a jazz mystery

Bright Moments

i was listening this morning to one of my latest aquisitions, King Pleasure - Golden days, recorded June 20, 1960. Track 1 was Moody's mood for love and the liner notes state: "This is a new arrangement of the original 1952 King Pleasure record hit. The girl singer on the old record was Blossom Dearie. The young lady with Pleasure here must, unfortunately, remain anonymous."

Who was she and why did she have to remain anonymous? My (weak) guess is Annie Ross.

Surely the answer is out there! Who can solve this jazz mystery? B)

Are you sure about this, David? I find no mention of this in the Betty Carter bio by Bill Bauer.

Blossom Dearie is listed on the 1952 King Pleasure record of "Moody's Mood" and listening to it (Prestige/OJC 217), I can confirm this.

Bruyninckx and Lord discographies both say "unknown" for the 1960 one (which I don't own).

Betty Carter does sing on the 1952 King Pleasure record of "Red Top" which is on the same OJC CD mentioned above.

Mike

The UA session was produced by Alan Douglas and arranged by Teacho Wiltshire, recorded by Bill Schwartau at Sound Mixers in New York in September, 1962.

The Aladdin session was recorded at Capitol Studios, L.A. in October, 1956, no engineer or producer credited.

I'm pretty sure Michael Cuscuna would have found out if possible when preparing the Blue Note King Pleasure CD.

The Golden Days session (originally on HiFiJazz, now owned by Fantasy) I have only on the old Prestige twofer LP, which says it was produced by David Axelrod, but gives neither engineer nor studio. Are these credited on the OJC reissue?

Thus we have three versions of Moody's Mood For Love with Ann Onimous; only Blossom Dearie was credited on the first Prestige recording. The Ann Onimous singers do not sound like prolific jazz singers. If they had some importance, they would have insisted, like Jon Hendricks on the UA LP version of Don't Get Scared.

BTW, by purchasing three CDs one has King Pleasure's entire recorded output:

c64024msg52.jpgf57338ms7q9.jpgc6706492974.jpg

I'd say get the Blue Note before it's OOP, it has his rarest recordings.

Edited by mikeweil