Wouldn't it be nice...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for it! :D

I spend more time here than I do with my old friends.

So, I guess your all my friends now...

To quote the movie Barfly,

"Drinks for all my friends!" :tup

Let's just meet somewhere in civilization. I have this terrible picture of all of us in the middle of nowhere going "Lord of the Flies" on each other. :(

:lol:

Is this like the boats out to Skellig Michael in Co. Kerry.

Me: "Where can I get a boat to Skellig Michael?"

Tourist Info Centre: "Oh, you can't. Though, unofficially I can give you this phone number. Ask for Paddy. But I'm not telling you this. You'll be completely uninsured..."

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys. I just took a ruler and determined that the midway point between NYC and where I live, Calgary, AB Canada is DULUTH MINNISOTA!! Not exactly the centre of the JAZZ experience, but gathering there would perk up the local economy for a day and certainly keep the gang together and keep us focussed, considering that the local alternative may very well be accordian polka bands. :D

Edited by patricia

Grandma's Saloon & Grill is it in Duluth!

Well, there you go. How bad could a place named after somebody's grandmother be??:)

I'm thinking sometime in the early spring, after the ugly-coat season.

Somebody scouts out DULUTH in advance and gives us the skinny on what is there.

Yes, I'm serious. :D

The good thing about a non-tourist trap is that the prices will be reasonable; you probably won't get lost; the people are friendly and JAZZ is everywhere.

Each year I host the Granfalloon in the Seattle area.

Started slow, but growing.. The Door prizes are rapidly becoming Collectors Items.

This year I think the theme will be The Bebop Preservation Society

A live band should now be part of the event.

Though way too early,this is a serious invitation.. to board participants.

I can guarantee good food ..Beer, cheap wine, music and hearty debate ( especially if Deep were to show up.. Aric has threatened twice, but backed out at the last minute each time..and he's more or less local) but cannot offer travel expenses or accommodations, though pitching a tent by the sport court might be an option.

Enough room for a motor home ( small) or two

If interested we can try to work out a date suitable to the majority. PM's / emails fine

Fellow founder Shawn, will attest that I am not a serial killer or prone to spiking the Kool Aid.

Uh, do I need a passport if I'm coming from Ohio?  ;)

Wisconsin, no. Ohio, yes!

My sister + brother-in-law + their 3 kids live in Duluth. It's beautiful in the summer (even then, you'd better bring along a warm jacket for the occasional 48 degree day in August). I had to go there one December -- it's only for devotees of snow, ice and subzero weather! There's a free summer festival on the beautiful Lake Superior shore featuring mostly regional bands and one "name" -- Buddy Guy in the summer of 2000 -- and mostly blues/bluegrass/folk-rockish-northwoodsy-singer-songwriters. Don't know that jazz has reached there... There is a local airport, but it costs a fortune to fly there. I flew to Minneapolis/St. Paul AND rented a car for 1/4th the cost of a "New York to Duluth" flight.

There's some good food. The scenery's beautiful. Finnish Family Sauna has been closed down following the discovery of NON-family-style massages having been proffered after hours. Still a GREAT (and great-big) used-book-and-old-magazine store downtown. An hour north of Duluth is a memorial to the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Edited by maren

Thanks Maren,

There is life and JAZZ outside New York City. ;)

But, if people insist on spending more money, Seattle sounds good to me and I can sleep anywhere. :D

Come to think of it, I should probably give a plug to the annual JAZZ FESTIVAL right here in Calgary. It lasts for a week in the summer, right after the Calgary Stampede, which I avoid like the plague.

Big hats and pointy boots are not my style and most of the time I feel like a visitor from another planet. But, the jazz festival attracts some good acts and is worth checking out.

Edited by patricia

There is a local airport, but it costs a fortune to fly there. I flew to Minneapolis/St. Paul AND rented a car for 1/4th the cost of a "New York to Duluth" flight.

Yep, usually runs an additional $100 per ticket to do the full DC-MPLS-Duluth run......but I'm sick of the 4-hr drive from the Twin Cities to the spot I hit every summer 2 hrs. north of Duluth, and that flight shaves 2 hours off the total drive time. W/kids squirming in the back seat, I'm happy to burn frequent flyer mile tickets on that one. BTW, I love to pop into the 'Bottle Shop' over there by the 'Perkins' and give those guys hell for keeping Paulaner Weizens on the shelf that have outlived their expiration dates. Damn right I check those labels! :g

Yes, I'm serious. :D

Me too!

Uh, do I need a passport if I'm coming from Ohio? ;)

No, I don't think you need a passport if you're coming from Ohio. :)

However, I noticed a while ago that my own passport has expired. Now, with the new security concerns about terrorists sneaking over the Canadian border, despite that none of the terrorists from Sept 11 did, it takes months to renew.

I can understand your concern about me, since the best cover would be to be skinny, blonde and wandering aimlessly around the airport, all sure signs of nefariousness.

On second thought, let's re-schedule the "hang" for late summer [Calgary Jazz Festival] or early fall [at a location yet to be determined] to allow for any who observe the "dry" season.

By then I should have a new passport containing a new unflattering likeness.

A HANG, BY ALL MEANS!!!

No, conn

I was being my usually silly self, Patty. My sister is Canadian (though she just moved to Toledo.) Been up to Canada many times.

Actually, my passport has just expired also. I'm not going to bother renew it for a while. No need. In fact, I've got two expired passports now: British and American. Lots to do here....

Actually, my vote is for all of us to show up in Lansing, Michigan for the big party. Home of Organissimo!!

We can all show up at Joe's house with guns! ;):P

Good deal!! Lansing Michigan for the first hang. Joe can just clear a space on the floor for sleeping/passing out, whichever comes first. ;)

As for showing up with guns, I don't know. Since I would have to clear customs, how'd it be if I just brought pictures of my moose rifle and my target pistol?? I know it's not the same thing, but those gimlet-eyed customs guys are a little jumpy these days. :D

How about an alternative destination for a get-together next June?

From Euclid Records' e-mail:

JAZZ COLLECTORS TAKE NOTE- The International Association of Jazz Record

Collectors annual convention will be held here in our hometown of St.

Louis, MO, June 16-19. The last two days will be open to the public and will

feature a Jazz and Blues only record and CD convention. We already have

obligations from some of the best record dealers in the U.S. the convention

will also feature live music, Jazz films as well as guest speakers. We'll be

supplying more information as it develops but this will be an event NOT to

miss! For more information about the IAJRC as well as membership info, check

the website at http://www.geocities.com/iajrc/

Think of it! It would be the greatest CD/Vinyl Safari of all time, and we could all hang out together and shoot the breeze during what is sure to be a very cool jazz gathering! And St Louis is a pretty fine town, with some great eats, too.

If we get enough of a turnout, we could take over O'Connells and chow down on the greatest burgers on the face of the planet!

Seriously, I mentioned this event to my wife (we've thought of vacationing in St. Louis) so this is definitely on my radar screen.

How about the rest of the Organissimo-ers?