2008 Top Ten

Guest Bill Barton

I've probably only gotten 10 or so CDs from 2008 (not counting reissues), so getting to 10 is hard, though ordering them is a different story.

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Kinsmen (I do wish I had Apti and will seek that out)

Roy Hargrove - Ear Food

Vijay Iyer - Tragicomic

Rava/Bollani - The Third Man

Greg Osby - 9 Levels (even though I was not crazy about the vocals)

Pat Metheny - Day Trip

Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Holon (liked Stoa better but this was good)

Sonny Rollins - Road Shows, Vol. 1 (mostly a reissue but I'll include it)

Reptet - Chicken or Beef?

and of course

Organissimo - Groovadelphia

So I guess that's pretty much all the brand new music I listened to in 2008

Best world music of 2008

Toumani Diabate - The Mande Variations (Andy Palacio's Watina is very good but apparently from 2007)

A Top 10 of some sort in alphabetic order:

- Anthony Braxton/ Milford Graves/ William Parker: "Beyond Quantum" (Tzadik 7626)

- Canaries On The Pole: "#2" (Creative Sources 135)

- Silke Eberhard Trio: "Being" (Jazzwerkstatt 027)

- Peter Evans/ Walter Weasel Group: "Oculus Ex Abyssus" (EXPLODE Records ug28/ LP)

- Jacques Foschia: "Clair Obscur" (Creative Sources 108 CD)

- Rolf Kühn & Tri-O: "Rollercoaster" (Jazzwerkstatt 039)

- Lindsay/ Mendoza/ Smith/ Walter: "Jus" (bpa 013)

- Trio Hot (Jörgensman/ Maurer/ Jacquemyn): "Jink" (Nemu 008)

- Alexander von Schlippenbach: "Piano Solo '77" (FMP C129)

- Miguel Zenon: "Awake" (Marsalis Music 0925)

+ - Blue Notes: "The Ogun Collection" (Ogun OGCD 024-028)

and The Braxton Mosaic

Edited by P.L.M

I published a top 10 list in yesterday's Detroit Free Press. Here's a link: http://freep.com/article/20081228/ENT04/812280321/1039/ent04

On the "there's way more good music out there than it's humanly possible to hear" front:

I haven't heard a single one of your picks, Mark!

I sympathize. As much as I'm priviledged to hear a ton of recorded music, there's just so much that passes by unheard. Case in point: Here's a link to the Village Voice Jazz Poll results published this week in which 79 critics voted. If you follow the related content links, you can look at every single individual ballot. Talk about more music than is humanly possible to hear ... but the value of such lists is that it does put stuff on the radar. (In the Voice poll, we were asked to vote for three reissues and best debut, vocal and Latin jazz albums too. One detail about my choices: For the Free Press, I had a hometown-bias change-of-heart and subbed in Detroit-native Bennie Maupin's "Early Reflections" for John McNeil/Bill McHenry's "Rediscovery." )

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-12-31/mus...zz-poll-winners

Edited by Mark Stryker

Hoping to nab a copy of that Halvorson. Looks like my kinda shit.

Seems to be a hard disc to get hold off. Backordered thru amazon as I couldn't bear the $18 postage charge that Firehouse wanted to charge me !!!. It sounds as if it'll be worth the wait

It's available on emusic, if you care to go that route. Very interesting disc!

Hoping to nab a copy of that Halvorson. Looks like my kinda shit.

Seems to be a hard disc to get hold off. Backordered thru amazon as I couldn't bear the $18 postage charge that Firehouse wanted to charge me !!!. It sounds as if it'll be worth the wait

It's available on emusic, if you care to go that route. Very interesting disc!

Here are 2 non-jazz albums that really caught my attention this year, both are available from emusic for those interested.

SNN90_300dpi.jpg

Beautiful, sparse album of instrumental drones (primarily clean guitar sounds) with a guest appearance by Bill Frisell on 3 songs.

ath-5069.jpg

One of the few retro bands I've heard that actually get the mixture right. There are a couple clunkers, but the majority of the songs here are quite good and I love their open-ended jams. They need to develop a little more but the raw ingredients are definitely here.

