Wouldn't it be nice...

Dan,

I'm still in for St. Louis, great city, lots to do, great jazz heritage, great food, relatively enexpensive, the Cardinals, Euclid Records, U-City Loop, River Boat Gambling (although I'm not much of a gamble, as I'd rather spend my hard earned cash on music)!!! What more could you ask for??? Sign up below:

1. Dan

2. Mark

...... B)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don, I agree that St Louis has lots more to do than LANSING does, but how much stuff can you cram into two days, max??? The main reason that the hang was being suggested, I think, was to get the Organissimo posters together and the delights of St Louis, if it were held there, would just be there and not necessarily able to be fit into such a short sojourn. The idea that any of us would actually get to go to all the fabulous attractions you mentioned, in the short time allotted is doubtful. The idea that we could do tons of things in a couple of days AND hear the Organissimo band, AND spend any time meeting all the posters is unlikely. Wouldn't that be like the "see five countries in five days" [if it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium] tours of European countries?

Edited by patricia

Philly --> Lansing: 653.5 miles; approximate Travel Time: 10 hours 3 mins

Philly --> St. Louis: 892.7 miles; approximate Travel Time: 13 hours 44 mins

For me, whatever. If it's June/July, I'll have been on a 1972 BMW motorcycle for 10/13 hours ( :rcry ), and I'll need a drink and some tunes ( :rlol )! Tell me when and where and I'll be there!

Can't wait!

....don't listen to her Dan! :rolleyes:

Sheldonn, :rolleyes::blink:

People don't listen to me and they end up running around like crazy people and not having any time to actually meet people. Isn't that the whole point of a very first Organissimo hang? Don't you want to feel that we've all enriched our lives by hearing the band in their home base?? But, what do I know?? :blink::blink:

You can always go to St Louis, but why would you ever go to Lansing, except that it's the home of Organissimo? After all, the band is the genesis of the site and getting together with the various posters on their site is why we are contemplating a hang. :rolleyes:

Edited by patricia

Even though I started this thread because I loved the idea of a gettogether, it is Patty and Dan who have taken it over. I APPROVE!! We need organizers and people who have the motivation to make this a reality.

I will take either place, but in order of preference:

1. Lansing (Home of Organissimo)

2. St. Louis

Why can't we do both? St. Louis in July when the festival hits and Lansing early next year during some holidays. What are the holidays January through March?

Lansing is the home of Organissimo and is close to Chicago, where we have some members. Patty is willing to make the trip from her glacier home. Chuck is nearby in Grand Rapids. I'm nearby. Jim Dye. Bol is in Ann Arbor along with another board member. Soulstream is in Ohio? Ghost is in Indiana which is nearby.

On the other hand, Rooster and Free For All and Eric are from KC which isn't far from St. Louis. They could hopefully make it over to Lansing as well.

I am willing to house an Organissimo boardmember here in Toledo for the weekend and I can drive him up to Lansing for the meeting. No problem. First come; first served! ;) I could possibly put up with two people if they don't mind staying together.

Don't forget: the whole idea is to show up at Joe G's place with guns! :g

Or with very nice photographs of my moose gun and target pistol that you will have to believe belong to me.

Customs and all that strip-search thing, while seeming, theoretically, to be a barrel of yuks, just isn't. :D:blink:

So, St Louis in July?? That would be good for me.

Lansing in the spring is too soon, for reasons I won't go into, but if you planned a thing in mid-fall, in Lansing, I'd be there.

So, you see, DAN, I'm not against St Louis. I just think that out of respect for our feeling of community on the Organissimo site that we should think about a thing in their hometown, maybe an annual or semi-annual thing in addition to....:D

Edited by patricia

St. Louis would be interesting! Did you know that the Bowling hall of fame is there? :wub::lol: Corvettes used to be made there back then, but I don't think so anymore.

I probably should not mention I was born and raised there, that would most likely kill any chance of it being there... :rolleyes:

I though Dan's post mentioned the IAJRC meet was in June, not July? July is not the best time to be in St. Louis , it gets REALLY hot there that time of year, I kid you not! June though should be pretty decent. And more than enough things to do/see in St. Louis, seriously! the riverfront area, the St. Louis Art Museum (Which is in Forest park, a bigger park than Central Park) Union Station, and best of all, St. Louis is easy to get around, and isn't spead out like many other cities...everything mentioned above is just within 6-7 miles of each other.

Who says it has to be two days, POTRICIA?

And WHO named you Queen?

There is one single determining factor that no one has mentioned:

Would the members of Organissimo be willing to travel to hang?

They are the linchpin-if they are willing to travel, then it ought to be majority rule.

Is Patricia really the Queen, if so I certainly apologize for any disrepect I may have show you in past posts ^_^ Personally I would go to Lansing, but my preference would be St. Louis as there are many things to do. I'm sure some folks may not be interested in doing all the things mentioned above, but at least they are available. In my case, I would proabably consider staying an extra day or two, although I'm sure many may not have this opportunity. B3-er, any thoughts???

In any event, I hope everyone on this board and their families have a safe and happy holiday season!

Mark

Who says it has to be two days, POTRICIA?

And WHO named you Queen?

There is one single determining factor that no one has mentioned:

Would the members of Organissimo be willing to travel to hang?

