Don Byron: How This Band Leader Expanded the Terrain of Jazz

Nice article. Thanks for posting. I give the guy a lot of credit for challenging certain assumptions in his approach(es) to the music. I only have his Ivey-Divey, which I dig. The other stuff of his that I've heard strikes me as always interesting, but hasn't always immediately connected, with me anyways. But again, I respect the guy's approach. Always have meant to get Bug Music. I'll add it to the list (again).

I like his "No Vibe Zone" and "Music For Six Musicians" albums the most. I also like "Tuskogee Experiments" and "Bug Music", and his playing as a sideman on Uri Caine's "Toys" and "Sphere Music".

Starting with the "You Are #6" album, I have liked some of his recordings more than others, some not much at all.

don byron is playing this friday at the state university in albany.

Don Byron Quartet

Friday, November 21 at 8pm

Main Theatre - $25/$20 seniors & faculty-staff/$10 students

The celebrated clarinetist and UAlbany faculty member is joined by a group of elite jazz musicians - pianist Edward Simon, bassist Kenny Davis and drummer Billy Hart - in a concert inspired by the music of Lester Young and Eddie Harris.

Byron is not a fraud but it is way too easy to overpraise his work.

Agree on both points, and two other things...

1) I saw Byron live about 6 or 7 years ago, and he plays WAY too damn much up in the altissimo range. Geez, Don, it's not a dog whistle. :rolleyes:

2) His sound would work a lot better for me if he played alto clarinet at least some of the time (pitched in e-flat, about halfway between a standard clarinet and bass clarinet).

Byron is not a fraud but it is way too easy to overpraise his work.

I agree. I think that he is one of those guys who gives the jazz magazines something to write about because he puts out projects with a theme.

He does have some nice moments on the CDs I have mentioned above, in my opinion. I don't view him as a towering giant of music.

Some of his later CDs have left me cold.

I don't know about his chops -- a little hard-edged maybe (intentionally or otherwise), but it's his "interest" and "energy" for the music that leads him in the right direction(s), I think. I just listened for the first time to Bug Music, and it's a wonderful project. Nothing ground-breaking, just good, clean fun. You can tell the musicians had a blast doing it, and that's half the battle.

After years of trying to make it otherwise, I find that my enthusiasm tends to be for the idea of Don Byron's music more than the reality of it.

Having heard interviews with him and having seen him live a few times I tend to think that Don Byron's idea of Don Byron is more than the music.

Then perhaps the house that would be Don Byron should consider making the music into a walkway rather than a moat?