Holy Freakin' Crap!!!

Hi All,

So, I just got back from a certain record store, and I think I did OK in my haul. Usually this store has a few decent used items, but nothing really significant. I picked around the bins a bit, and was just about to leave empty-handed, when I happened to spot:

The Shorty Rogers - Complete EMI and Atlantic Recordings Mosaic!!! Yep, all 4CD's, booklet, and box in damn fine shape. For $75!!!

So, I'm happy! I've been looking for this for years, and just couldn't bring myself to shell out the $200-300 it goes for on eBay. I grab the copy, and am proceeding to the check out counter, when I thought to myself "no man, don't leave yet, look around a little more..."

So, I did... and I found a copy of the Tina Brooks - True Blue Connoisseur! Damn, it's a good day!

However, I already have True Blue, so I figured I'll make someone else's day and offer it here in the "Offering and Looking For" section. I'll be posting that in a minute!

Looking forward to listening to Shorty and his Giants when I get home!

Cheers,

Shane - one lucky bastard!

That's a huge find, that Rogers box! Congrats, what a price! I dream about this very moment every time I go to a used store, but so far, to no avail! I've managed to piece a "poor man's" Rogers Mosaic together by finding two of the actual Mosaic discs sold piecemeal and coupling those with CD-R's of the other two and a photocopied version of the booklet. And it only took me 10 years or so to scratch that all up. <_<

Someday, though, SOME-dayyy.... ^_^

Edited by DrJ

Hi DrJ,

Thanks for the support! You know, I already had a copy of the Rogers booklet that I bought from Mosaic a while back. So, now I have two!

If you'd like, send me your address via PM, and I'll send you my extra booklet. No charge at all! It's a bit beat up (but nothing too bad, really).... just let me know if you'd like it to replace your photocopied version.

Cheers,

Shane

Shane,

Yes, I'd say you did "marginally" well. Nice haul. I'm one of those who paid the high freight for the Rogers on e-Bay. I still think it was worth it, but $75 with no shipping and handling or insurance sounds awfully good to me. Care to take a swipe at exactly how you felt when you first spotted this one and then saw the price? That had to have made your knees buckle. I've had some finds in my day, but nothing like this. And then to top everything off with TB's TB, what can you say? When the gods are smiling on you like this, it's time to buy a lottery ticket.

Up over and out.

I was interested/surprised when Michael Cuscuna mentioned in one of his catalogues that the Shorty Rogers and the Buddy DeFranco were the two slowest moving Mosaic sets he had made.

Perhaps the Rogers is expensive today because so few people bought it when it was new.

Indestructible, as I recall Art Pepper's famous solo for Over the Rainbow is on Disc One of the Rogers set. Let us know what you think of that!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the support! The way I figure it, my luck finally hit... and now it'll be your turn soon!

Had a chance to listen to the Rogers set over the weekend. Some GREAT stuff on here (including Art Pepper!!!). I'd really only heard the Nocturne/Pacific Jazz material before, and am really digging the Atlantic stuff!

BfB, I'll try to post the discography later today or tomorrow. I'm swamped at work here right now!

Cheers,

Shane

Hi BfB,

Sorry this is late... work is insane lately! The Album Index for the Rogers Mosaic is:

10" LP's

Capitol H294 - Modern Sounds

Nocturne LP2 - Bud Shank Quintet: Compositions of Shorty Rogers

12" LP's

Capitol T691 - Modern Sounds - Shorty Rogers/Gerry Mulligan

Pacific Jazz PJ-1205 - Bud Shank Quintets

Pacific Jazz JWC500 - Jazz West Coast - anthology

Pacific Jazz PJLA892 - Jazz: The '50's, Vol. 1 - anthology

Atlantic LP1212 - The Swinging Mr. Rogers

Atlantic LP1232 - Martians Come Back!

Atlantic LP1270 - Way Up There

Atlantic SD1232 - Shorty In Stereo

Atlantic K50481 - Clickin' With Clax

Atlantic K50714 - Martians Stay Home

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Shane

Hey thanks for remembering.

I have a cdr of disc one but no track info. Unfortunately no one has ever submitted the info to cddb.

At any rate enjoy the set and thanks for the info. Don't know if it's acceptable to swap cdr's of out of print stuff w/ people in this community but if so I would love to get the remainder of that set in some sort of trade.

If not I totally understand. Don't want the metallicops banging down my door.

Thanks again

Walter

• 1 month later...

Great score! That Mosaic is a good 'un!

Reminds me of the day I picked up my Nat King Cole Mosaic set for $200

Oh happy day!

:D

There's a local store that is selling a used Nat King Cole Mosaic set (cd version) for about $180.00. currently. The box itself looks a little worn (perhaps our fellow member Eric from KC let his kids use it on a cross country trip? :) ), and I haven't looked at the booklet or the discs yet.

Is this a good price on this set? I don't have any (gulp!) Mosaic sets yet, and am not sure I really want to take the plunge, but this is the first one I've seen in these parts, so want to know if I should jump on it...

Thanks,

Erik

I've seen this set go for as high as 1,200 and recently as low as $66.66. It is one of the great Mosaic sets both in quantity and quality. If you like jazz vocals and want to start a Mosaic collection, this is a good place to begin.

Edited by Out2Lunch