Contemporary music recommendations

Stefan Wood

I really like this record which was recommended on another thread here previously:

Paolo Angeli - Tessuti

Great record by a fascinating guitarist.

This one is a few years old but I'd go as far to say that it offers a way forward for jazz-rock. All the energy associated with that genre but without the clutter and, above all, with a nice rhythmic bounce, rather than the standard plod or formula funk. Good themes, lots of tonal variety.

734.jpeg

Partisans are the band, Max the album. It's on e-music.

Phil Robson- Guitars

Julian Siegel-Tenor and Soprano Saxophones, Bass Clarinet, Cuica

Thaddeus Kelly -Bass

Gene Calderazzo Drums

Special guests Thebe Lipere Percussion on 5,6 +8

Jim Watson Hammond B3 organ on 4,7+8

Chris Batchelor Trumpet on 1,8+9

Availablefrom e-music last time I looked.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIGHT THE BIG BULL | Dying Will Be Easy (Clean Feed 2008)

600x600.jpg

*Disclosure: My brother plays bass in this band. I have posted about them here before, with a couple of blips here and there. A lot of people seem to be taking notice elsewhere, so I guess I'll just keep trying here...

Read about it at Clean Feed's website.

Obligatory myspace sound samples...

mi3 | We Will Make a Home For You (Clean Feed 2007)

51031-500.jpg

I don't know if I have read anything about Pandelis here or not, but his time on the Fender Rhodes is time well spent to my ears.

Read about it at Clean Feed's website.

emusic.com samples

Matana Roberts | The Chicago Project (CCI 2008)

600x600.jpg

I think this one has gotten some attention here already... Rosaly, shit, the whole line-up is nice.

emusic.com samples

And Larry has sung praises about many of the current Chicago musicians that I have tried to stay up on the past two years (Keefe Jackson, Frank Rosaly, Jason Ajemian, the cast and crew of Exploding Star Orchestra, etc). I haven't been listening to "contemporary music" as long as many of you have, so I have are hard time saying what music I like and don't like, and why, but there is something about this current gathering of musicians in Chicago that have my attention. Not so big on Longberg-Holm, but he doesn't necessarily "ruin" things for me either.

600x600.jpg600x600.jpg

600x600.jpg600x600.jpg

This is stuff off the top of my head. I have worked my way into the Clean Feed catalog over the past year or so as well. I will go through and find some examples sometime soon for the Clean Feed thread.

Edited by .:.impossible

I would like to hear that Keefe Jackson.

That lead prompted me to purchase this one earlier. No sound samples.

The Chicago Luzern Exchange -- "Several Lights"

51DAZQNRKHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This one isn't any sort of ground-breaking hybrid, just a really enjoyable modern big band performance released this year, very much "in the tradition." Spinning it now.

Carla Bley & Her Remarkable Big Band -- "Appearing Nightly"

51qxkemHVcL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by papsrus

I don't find Mats that strong a player. Just my opinion.

Hm, well, I suppose there's some ambiguity about the word "strong" here (= "forceful" or just "good"?), but in any case I think MG's an excellent, well-rounded player, capable of more than just going on a rampage. I'm not always crazy about the company he keeps, alas (a concert earlier this year with The Thing & Vandermark has to be the loudest gig I've ever fallen asleep at), & I find it uncomfortable to watch him loll his tongue about like a free jazz Gene Simmons, but I've heard enough good stuff from him (like that great duo with Agusti Fernandez) to put him in my good books.

Of recent releases the ones I've been finding most exciting are actually the reissues or archival discoveries of the 1960s and 1970s South African expats--been playing McGregor's Up to Earth and Harry Miller/Isipingo's Which Way Now a lot recently. -- & oh yeah, just got Ray Warleigh's duo with Tony Marsh in the mail yesterday & have been spinning it a lot. It was about time he made a new album as a leader!

Edited by Nate Dorward

I don't find Mats that strong a player. Just my opinion.

Hm, well, I suppose there's some ambiguity about the word "strong" here (= "forceful" or just "good"?), but in any case I think MG's an excellent, well-rounded player, capable of more than just going on a rampage [...]

Of recent releases the ones I've been finding most exciting are actually the reissues or archival discoveries of the 1960s and 1970s South African expats--been playing McGregor's Up to Earth and Harry Miller/Isipingo's Which Way Now a lot recently. -- & oh yeah, just got Ray Warleigh's duo with Tony Marsh in the mail yesterday & have been spinning it a lot. It was about time he made a new album as a leader!

Agree with all this...was going to say exactly the same about Mats. He's done some really lovely stuff IMHO.

Played with Ray and Tony a couple of months ago...both are sounding incredible at the moment. I haven't heard this yet, but am looking forward to it!

Two more recommendations, featuring Getatchew Mekurya:

51hBzxGN5rL._SS500_.jpg773d224b9da0ad4155c7b010.L.jpg

Considered the greatest Ethiopian saxophone player, drawing upon traditional war songs to create an emotionally powerful sound - not like Brotzmann or Ayler, less frenetic, but deeply soulful.

Sound link

Edited by Stefan Wood

Continuing to channel Bill Barton, another rec of his that is a lot of FUN!

Mostly Other People Do The Killing -- "Shamokin!!!"

Energetic and irreverent. Sound samples here. Jon Irabagon has a tart, Ornette-ish tone. There's a bit of Zappa in these guys.

51pkQjXQ6lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Great CD.

Irabagon recently won a saxophone contest which includes a recording deal with Concord.

He'll scare the crap out of them. Might be fun.

The group has a newer CD which is a "take" on Ornette's This Is Our Music.

Haven't heard it, but I'd like to.

The group has a newer CD which is a "take" on Ornette's This Is Our Music.

Haven't heard it, but I'd like to.

It seems to be on back order with all the usual suspects. A little hard to find, for some reason. I'd love to listen to that one.

Appears to be in stock at CD Baby.

:excited: Thank you.