Sidney Bechet recommendations

bluesbro

I agree with everything good said about "Texas Moaner Blues", "Cake Walking Babies," and the Bechet-Spanier Big Four (I had them all on 12" 78s). Fantastic stuff, but it is hard to recommend Bechet material, because it is so difficult to go wrong with anything. One of the first records I bought, back in the 1940s, was a brown-label English Columbia 78 by Bechet with Bob Wilber's Wildcats: "Polka Dot Stomp" and "Kansas City Man". I have been hooked ever since. He is definitely among my absolute favorite musicianeers.

Edited by Christiern

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MG,

This Definitive release mimics the US RCA three cd set of the Bechet masters. . . .

c2868.jpg

They released also his BN recordings:

519JGFPCJML._SS500_.jpg

Thanks Lon.

I already have the BN "Jazz classics" vols 1 & 2 on LP. Have I already got the best part of the BN material or is there much more sensational music to explore in the set?

MG

MG,

This Definitive release mimics the US RCA three cd set of the Bechet masters. . . .

c2868.jpg

519JGFPCJML._SS500_.jpg

Thanks Lon.

I already have the BN "Jazz classics" vols 1 & 2 on LP. Have I already got the best part of the BN material or is there much more sensational music to explore in the set?

MG

MG,

I'm not too familiar with the exact contents of those two lps. . . but yes, there's about five lps wotrth of Bech on Blue Note, so more goodies to experience. . . .(Not all of the datese he was on he LED, but he's of coures great on those).

MG,

c2868.jpg

519JGFPCJML._SS500_.jpg

Thanks Lon.

MG

MG, There is at least two lps worth of Bechet with Wild Bill Davison. Wild Bill is at his best on these dates. Another lps worth of a session with Jonah Jones and Jimmy Archey. Also pretty potent. I have it all on 5 blue note lps and then the mosaic set which adds quite a few more tracks that weren't on the original lps. In any event - the sessions with Wild Bill are indispensable.

MG,

c2868.jpg

519JGFPCJML._SS500_.jpg

Thanks Lon.

MG

MG, There is at least two lps worth of Bechet with Wild Bill Davison. Wild Bill is at his best on these dates. Another lps worth of a session with Jonah Jones and Jimmy Archey. Also pretty potent. I have it all on 5 blue note lps and then the mosaic set which adds quite a few more tracks that weren't on the original lps. In any event - the sessions with Wild Bill are indispensable.

In my opinion, the best session with Sidney Bechet and Wild Bill Davison is the one from 1945 under Art Hodes leadership. That session is not included on the Bechet/Davison Runnin' Wild CD.

Yeah, but is it in the Definitive set?

iirc it was in both the Bechet and Hodes Mosaics.

The Runnin' Wild cd contains almost the two lps that were issues on BN. Again iirc and if I had time to go check my holdings, Runnin' Wild substituted a couple of alternates, maybe because the original takes were on another then available BN cd.

BTW - for my two cents - the BN lps I have of this stuff (issues from the late 50s or early 60s) sound better to me than any of the subsequent issues I've heard.

Sidney recorded with Sammy Price in Paris in 1955, and IMO these are the very best of his later sessions. Emmett Berry shines on trumpet and woefully under-recorded clarinetist Herb Hall provides a perfect contrast to Sidney. Unfortunately these sessions are difficult to find; I have them spread over two Vogue CDs as "Sidney Bechet and His American Friends".

In my opinion, the best session with Sidney Bechet and Wild Bill Davison is the one from 1945 under Art Hodes leadership. That session is not included on the Bechet/Davison Runnin' Wild CD.

Yeah, but is it in the Definitive set?

iirc it was in both the Bechet and Hodes Mosaics.

Yes, the track listing for the Definitive set on allmusic.com does contain this session. (We all know that Definitive gets it set lists and remastered music from Mosaic whenever it can.) :rolleyes:

I am listening to this puppy right now:

01ae024128a0efdc5953f010._AA240_.L.jpg

This is what I needed and then some! Amazing music, thanks for the recommendation. I was afraid that this was going to be no-noised to death, like the similar Blanton-Webster edition Bluebird put out. But fortunately not, this one sounds really good. Love it!