Congratulations Big Al!

I noticed this morning that the winner of the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile race the other day was a horse named Albertus Maximus, which is Latin for Big Al.

Al, do you have more money than we realize to spend on horse racing? :excited:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/bre...tory?id=3663387

Edited by GA Russell

Now come on, "Albertus Magnum" would be "Big Al."

"Albertus Maximus" would be "All that Al Could Be" in a way, or "Biggest Al."

I didn't suffer through Latin for years in vain! When I first came to Waterford/Kamhlaba School in M'Babane, Swaziland in 1968 I was two years behind the rest of the class in Latin and as my Latin teacher was the Headmaster. . . I HAD to catch up. . . and I did, in an intense "quarter" where I nearly dreamed in Latin!

Edited by jazzbo

Now come on, "Albertus Magnum" would be "Big Al."

"Albertus Maximus" would be "All that Al Could Be" in a way, or "Biggest Al."

I didn't suffer through Latin for years in vain! When I first came to Waterford/Kamhlaba School in M'Babane, Swaziland in 1968 I was two years behind the rest of the class in Latin and as my Latin teacher was the Headmaster. . . I HAD to catch up. . . and I did, in an intense "quarter" where I nearly dreamed in Latin!

Latin est lingua mortuus parumper causa.

Edited by Alexander

:)

Well, I HAD to do well with Latin, new kid on the block, only American in the whole school, needed to impress the Headmaster (and I WANTED TO, Sir Michael Stern was a great personality and man). How useful do you think that Latin knowledge has been to me since? You guessed it, practically worthless!

He had a great sense of humor. In England, before coming to Africa, he had been Andrew Lloyd Weber's Latin teacher as well. Apparently Weber sucked at Latin. Stern says he told Weber "I'm afraid if you don't shape up you may never amount to much of anything!"

Edited by jazzbo