What Parker box?

If I'm looking for an intro into Charlie Parker what is the box to get. I notice a complete Verve Masters set just came out or is something like the complete Savoy Studio Masters set that came out in the last year or so the way to go. I really don't want to get involved in a set that has tons of alternate takes if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Edited by gregpuck

Pardon me, boy, but you're right, Kenny! But start with the master takes, Greg. Then, later, you can sell that box and get the whole tutti.

Tony Williams, of Spotlite records in England, did the original hard work to get all the Dial takes out, so you should get the complete Dial set (4 reasonably priced, and very full CDs) from him. The contact details can be found at

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/jazzitoria/kjrot.htm

If you are in North America, and you want to phone him, dial

011 44 (127) 983-4175

No, he isn't related to Miles's drummer.

I think he has the Dial masters. I know he worked with Dial owner Ross Russell to get the LPs of it all out in the late 60s. Man, that was exciting, after scratching around for some of them on budget LPs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Bird fanatic so I've got the Complete Savoy and Dial, most of the Verves, and a lot of live material. The JSP box includes all the Savoy and Dial masters so that might be your best bet although the Proper box, and the Savoy/Dial Masters are also superb. Go for the best overall price and while you're at it, pick up a copy of "Jazz At Massey Hall".

If money is not the issue, I'd go for the Complete Savoy/Dial 8CD set. That's probably the best documentation available of Parker's most important recordings.

(I actually have the 4CD Dial set issued by Spotlite, too, and it sounds very good to my - non-audio-fanatic - ears, and a 5LP set of the Savoy material.)

Otherwise those JSP and Proper boxes (I don't know them) might contain most of the master takes, too, but with Bird, and alternate is not just some boring additional material, but each alternate take is worth getting (Famous Alto Break etc) actually.

The Savoy live 4CD box is great too. There you get the working units, mostly with Kenny Dorham (the first disc has mostly Miles), and the Carnegie tracks with Dizzy, as well as a home-recording (both together make up disc 4).

Then the Jazz At Massey Hall (Fantasy/Debut/OJCCD whatever) is pretty essential, too. Sort of the swan song of bebop.

The Verve box is great to have, too, but maybe not the best starting point.

And then you might find cheap used copies of the Blue Note Bird CDs, which are all worthwhile, too.

This just for starters :g

And be careful not to get an overdose! This music is still very very strong, and you might not be able to digest one of those boxes in its entirety when you're not too familiar with Bird!

ubu

It's all. . . also has the Comet sides with Norvo. . . doesn't have live material that was released on Savoy. . . does have the home recorded jams released on Dial.

Thanks for jumping in, Lon!

Dmitry, I think that 8CD set is one of the greatest reissues of more recent years.

The only things to complain about are the high prize (I bought mine online, in Stores in Switzerland, the prize is more than 200$!) and the fairly chaotic liner notes (which do cover everything, but not in chronological order, as there is a part on the Savoy stuff - reprinted from the 5LP Savoy box, as is an interview with Savoy's producer/owner, who's name escapes me right now - and a separate part covering all the rest, while the music is presented in chronological order). But these are minor complaints, in my opinion.

And be aware that one disc had some speed problems - this was fixed when I got my set, but if you find one that has been standing around in a shop for some 2 or 3 years, it might be an issue. I cannot recall exactly what it was, but someone here sure could, if necessary.

ubu