Bob Parlocha..

randissimo

Female vocalist. Preferrably from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Sorry, I don't have a serious answer. I will put in a good word for you, when I next communicate with him.

Thanks bro.. My friend in SFBA jazz producer-drummer Bud Spangler knows Parlocha real well and said a couple of months back he'd see what he could do.. If we could just get Parlocha to listen to a few tracks I think he'd dig us.. I think he'd particularly dig the tracks we did with Ron Blake on the first disc as well as Tenderly, My Sweet potato Pie, Traces, and Senior Buffet..

Jim Wilke loves our music but none of the radio stations in Michigan even carry his show.. But all the stations in Michigan carry Bob Parlocha's show and though he has our CDS for some reason he has never to date played any of our music.. What will it take to get him to play our tunes?

wilke's shows are prohibitively expensive, and well worth it.

I met Parlocha, Spangler (Jerry Dean, Herb Wong, Bob Houlehan, Pat Henry...) though the old KJAZ, where I used to hang out. Some good Spangler on a great record: Jessica Williams' "Nothin' But the Truth". Last time I talked to him, he was doing recording engineer work for Concord at Maybeck.

Parlocha broadcasts are available where I do some of my US work, so I listen when it's an option. Perhaps "listen" is too strong/committed a term. I tune in until something causes me to lose interest and tune out.

I met Parlocha, Spangler (Jerry Dean, Herb Wong, Bob Houlehan, Pat Henry...) though the old KJAZ, where I used to hang out. Some good Spangler on a great record: Jessica Williams' "Nothin' But the Truth". Last time I talked to him, he was doing recording engineer work for Concord at Maybeck.

Parlocha broadcasts are available where I do some of my US work, so I listen when it's an option. Perhaps "listen" is too strong/committed a term. I tune in until something causes me to lose interest and tune out.

about 15 years ago i listened and enjoyed his shows when i was in vegas.

now i cant stand him. the stuff is just too subdued for my tastes.

an e-mail campaign is in order:

bob@jazzwithbobparlocha.com

to write directly to bob parlocha

Perhaps let's get the band's and/or Jim's buy-in on this first, or at least some sort of strategy for how to approach Bob. (We wouldn't want to do more harm than good.)

Not trying to say the idea isn't a good one -- but, rather, that I'm not personally sure of the best way to go about this, and I may not be alone in this position.

(I had a letter-writing campaign idea once -- for somebody else's cause here on the board. And when I pitched it publically, I was quickly informed privately by the party I was pitching for -- that I was going about it all the wrong way, and that I was probably doing more harm than good to their cause. I don't know if that's the case here (or not), which is why I'm deferring to the band to weigh in.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I don't think he likes our music. Or perhaps we don't fit what he has/wants/likes to play on his show. He plays some nice stuff, but it's very traditional.

I don't think bugging him with an email campaign is going to change that, nor do I really see what the point is. I'm more concerned with getting gigs right now than who is or isn't playing our stuff on terrestrial radio.

If we were going to take the time to organize an email campaign, I'd rather it go to the director of a good, large scale festival.

I don't think he likes our music. Or perhaps we don't fit what he has/wants/likes to play on his show. He plays some nice stuff, but it's very traditional.

I don't think bugging him with an email campaign is going to change that, nor do I really see what the point is. I'm more concerned with getting gigs right now than who is or isn't playing our stuff on terrestrial radio.

If we were going to take the time to organize an email campaign, I'd rather it go to the director of a good, large scale festival.

i agree, Jim. i happen to enjoy his show but he is, quite definitely, very traditional.

He actively encourages listeners to submit ideas about his programming. If anyone who listens to Bob Parlocha on Blue Lake Public Radio wants to write him and say, "There's this great band here in Michigan we'd like to hear on your show and it fits with the "mainstream" idea of your programming" and then mention the station you listen on I don't think that's out of bounds.

He actively encourages listeners to submit ideas about his programming. If anyone who listens to Bob Parlocha on Blue Lake Public Radio wants to write him and say, "There's this great band here in Michigan we'd like to hear on your show and it fits with the "mainstream" idea of your programming" and then mention the station you listen on I don't think that's out of bounds.

Word,, I don't think there's anything wrong with letting him know and I think if it came from you Lazaro it might be taken more into consideration since you're a fellow jazz radio programmer..

You might notice this while driving distances with your radio on: The omnipresence of Parlocha's syndicated radio program on FM stations across America is one of the disappointments of this century. It sounds like public radio stations saved money by dismissing their jazz d.j.s, who often (and I suspect more often than not) played more varied and interesting music than Parlocha does. I'm afraid Organissimo's music is just too red-blooded, vital for Parlocha to program.

You might notice this while driving distances with your radio on: The omnipresence of Parlocha's syndicated radio program on FM stations across America is one of the disappointments of this century. It sounds like public radio stations saved money by dismissing their jazz d.j.s, who often (and I suspect more often than not) played more varied and interesting music than Parlocha does. I'm afraid Organissimo's music is just too red-blooded, vital for Parlocha to program.

On the other hand, he is better than nothing. The Kansas City public radio station has eliminated its jazz programming, either by local d.j. or syndicated. That station used to have several hours a night of local d.j. jazz programming, plus many of the more famous syndicated shows. Now--all gone.

The Lawrence, Kansas public radio station, which can be heard inconsistently in the Kansas City area, has a local d.j. who plays jazz for several hours each evening. Then late in the evening, Bob Parlocha comes on after the local guy. It's better to hear Bob than no jazz at all, as on the Kansas City station.