Francis Davis invited me to take part once again in the Village Voice poll, which I appreciated. It is challenging to come up with individual lists for each outlet requesting them, sometimes having to merge reissues and historic discoveries with the new releases. And there are always second thoughts. After giving Francis the Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Avatar CD for my Latin jazz pick, I believe that I should have chosen Arturo O'Farrill & the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra: Song For Chico.

I even tried explaining how I went about compiling my best of lists in an article for AAJ:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=28235

man, just reminded me how far behind I am in my listening <_<

I've given up. I buy a CD now and then, sporadically and on a whim, but I no longer have a must-buy list, or even try to keep up with what's new. I have so much stuff already that I need to listen to more, not to mention emusic downloads that I haven't even gotten around to listening to yet!

I have so much stuff already that I need to listen to more, not to mention...that I haven't even gotten around to listening to yet!

It was for this reason that I quit Your Music. I have about 1,000 cd's, which I know is a small collection compared to many of you, but that's more than I can listen to twice over the course of a year.

It's enjoyable to hear something new to the collection, but when you listen to an album only once or twice a year it seems almost new too.

Ten new recordings released in 2008 that I liked:

Bobby Previte--Set the Alarm for Monday (Palmetto)

Greg Osby and Nine Levels (Inner Circle)

Chico Hamilton Trio--It's About Time (Joyous Shout)

Oliver Lake Organ Trio--Makin' It (Passin' Through)

James Carter--Present Tense (emarcy)

Stanley Jordan--State of Nature (Mack Avenue)

Vijay Iyer--Tragicomic (Sunnyside)

Organiissimo--Groovadelphia (Big O)

Roy Hargrove--Earfood (Emarcy)

Charles Lloyd--Rabo de Nube (ECM)

Three Latin CDs:

Bebo Valdes and Javier Collins, Live at the Village Vanguard (Norte)

Buena Vista Social Club at Carnegie Hall (World Circuit)

Lila Downs--Shake Away (Blue Note)

Three blues CDs--

Otis Taylor--Recapturing the Bango (Telarc)

Buddy Guy--Skin Deep (Silvertone)

Little Jimmy King Live at B.B. Kings (King James)

• 1 year later...

ok, since I mentioned in the "2009 top ten" thread how far behind I always was... a few 2008 favourites include:

Alpine Aspects - Homage to O.C. (Universal Austria)

O.C. is Ornette Coleman of course, and this project features Wolfgang Puschnig, Herbert Joos, Jon Sass, Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Reinhart Winkler with the Amstetten Brass Band (dir. Robert Pussecker). Sort of an Alpine, or rather Tyrolian, look at some of Ornette's tunes (Peace Warriors, Latin Genetics, Theme From a Symphoney, and In All Languages) as well as some Puschnig and Pussecker tunes, and a traditional.

Stefano Bollani - Carioca (Emarcy/Universal)

A latin jazz project by the great pianist - beautiful music!

Charlie Haden - Rambling Boy (Verve/Universal)

A discovery for me... having discovered some of the early 70s stuff by Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons, the Flying Burritos etc, I went further on and got some more Johnny Cash etc. This came in handy, and to me it feels very genuine and the music's beautiful.

Aldo Romano - Just Jazz (Dreyfus)

A fine quartet with the great Géraldine Laurent on alto, Mauro Negri on clarinet, Henri Texier on bass and the leader's drums. Mostly short pieces, including some Romano staples (Lontananza), a pair of classics (Maple Leaf Rag and Black and Blue), and some tunes with clear dedications (Township, Chick Webb). A fine example of working in the tradition without sticking the head in one's ass...

And of course some of the great reissues dedicated to South African Jazz need to be mentioned (they've been mentioned by others above, but this is my own list now...):

The Blue Notes (Ogun Box)

and all the Fledg'ling reissues by Chris McGregor

Edited by king ubu