Bruce Cockburn

randyhersom

I did my search and we don't seem to have ever had a Bruce Cockburn thread, so here it is. eMusic has posted 18 albums from the first two thirds of his career.

Cockburn's music is mystical and mysterious, with occasional outbursts of political outrage in his later work. He occasional sings about Christianity but not in a way that makes this Doubting Thomas uncomfortable. The acoustic guitar textures occasionaly remind me of Oregon in their beauty and flow.

One of the top ten tracks all time for me is the version of Joy Will Find a Way on the live Circles in the Stream. The addition of vibes gives the song a very appropriate jazzy and otherworldly feel. It's simply one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. The whole album is solid and highly recommended.

I plan to check out Humans next based on strong recommendations on the eMusic message board and allmusic. I have heard In the Falling Dark and Stealing Fire and enjoy them.

His music has a very searching, spiritual vibe -- or as Geoffrey Himes puts it, a "left-wing Christianity, which can be as unrelentingly earnest as Bono's." Intelligent, introspective lyrics. I'd recommend checking out "Salt, Sun and Time" from his early work (1974). There's some groovy clarinet playing by a Jack Zaza (?) on this one, too.

31W1ZXW0C1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Of his somewhat more recent stuff, "Charity of the Night" is good, I think (1997). It's got a dark, jazzy feel to it.

41FZ4B34RTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I don't have that many of his albums per se, but I have two greatest hits CDs (including a somewhat rarer 2 CD set that was primarily for the Canadian market). My favorite songs are Coldest Night of the Year, Lovers in a Dangerous Time, Night Train and Last Night of the World. Probably run through his folder on my iPod 2-3 times a month (along with Suzanne Vega).

Used to enjoy his music on radio back in the '80s. I only have one album, a compilation "Waiting for a Miracle: Singles 1970-87" which I like a lot. The songs are left-wing and highly politically engaged, but I never noticed any particularly Christian slant, and never even thought of it, given tunes like "If I had a rocket launcher".

Edited by T.D.

Guest Bill Barton

It's been ages since I've heard any of his music. Back in the days when I was doing college radio at The University of Vermont I played his recordings a lot. And later when employed (barely) at a commercial AAA station he was high on our playlists.

He's a wonderful songwriter and I like his unique voice too. Another thing that has always warmed me to him is his employment of some of Canada's finest jazz musicians in his recording projects.

Unfortunately I don't have any of his albums... Maybe that will have to change.

I went through a Cockburn phase some years ago. Can't say I've heard much of his music since the 90s, though. The later stuff that I heard started leaning too much towards nondescript rock and slick production, although the songwriting could still be very fine.

I should get reacquainted with his music. I remember enjoying In the Falling Dark, Further Adventures of..., Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws and Night Vision (a beautiful record that gets a two star AMG review! <_< )

The mid-period stuff is still good: Humans, Inner City Front, The Trouble with Normal, Stealing Fire and World of Wonders all have their moments.

I like his early acoustic albums. Along with Salt, Sun And Time mentioned by Paps, three others in this vein are High Winds White Sky, Sunwheel Dance and Bruce Cockburn.

51HQ02A4Q2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg51K33QFBHBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41T3YE7GH2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

These are good albums, along with Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws, Humans et. al.

As for a "Christian slant," he definitely has that. "Lord of the Starfields" and "Rumours of Glory" are two of the more memorable of those songs. (Which are all good, with thoughtful, intelligent lyrics.)

Edited by seeline

Funny: Just last week I was trying to find a copy on-line of his song "Thoughts on a Rainy Afternoon". It's the one that goes (IIRC) "Oh Jesus, don't let Toronto take my song from me." I probably haven't heard it in 30 years but it's one of those songs that haunts me. (There are many such songs.)

but I have two greatest hits CDs (including a somewhat rarer 2 CD set that was primarily for the Canadian market).

This set, called Waiting for a Miracle, is on eMusic. It's a good place to start for a sampling of Cockburn, but avoid it if you hate compilations.

Another interesting note is that most of his early albums were remastered a bit with new tracks tacked onto the end. Emusic has these versions. I doubt the remastering will shine through at mp3 quality ;) , but the extra tracks may be new to some fans.