Donald Westlake R.I.P.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/02/books/02...tml?_r=1&hp

Rather paltry obit, with at least one unnecessary error -- or so I believe. The writer goes out of her way to say: "Despite the diversity of names [under which Westlake wrote], one shared feature was that almost all his books were set in New York City, where he was born."

I'm most familiar with, and especially admire the books Westlake wrote as Richard Stark, and while some of them have scenes set in NYC, most of them take place elsewhere.

I loved Westlake. I think Dancing Aztecs is my favorite. In one of his Dortmunder books, Dortmunder reads a Richard Stark novel and tries to imitate Parker the tough anti-hero of the Stark novels. IIRC every 2nd chapter is by Stark. (If you haven't read the obit above, Stark was a Westlake nom de plume.)

R.I.P.

I've read a lot of Westlake, but tapered off a bit in recent years. Ironic that, in view of the obit's weird geographical assertion, my most memorable Westlake read was Kahawa, which took place in Uganda and Kenya! (I spent a couple of years in Kenya, so consider myself qualified to judge books about the region.) Inclined to agree with Larry about the hard-boiled material vs. the crime capers; I was once an avid fan of the Dortmunder books, but drifted away. I think the last Westlake book I read was The Ax, a few years ago, though I reread Kahawa very recently.

Edited by T.D.

I used to help edit a film magazine in which a guy in prison once interviewed Westlake via mail. I remember Westlake pointing out that Parker had been played in movies by a White man (Lee Marvin), a Black man (Jim Brown) and a woman (Anna Karina). He thought that it might mean he hadn't drawn the character strongly enough.

Read a couple of Westlake's books and really enjoyed his stories..

The two books I read were "The Axe" and "Baby Would I lie?

I'm going to have to read more of his books.

Just about read all of James Patterson's books..

Think Carl Hiaasen is about due for another wacky story.

Where should I start? Can somebody make a list of Donald Westlake's greatest?

I much prefer his Richard Stark novels, about a professional thief -- very tough and efficiently brutal when necessary, but only then; he's a pro -- named Parker. In chronological order they are:

1. The Hunter (Also published as "Point Blank" -- it's the source of the film of that name)

2. The Man with the Getaway Face

3. The Outfit

4. The Mourner

5. The Score

6. The Jugger

7. The Seventh

8. The Handle

9. The Rare Coin Score

10. The Green Eagle Score

11. The Black Ice Score

12. The Sour Lemon Score

13. Deadly Edge

14. Slayground

15. Plunder Squad

16. Butcher's Moon

17. Comeback

18. Backflash

19. Flashfire

20. Firebreak

21. Breakout

22. Nobody Runs Forever

23. Ask the Parrot

24. Dirty Money

The first two or three (or is it four?) essentially set up the Parker character but also are very good. After that, it's almost solid gold. Also, Westlake took a long break (20 years?) between "Butcher's Moon" and "Comeback" and then moved on with great panache. Of the early Parkers, I was especially impressed by "The Seventh," "The Sour Lemon Score," and the trio of "Slayground," "Plunder Squad," and "Butcher's Moon." Of the later Parkers, "Ask the Parrot" is an incredible tour de force IMO.

I just got a couple of the Parker novels for Christmas (thanks to Mr. Kart's championing of them here)--sad to hear Westlake has passed. I'll bet Ethan Iverson will weigh in on him, as I think he, too, is a fan of the Stark/Parker series.

And thanks for that handy-dandy chronological list, Larry. I have a feeling that I'm going to get hooked, once I start reading them.

The Parker books are quite different from the rest of his ouvre. (You could believe that Richard Stark and Donald Westlake were different people.)

I don't know what the accepted canon is but my favorite Westlake books are Dancing Aztecs and Help I am Being Held Prisoner. Of his Dortmunder books I especially like Good Behavior.

BTW Those who appreciate Richard Stark would probably like Thomas Perry's The Butcher's Boy.

The Parker books are quite different from the rest of his ouvre. (You could believe that Richard Stark and Donald Westlake were different people.)

I don't know what the accepted canon is but my favorite Westlake books are Dancing Aztecs and Help I am Being Held Prisoner. Of his Dortmunder books I especially like Good Behavior.

BTW Those who appreciate Richard Stark would probably like Thomas Perry's The Butcher's Boy.

I'd say try a couple of Stark novels and a couple of Westlakes featuring Dortmunder. No arguments with titles already mentioned.

BTW, Perry's The Butcher's Boy is absolutely killer (lame pun intended), and a real classic in its genre IMO. The sequel, Sleeping Dogs, is also very good.

Westlake was a solid pro, capable in every way and as reliable as a Lion/Wolff BlueNote. There was a time when you'd just buy the new one, regardless of who was playing, just because it was a BlueNote/Westlake.

That said, "Dancing Aztecs" is so deft and clever in moving along half-a-dozen storylines and characters you'd almost think you were at a Mozart opera...