everyone heart attacks on the best days) but David Price is a big upgrade to a pretty strong rotation; the Sox will be in trouble if Lowell and/or Papi don't bounce back (more so if Papi isn't Papi, I think that Youk is fine at 3B and Kotsay is good backup for Youk at first) but if they do, they'll be strong, and if the medical reclamation projects workout, they could be a juggernaut; the Yanks have questions about the back of the rotation plus Burnett, and a lot of aging players are relied on to come back and be as good as they were (Posada, Matsui, Jeter, plus Damon is no spring chicken).

I think Tampa's achilles heel will be the bullpen, which is unlikely to duplicate 2008 (a lot of variation is inherent in middle relief performance, the likelihood of everyone pitching as well again is pretty slim, plus their closer gave everyone heart attacks on the best days) but David Price is a big upgrade to a pretty strong rotation; the Sox will be in trouble if Lowell and/or Papi don't bounce back (more so if Papi isn't Papi, I think that Youk is fine at 3B and Kotsay is good backup for Youk at first) but if they do, they'll be strong, and if the medical reclamation projects workout, they could be a juggernaut; the Yanks have questions about the back of the rotation plus Burnett, and a lot of aging players are relied on to come back and be as good as they were (Posada, Matsui, Jeter, plus Damon is no spring chicken).

Plus will Mo Riviera finally start to become human......how old is this guy ?

LOL!! :rofl: One Flap Down :rofl: I haven't thought of Jeffrey Leonard in a long time! I was studying in Berkeley during that Giants team heyday, and it was a fun team to watch, plus, Candlestick was not that bad of a park, just got freezing cold.

jeffrey200x204.jpg

Leonard had the greatest nickname in the history of baseball. He was known as "Penitentiary Face".

In the early '80's, I made the mistake of going to Candlestick (or Windlestick as they used to call it) for an afternoon game dressed in shorts and a T-shirt. Vida Blue was pitching for the Giants and Steve Carlton for the Phillies. Sounds like a great match-up, but it got so cold around the third inning, my brain shut down. I have no recollection of much of anything after that.

Up over and out.

Stop it.

The 'Stick was an awesome ballpark full of character. I remember going there when you could still see out to Hunter's Point. When they closed it in, the wind blew havok on opposing players. I saw Gaylord Perry throw a no hitter against Don Drysdale and the [hated] Dodgers back in 1966.

OK, so you were cold. Big F'ing Deal. In Boston or NY you'll sweat to death in the mugginess...or get rained on.

I'll take the winds off of the Bay over sticky, sweaty heat any day of the week.

Attention Chuch Nessa: Tonight's Classic Game on the MLB Network: 8:00 PM 4/21/1991 Chicago @ Pittsburgh Resulting in a 13-12 Shootout

Goodspeak: I really enjoyed the 'Stick, I even received a couple of "endurance pins" for watching an extra inning game. That 1980s Giants team deserves to be remembered for more that getting swept during th "Earthquake Series," it was a fun and exciting team to watch, and full of interesting characters. Poor Penitentiary Face, he wore out his welcome at the end, even had (according to The Chronical" Will Clark drop a N-bomb on him.

Encouraging news about Saito's elbow:

The Red Sox put Saito through an extensive physical over the past two days, including an MRI. Epstein said Saito has "no pain whatsoever."

I can't quite figure out why an elbow ligament "sprain" led to a recommendation of Tommy John surgery - isn't that for when the ligament actually has a full tear? But if the ligament damage no longer shows up in an MRI and he reports "no pain", this could be a huge addition to the bullpen.

Encouraging news about Saito's elbow:

The Red Sox put Saito through an extensive physical over the past two days, including an MRI. Epstein said Saito has "no pain whatsoever."

I can't quite figure out why an elbow ligament "sprain" led to a recommendation of Tommy John surgery - isn't that for when the ligament actually has a full tear? But if the ligament damage no longer shows up in an MRI and he reports "no pain", this could be a huge addition to the bullpen.

How many pitchers can the Sox carry ????......it seems like the whole team is pitching !