Fletcher Henderson Birthday Tribute Tonight (12-18-08)

Lazaro Vega

Henderson's music will be heard in the first 20 minutes to half hour of each hour in the five hour program.

10 p.m. to 3 a.m. eastern time.

Includes King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band doing "Dippermouth Blues" as well as Jelly Roll Morton and Oliver doing "King Porter Stomp" followed by versions by Henderson's bands.

Trad-o-licious.

Streaming live, http://www.bluelake.org/radio

Hope you can join us,

Lazaro

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Driggs mentions that in the earliest period Henderson's was still an ensemble band, trying to hit a standard in ensemble playing represented in that era by Paul Whiteman. Dicty Blues, though, has a roaring tenor solo by Hawk, and this cool walking bass part for the bass sax and tuba, maybe, that made it a bit different. The Club Alabam years, or year.

What a great bunch of trumpet players, soloists, he had down through the years. Damn. Pops, Rex Stewart, Joe Smith, Tommy Ladnier for a long time, the underrated Bobby Stark, the great Red Allen, Roy Eldridge. Great improvisors in Hawk and Buster Bailey, too, but man those trumpets!

The Study In Frustration box on Legacy, a few from the Classics label and one on Decca (Tidal Wave). Only one from 1923, Dicty Blues.

Yo, Laz.....

Tidal Wave is phenomenal. Radio Rhythm is a masterpiece, and I never could find out squat about the guy that wrote it, Nat Leslie. Dan Morgenstern surprisingly had no info, and Phil Schaap, as usual, flapped his gums but didn't know (or say) shit....

I played some of Don Redman's music in the early 80s with George Kelly's octet at the West End here in NY. We did some pieces that are on Tidal Wave, like Chant of the Weed (it was also featured in, of all places, a Betty Boop cartoon---back when she was a racy broad).

I'm sorry I can't listen. I hope you play some of Fletcher's BG charts. He was really a musical giant, and to think he was gonna be, what a pharmacist? He got drafted into a musical career----the opposite almost of every musician I know, including the more successful ones, who want to play more but have to live.....

Yes, a chemist.

And Betty Boop was a reefer fiend? Boo-boop-a-doop indeed Miss Betty. Thanks for wearing the polkadots. :excited:

Last Spring during a "Live From Blue Lake" program, Phil Ogilvie's Rhythm Kings (http://www.porkjazz.com) led by pianist James Dapogny played a version of "Radio Rhythm" on the air. With a gong and everything. Last night we played the Henderson original and then PORK's version Blue Lake recorded. Dapogny could help you to find out more, if anyone could. There's a page on him at the University of Michigan School of music with his e-mail address: http://www.music.umich.edu/faculty_staff/dapogny.james.lasso

Good to hear from you, Fass.

That said on Buster, o.k., yet his importance was in bringing, along with Armstrong, the southern blues sense to NYC in the period. In the expressiveness of his clarinet, the ability to moan and bend notes as well as to swing. The New Yorkers were ragtimers -- Buster, at Armstrong's invitation, left King Oliver's band in Chicago to play with Henderson.

god bless you fletcher henderson greatest big band leader of all time/ in tribute i wanna give a first listen to this lp i got a few weeks ago (where did i put it?) its fletcher henderson on piano with sindey bechet- its from some "legendary" (?) concert in Michigan in the early 1950's. Must of been a radio broadcast cause my record is undoubtly of Boris Rose-related origin. got it for .99 cents- anyone know this one?

Yes, a chemist.

And Betty Boop was a reefer fiend? Boo-boop-a-doop indeed Miss Betty. Thanks for wearing the polkadots. :excited:

Last Spring during a "Live From Blue Lake" program, Phil Ogilvie's Rhythm Kings (http://www.porkjazz.com) led by pianist James Dapogny played a version of "Radio Rhythm" on the air. With a gong and everything. Last night we played the Henderson original and then PORK's version Blue Lake recorded. Dapogny could help you to find out more, if anyone could. There's a page on him at the University of Michigan School of music with his e-mail address: http://www.music.umich.edu/faculty_staff/dapogny.james.lasso

Good to hear from you, Fass.

We spoke of this before, I know. Isn't it a MF of a piece? Through-composed and constantly moving. Orchestral jazz of the 30s was a bitch---just on a very high level. There was something that came out on LP when things actually still came out on LP---and it seems it wasn't all that long ago I got it, called "Jazz, the Arrangers". It had Fletcher, Duke, Gibson (can't remember the first name, shame on me) and others, all with great pieces of this caliber. The blowing was short, sweet, and meaningful and I love it for that and the whole attention to an exciting unfolding game plan. Great stuff....

George Kelly! one of my favorite tenor players - haven;t heard his name in a long time -

Damn, my reply got got off in mid-thought...George was a gentleman, I was saying, and he did me a favor making me play 4/4 rhythm, as I was young and overplaying a bit and it made the whole rhythm section so much more unified.

George also featured himself on a tune with said rhythm section (Richard Wyands, Peck Morrison, Ronnie Cole, yours truly). I remember "How Deep is the Ocean". I remember him singing a bit too. He was a hell of a blues shouter, too (on tenor, that is)

That gig was kinda special to me since it was my first 'big-time' weeklong gig in the Apple with pros like George (the rest of the front line was Norris Turney, Benny Powell, Virgil Jones--and Don Leight---who the play Sideman by his son Warren was based on---subbed the last night for Virgil. Virgil is a MF, still very underrated. I had worked with Big Joe Turner before (and got fired---not by Joe, though----'nother story for another day...) but this was my first big-time jaz[z/i] gig.

The West End, where that gig took place, is now the Havana Cafe and they started up jazz again, spelled with Latin on Sundays.

Those with a deep, abiding interest in FH should check out Jeffrey Magee's THE UNCROWNED KING OF SWING. There's also the revered Walter Allen bio-discography, though I've never been fortunate enough to come across a copy (for purchase, anyway).

Of course, those with a deep, abiding interest probably already have--but just in case you haven't...

Edited by ghost of miles

Those with a deep, abiding interest in FH should check out Jeffrey Magee's THE UNCROWNED KING OF SWING. There's also the revered Walter Allen bio-discography, though I've never been fortunate enough to come across a copy (for purchase, anyway).

Of course, those with a deep, abiding interest probably already have--but just in case you haven't...

Thanks. I'll look into it.

(FWIW: Reading "Warne Marsh: an Unsung Cat" now, which ain't half bad.)