Hoops 2008-2009

Speaking of calls, I thought the officiating was weird. What seemed like ticky tacky calls in the early going put the Lakers in a real bind, then a blatant elbow to the head by Bryant when he threw that pass out to Fisher doesn't get called? What's the deal with that? ... Having said that, it seemed like a pretty physical game, especially in the paint, so probably a no-win for the officials no matter how they tried to control it.

It doesn't surprise me that there was no call on that play, mouthpiece boy was moving and they owed the Lakers about 25 whistles. We can go through the laundry list of muggings they let Howard get away with--including shoving Gasol in the back which was called a foul on Gasol, reaching across Ariza's body with a virtual bear hug for what should have been his 5th foul but instead was called a jump ball, and setting more blatantly moving picks without getting it called than anyone since Chris Webber and the Sacramento Queens. Add to that the fact that Turkoglu pushes off on every single jumper to create room, uncalled touch fouls when Kobe gets hit on the arm by Pietrus, and the phantom whistles on Bynum...

The Lakers shot zero free throws in the 4th quarter to the Magic's 13 attempts.

Well, the other stuff aside, it was an elbow to the head. Seems like a foul.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nelson was moving, and the offensive player must be given the space to pivot unless the defender is set and straight up. If you put your face too close to the ballhandler, you run the risk of taking one off the chin. I've seen it called both ways, depending on the perceived intent of the offensive player and the positioning of the defender.

Nelson was moving, and the offensive player must be given the space to pivot unless the defender is set and straight up. If you put your face too close to the ballhandler, you run the risk of taking one off the chin. I've seen it called both ways, depending on the perceived intent of the offensive player and the positioning of the defender.

If it were anyone else I would have to say,"good non-call" but considering Kobe's history of throwing elbows I think the league needs to review it. I also think they should suspend Michael Pietrus for that foul on Gasol.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

As much as I like the college game, and as much as I agree that players leaving early hurts the college game, high school graduates are legal adults. They should be allowed to make whatever professional decision they desire. The success stories are many: Darryl Dawkins, Shawn Kemp, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum...Europeans such as Tony Parker were pro overseas in their late teens, and the experience has made them impact players at a very young age.

If anything, the NCAA should do itself a favor and relax its eligibility rules to allow players to come back to school if under 25 and their pro careers are not panning out.

Here's the highlights of Fisher's two big threes.

Who will be the next(2nd) USA high schooler to skip his senior year and the prom and go to Europe?

Who was the first?

Come on Soul.

Jeremy Tyler was/is first. Youtube this beast.

Next will be Anthony(Tony) Wroten Jr., junior to be out of Seattle.

Sorry, the NBA is broke. Check out some HS games in south central.

Even "The Chosen One" is leaving USA HS at 16 to play pro baseball sooner.

the chosen one

Edited by wolff

Condolences Magic fans! The Lakers earned this title, and won games which were completely up for grabs. Kobe Bryant, MVP averages 30ppg and just under 8apg. One of the best nights of my life as a sports fan. A dominant close-out win.

Wow....

Spurs acquire Jefferson from Bucks

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- A Bucks official with knowledge of the deal said Tuesday that Milwaukee plans to trade scoring forward Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto, giving them a veteran cast and financial flexibility.

The person confirmed the pending trade to The Associated Press and requested anonymity because the deal is not official until a call later Tuesday. ESPN.com first reported details of the deal.

The Bucks are sending Jefferson away less than a year after acquiring the scoring forward in a draft day trade last season with New Jersey for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons. Jefferson's contract has two years and $29.2 million remaining on it.

Jefferson was a steady offensive force for Milwaukee last season after spending his first seven years in New Jersey. He averaged 19.6 points and shot a career-high 39.7 percent from 3-point range while starting all 82 games.

Jefferson became the Bucks' biggest offensive threat after Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut suffered season-ending injuries, but the Bucks' tight financial situation made a move necessary. Milwaukee does not want to pay the NBA's luxury tax, which last year hit teams dollar-for-dollar once they reach $71.15 million in total payroll.

Redd, Bogut and Jefferson are scheduled to make more than $41 million combined this season.

The trade was a shock to at least one Bucks player: Charlie Villanueva posted "RJ traded to Spurs. Wow" on his Twitter account before the trade was official.

The deal actually might allow the Bucks to keep Ramon Sessions or Villanueva himself, since both are restricted free agents.

Bowen, Thomas and Oberto give the Bucks a veteran group. None is signed beyond the upcoming season.

Bowen, 38, is a 13-year veteran known for his defensive efforts against the Western Conference's top guards. Thomas, 36, has played 14 years in the NBA, primarily at forward and center, and has been a bench player each of the last three seasons, averaging 4.3 points last year.

Oberto, 34, has played four years in San Antonio, averaging 3.6 points per game in his NBA career. Last season he underwent a procedure to correct an irregular heartbeat.

Great trade for the Spurs. I don't know if it will be enough to get by the Lakers though.

I agree. Hate to see Bowen go, always thought he'd retire a Spur. But he doesn't have much left in the tank I don't think. Thomas and Oberto are role players, and their numbers should be replaceable pretty easily.

Not sure it's enough to get past the Lakers either, but it's nice to see they're finally shaking things up a little.

I thought Drew Gooden was going to be a good pickup for them this past season. I think he could fit in pretty well, with a full offseason.