Art Pepper - Complete Village Vanguard Sessions

I received my Pepper box (and the Evans The Secret Sessions) yesterday and the discs, although used, look completely mint. Same with the Evans set. I'm quite pleased with the purchase and the timely shipping. If they had nine Pepper sets in stock last week, as their website claimed, they must have sold them to everyone here on this thread (or close to it). ;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine arrived here yesterday, in perfect condition, a steal at $ 11.76 ...

Pepper's self-consciousness is telling ... all brilliance nonwithstanding, it shines through that he was quite some junkie. If only Lester Koenig hadn't sent back the Steinway, and the drums wouldn't sound so tinny - bass drum like a washing powder drum.

For curious folks, the dismissed bassist was Steve Rodby. On his way to the Vanguard, Pepper played a week in Chicago.I attended each performance at the Jazz Showcase. At the end of the gig Art asked Steve to go along to NY for the recordings.

Steve did ok after that experience.

Thanks for that info, Chuck! I was reading the liner notes yesterday and was going to post a question as to who the dismissed bassist was... now I have the answer. I love this board!

Cheers,

Shane

Wow....I finally got through listening to the final discs of the set this morning. Probably the best $13 bucks I've ever spent! My discs were in mint condition, as was the book. The box had a tad bit of wear on the corners, and a loud, orange sticker across the top, but I really don't care about those types of things anymore. This music is incredible, and at that price, it was an absolute steal. This board has given me so much over the years, and the heads up on this incredible bargain is just the latest, greatest example. LOVE THIS PLACE! I hope the O-Board is around forever! :)

Wow....I finally got through listening to the final discs of the set this morning. Probably the best $13 bucks I've ever spent! My discs were in mint condition, as was the book. The box had a tad bit of wear on the corners, and a loud, orange sticker across the top, but I really don't care about those types of things anymore. This music is incredible, and at that price, it was an absolute steal. This board has given me so much over the years, and the heads up on this incredible bargain is just the latest, greatest example. LOVE THIS PLACE! I hope the O-Board is around forever! :)

I second all of that.

For curious folks, the dismissed bassist was Steve Rodby. On his way to the Vanguard, Pepper played a week in Chicago.I attended each performance at the Jazz Showcase. At the end of the gig Art asked Steve to go along to NY for the recordings.

Thanks for that info, Chuck! I was reading the liner notes yesterday and was going to post a question as to who the dismissed bassist was... now I have the answer. I love this board!

Cheers,

Shane

Picture (omitted here, not by my choice, scroll up a few posts): not funny, and IMO in very bad taste...... :tdown Edited by fasstrack

Cheers,

Shane

Picture (omitted here, not by my choice, scroll up a few posts): not funny, and IMO in very bad taste...... :tdown

The picture you are referring to is in his (Indestructible's) signature file. It's not related to the post at all, and shows up in all of his posts if you do a search.

Cheers,

Shane

Picture (omitted here, not by my choice, scroll up a few posts): not funny, and IMO in very bad taste...... :tdown

The picture you are referring to is in his (Indestructible's) signature file. It's not related to the post at all, and shows up in all of his posts if you do a search.

Weird coincidence, then---and still not funny......

You're kidding, right?

To me, the picture represents music as an IV to the soul... something that provides nourishment to the living organism. If you've chosen to view it in another way, that's certainly your choice... but that's just it, your choice.

Joel, I have tremendous respect for you, your work as a musician, and your posts... so I have no intention of a flame war with you at all. I hope you understand where I'm coming from on this.

Cheers,

Shane

I second all of that.

Yep. All true for me as well, except that I received it yesterday and have only listened to discs 1 & 2 thus far. I am very, very happy with this purchase.

You're kidding, right?

To me, the picture represents music as an IV to the soul... something that provides nourishment to the living organism. If you've chosen to view it in another way, that's certainly your choice... but that's just it, your choice.

Joel, I have tremendous respect for you, your work as a musician, and your posts... so I have no intention of a flame war with you at all. I hope you understand where I'm coming from on this.

Cheers,

Shane

Me either. Just my reaction to that particular picture right where it was. I guess I got it wrong. Everything's cool.

All the best

JF

Me either. Just my reaction to that particular picture right where it was. I guess I got it wrong. Everything's cool.

All the best

JF

Cool, man... all the best to you too!

When's your next gig in NYC? Please let us know so I can tell some of my friends to check out your show.

Cheers,

Shane

Thanks for asking. Next firm date is Fri., May 29th at Smalls. W. 10th st., just west of 7th ave. South---early show:7-9:30, w/Tim Givens, bass/cello, Vanderlai Perreira, drums---and guests 2nd set. Am working on getting some nice material to feature everyone. Both these guys are wonderful players and folks.

Why, I'm even planning to bathe :crazy:

Glad to hear he got over it ... you happen to know who the dismissed pianist having trouble to read Pepper's new tunes was?

Glad to hear he got over it ... you happen to know who the dismissed pianist having trouble to read Pepper's new tunes was?

Yes, I was wondering that, too. I have to think there was more involved. Are Art's tunes all that much more difficult than most jazz comps? As usual, Laurie's notes go into great detail (almost more than we need to know) about Art's problems and the convoluted/difficult background to the session.

Interesting to hear Art tell the audience that the previous bassist had to "fly home because his mother was very, very ill."

Edited by John Tapscott

Yes, I was wondering that, too. I have to think there was more involved. Are Art's tunes all that much more difficult than most jazz comps? As usual, Laurie's notes go into great detail (almost more than we need to know) about Art's problems and the convoluted/difficult background to the session.

Interesting to hear Art tell the audience that the previous bassist had to "fly home because his mother was very, very ill."

That would have been cool to hear Rodby with Pepper. I love his playing with Pat Metheny.