A friend left me last night

Sorry to hear of your loss. I am still haunted by the ugly death of Maggie because I didn't have the guts to have her "put down". This is a huge life error for me. I sat up two nights with her as she suffered and I live with the memory.

Always a very tough call. Difficult to watch a loved pet suffer, and just as difficult to "make the call". Sorry for your loss, papsrus (and yours, too, Chuck).

Sorry to hear of your loss. I am still haunted by the ugly death of Maggie because I didn't have the guts to have her "put down". This is a huge life error for me. I sat up two nights with her as she suffered and I live with the memory.

Always a very tough call. Difficult to watch a loved pet suffer, and just as difficult to "make the call". Sorry for your loss, papsrus (and yours, too, Chuck).

Easy to second guess yourself. I still have memories of holding Grachan and seeing the look he gave me when the vet gave him a shot and he took his last breath.

You're not alone. I know this feeling too. I would guess it's not uncommon. Our pets rely on us 100% to take care of them. How they die is up to us. That's an enormous responsibility. When we fail them at all in that moment because we love them and can't let go, the guilt can be overwhelming. And reading between the lines of what a vet is telling you when you're grasping for any thread of hope can be confusing as well.

But ... I've come to the conclusion that there is no "good" way to go. So while meaningful in some respects, and something we all want to be gentle and filled with kindness, the end doesn't matter a fraction as much as everything else that came before.

Whatever suffering Maggie, or Prince, or anyone's pet endures in the end, it is just a tiny sliver of sadness that doesn't begin to compare to the mountain of joy they bring through the rest of their lives.

Anyways, thank you again for all the kind words.

It's always a difficult call.

Paps, sorry to hear of your loss. I hope the pain passes soon.

You're a good man for taking these animals in.

So sorry to hear of your loss, papsrus. He sure was a cutie-boy...

You both were lucky to have one another. :tup

Hang in there bud... :)

You probably gave that dog the happiest year of his life!

My condolences.

I'm sure you are right, that dog had it made for his last year! Very sorry about your loss Paps!

Sorry for you loss Paps.

It was great of you to give him a home and love for the remaining time he had, so many abandoned dogs don't ever get that.

I had a neighbor have to put down a great dog a month ago due to cancer after a long happy life, the worst part was the look in the eyes of the dog the last week. She was still living but the life and joy had left her.

It's always a tough call with animals though. We took our old cat(about 17 at the time) all 3 of us, to the vet to put him down. Had been there several times in the past few months, and I.V's a couple of times. Was only able to eat roast beef. Had diarrhea. Had to have a towel in our lap if he got in it. In other words, it was time. Well, as soon as he came into the room(We had him wrapped in a towel, not in a kennel even) Well, something clicked in him, wanted to get down, explore the room, sniff everything, jump from table to counter...you know, show he was quite alive, hey don't think about putting me down! :ph34r: Vet said, well...we can try I. V. and antibiotics again, but it probably won't make any difference. Well, long story short, he did die...a month short of his 20th birthday.

My Mom's poodle had a tumor on her side, that got bigger and bigger. One night the dog got very sick, and Mom and Dad took her to an overnight vet. Vet said it would probably be best to put her down. Mom said, can't we just see if she get's better??? Vet knew better than argue, so they took her home. I heard that soon afterwards, the dog had spasms, fell off the bed, and went under the bed!!! Mom's health was such she couldn't get down on her knees to get her out, Dad had to....She really kicked herself for not listening to the Vet...but, how can you really blame yourself??? You don't want to see a pet suffer, but it's also very hard to decide to end the life of a pet. My Dad was there for one cat that was put down, that was it. I am now the one with the animal when it's time....

Paps - The most difficult day of my life was a year ago on December 18th when we had to put down our Mastiff, Cookie. For me, there is no emotional pain I've experienced that comes close to losing a dog. I came across something the other day that provides some perspective on dogs and their short lives. Seems like as good a time as any to share it:

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Up over and out.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

You know, on many days my inner cynic would read that and think "how sappy". Judging by the catch in my throat, this is not one of those days...

Out of the mouths of babes...

You got me, Dave!

Yes.

MG

Out of the mouths of babes...

You got me, Dave!

Yes.

MG

Beautifully said. A friend told me today that she hadn't told her young children, who knew Prince, about him passing away yet. I relayed your story of this 6-year-old's wisdom to her as a way she might help explain things, so thank you.

There are a ton of rescue organizations out there, and I of course don't mean to imply anyone should rush out and get a dog if they aren't already considering it, but just as a little public service announcement I guess, here's a link to an excellent group in North America (not a country :w ) that rescues papillons. It's a process -- there are applications, home inspections, etc. But it's not a big deal. This small breed is very smart, among other things. They can be active, or homebodies, whatever you like. Very adaptable, has been my experience.

So ... just thought I'd punctuate things with that. Thanks for all the good vibes. :) Onward and upward, as they say.