Individual Don Wilkerson albums

undergroundagent

I enjoy them (generally), but don't consider them essential - and I rarely listen to them twice in the same month (if that's any indication). Sorry, I can't speak to the individual albums - as they all blur together for me, pretty much.

Frankly, in terms of Wilkerson's playing (specifically his playing), I like The Texas Twister better than any of his BN output...

f00337w0nxs.jpg

(Not the answer you were looking for, I realize - but hey, that's par for the course.)

FYI, "Texas Twister" isn't a soul-jazz date, but is much more hard-boppish. Frankly, I often wish his BN output had more of the fire and edge of "Texas Twister".

I can remember several years ago having a major Jones for Wilkerson's BN work, but that was only based on the mystique of OOP BN's, not for any specific musical reason. I eventually tracked down Japanese reissues of all three, but I must say this is a case where anticipation greatly exceeded realization. These are not bad albums per se, just far from memorable. For my tastes, they veer a little too close to straight up R&B. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it wasn't what I was expecting. Given Wilkerson's musical background, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but that didn't keep me from being a little disappointed.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I like 'em - particularly Preach Brother ! with its line up of Wilkerson, Grant Green, Sonny Clark, Butch Warren and Billy Higgins. Nothing very profound but it grooves nicely from start to finish with oosings o' grease. Feel-good party type music. 'Dem Tambourines' sounds particularly good - I've heard this one sampled many times and used on adverts and the like (particularly that funky Grant Green riff at the beginning).

I know those Wilkerson albums get a real lashing around these parts. I, for one, think it's an unjust accessment. Wilkerson is a monster. Plain and simple. If you're one that is only satisfied with a Coltrane, Henderson, Rollins and that ilk, then it's unfair to listen to Wilkerson with the same standards.

Wilkerson is every bit the master that many of our straight-ahead jazz idols are. However, he OWNS the blues vocabulary. He's got a real pinched, individual sound that drips authenticity.

I don't know. I'm kind of getting tired of the Wilkerson bashing. To each his own, I know. However, those Wilkerson Blue Notes are among the finest representation of jazz blending with R&B. A style that was the norm for bars all around the country in the 60's.

If you can't get with Wilkerson, Patton, Green and Dixon playing "Easy Living" then....we'll have to agree to disagree.

Those Wilkersons, sit in my mind with the best Blue Notes. Period. Who in the hell else would play "San Antonio Rose" on their Blue Note session Wilkerson played stuff like that because that's who he was. Just like Coltrane played "Blue Train," because that's what HE was.

Let's seperate these stylistic differences out and get down to the heart and soul of the matter. Kept at that, those Wilkerson Blue Notes are classic.

I like 'em - particularly Preach Brother ! with its line up of Wilkerson, Grant Green, Sonny Clark, Butch Warren and Billy Higgins. Nothing very profound but it grooves nicely from start to finish with oosings o' grease. Feel-good party type music. 'Dem Tambourines' sounds particularly good - I've heard this one sampled many times and used on adverts and the like (particularly that funky Grant Green riff at the beginning).

I agree.

I have all of his BN stuff except Preach Brother, and also have Texas Twister. Shoutin is my favorite of the BN stuff. The reason I don't have Preach Brother is just that it did nothing for me. I thought it was the weakest of his output and Sonny Clark seemed out of place to me. The best, but not BN, is Texas Twister. Great cd.

Well, the Wilkerson BNs might not be toi everbody's taste, but I'd think that TEXAS TWISTER would be! That bad boy KICKS AYE-ESS!

So, everybody go get TEXAS TWISTER - it's one hell of a good CD. I got mine on the strength of Sangry's recomendation (in another thread), and was 100% happy with my purchase. Way more 'meat on the bone' than any of his BN output.

Edited by Rooster_Ties