Any Frank Morgan Fans Out There?

sheldonm

I'm going to see alto player Frank Morgan tomorrow. Anybody seen him before? I've seen him once before and throught he was preetty good. I had a short conversation with him after the show and told him it was good to see him playing so well, he replied "it's just good to be alive". I'm not sure if he was just ailing at the time or referring to past "demons".

Mark

I am not positive about this but I believe Frank Morgan had a stroke within the last couple of years. I saw him play with a student band at the University of RI maybe 7 years ago. That was what was advirtised but he elected to play duets with the piano player who was part of the faculty (after the student band had played several arrangements). Morgan was mesmerizing andI would jump at the chance to see him again. I haved enjoyed most all of his recorded work that I have heard since his Art Pepper-like comeback.

Will you get any pictures?

It's good to see there are some fans out there. Tom in RI, yes I will also be photographing him tomorrow. I have made some great photos of him a couple of years ago. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll show you some. Thanks for all who replied to my question!

Mark

I'd really love to get the chance to see Frank Morgan play live. His comeback in the late 1980s was one of the miracles of jazz. Those early sessions with Wardell Gray/Teddy Charles (a real ear-opener that one) and the one with Wardell and Conte Candoli for Gene Norman gave promise of a major talent and one of the hottest altoists around. Too bad it was 25 years of great misfortune before it was realised. Great that he made the stunning comeback and is still performing for us. Long may it continue.

:tup

Edited by sidewinder

:D I just got back from the Frank Morgan show in Chicago. Man, that guy can still play!!! He played a very nice rendition of Parker's "Billie's Bounce" as well as Thelonious Monk's "Monk's Mood" plus many others. He was in great spirits and looking well, smiling while not playing, seated on a drum stool instead of standing. He played with a local rhythm section consisting of Willie Pickins on Piano, Robert Shy on drums and Larrry Gray on bass; they were smokin'!!!!! I shot a ton of photographs and give him one from a previous performance last year. He did mention again that it's great to be alive (I would agree). He seems to really be at peace with himself, looks good and sounds great. Since I don't know how to post my photographs on the BB, if anyone want to see any of the photographs, send me your email address (some already have) and I will share some with you.

Mark

I love what Frank Morgan I've heard. A couple of weeks ago in our local used bookstore I ran into a guy named Pete Amaral, who plays drums with Junior Brown, and who has played with Frank a lot in the past. He just went on & on about what a great guy & musician Frank Morgan is; had nothing but praise for him. He really is one of the last of the old Central Avenue scene, isn't he? At least I can't think of anybody else still alive who emerged from that particular world. (I must be overlooking some folks here--Snooky Young? Others?)