They are the linchpin-if they are willing to travel, then it ought to be majority rule.

I am a little taken aback at the question of whether I'm "Queen". Of course not. Besides, I hate pomp and ceremony. I'm simply trying to be a catalyst for discussion. As far as I'm concerned, wherever the majority decides the hang should be held would be fine with me. My suggestion of Lansing as a site was based on it's being the home of Organissimo. July or later is better for me, but summer is usually hot, wherever it is, so that's not really an issue, is it?

Of course you're right, DAN. [sorry for the errant "o". I didn't say I could spell]. The deciding factor is whether members would be willing to travel to a central location, wherever it is. That's what a hang is.

Knowing, courtesy of Berigan, that the Bowling Hall Of Fame is in St Louis, as well as it being the original source of the Corvette AND that the park is bigger than Central Park, as well as everything being close, it does look better. I'm not a bowling person, but I'm sure some are.

I would be flying, so being right in the middle of things is a plus.

No, it doesn't have to be two days. It could be one day, or three days, or whatever. However long it is, we would have to plan for it.

So, we should come to a consensus and that's all I'm saying. :blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

Jeezus, Dan...and people thought Deep was being a bozo... :rolleyes:

That's OK, Jazzmoose. I guess that Dan isn't the only one who seems to want to be confrontational when I just want to contribute in a positive way. I corrected the spelling of his name and can only say that it was a typo. Holy man!

Because I would have to make major plans, were I to participate in a hang, I just was trying to establish a central point of discussion of the date, site etc.

Of course getting everybody to agree is the lynchpin of the whole discussion. I'm open to whatever the majority wants.

There have been hangs at various points, through various sites, which were great, according to those who got together. There have also been proposed hangs which sank without a trace, after many months of back and forth, with only one or two who showed up. That was a shame. The idea is a good one and I'm assuming that we want to attract as many participants as possible. It might be a problem if the venue selected was too far to travel, or too expensive. Getting together is the main thing.

If we are interested in actually pulling this off, there should be, at least I think, as little negative input as possible. After all, why would anyone want to travel a long way to waste their time??

So, if anybody has a good suggestion, that is feasable to the majority, let's hear it.

Jeezus, Dan...and people thought Deep was being a bozo... :rolleyes:

That's OK, Jazzmoose. I guess that Dan isn't the only one who seems to want to be confrontational when I just want to contribute in a positive way. I corrected the spelling of his name and can only say that it was a typo. Holy man!

Because I would have to make major plans, were I to participate in a hang, I just was trying to establish a central point of discussion of the date, site etc.

Of course getting everybody to agree is the lynchpin of the whole discussion. I'm open to whatever the majority wants.

There have been hangs at various points, through various sites, which were great, according to those who got together. There have also been proposed hangs which sank without a trace, after many months of back and forth, with only one or two who showed up. That was a shame. The idea is a good one and I'm assuming that we want to attract as many participants as possible. It might be a problem if the venue selected was too far to travel, or too expensive. Getting together is the main thing.

If we are interested in actually pulling this off, there should be, at least I think, as little negative input as possible. After all, why would anyone want to travel a long way to waste their time??

So, if anybody has a good suggestion, that is feasable to the majority, let's hear it.

If and when a date and location are decided upon, we should try and figure out how to finance this for airfare, as well as food, & lodging..

Exactly.

Thank you Radissimo.

I agree that the practical aspects are paramount.

Once we agree on the site, then, it would make sense that those who live there, or near there would be in the best position to scout it out and post the options, re travel, lodging tentative plans etc.

We don't want to plan it to death, but it seems to me that there should be some sort of flexible shape this thing, if it jells, could take.

The New York-based sites have had hangs there, but to distinguish this site, I think that the locations mentioned, Lansing, St Louis etc. would be a nice change and more representative of Organissimo. The band is interesting to me, because it is a hopeful sign that all jazz is not necessarily in New York, which is crushingly expensive for me to get to, even if I were to sleep on somebody's floor. Let them come to us for a change :rolleyes::blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

So all you have to do is put a winker after whatever you say and that makes it o.k. :w

I was going to add a like minded retort to Dan Gould's "innocent" little gesture several posts above but decided not to lower myself. In the meantime, since this idea will probably go nowhere, it makes no sense (for me) to continue in the discussion.

:ph34r:

So all you have to do is put a winker after whatever you say and that makes it o.k.    :w

I was going to add a like minded retort to Dan Gould's "innocent" little gesture several posts above but decided not to lower myself.  In the meantime, since this idea will probably go nowhere, it makes no sense (for me) to continue in the discussion.

:ph34r:

Ed.

No, just putting a winker next to a mean-spirited comment, or rude picture, mocking us does not make it OK.

I understand your attitude and if I weren't serious about this project I wouldn't bother trying to rally support for it. Those who know me, know that when it comes to major things, or attitudes toward people, I am very serious and don't take kindly to those who post mean-spirited comments, or propose ideas which are simply pixels on a page. The web is an amazing vehicle for us and we have to remember that we are all real people and I, for one, try to be the same person here as I am in my "real" life. This site, and others simply enable us to make contact with those we ordinarily wouldn't and that's great.

If there are those who don't think an Organissimo hang is a viable idea, then that's fine.

As you probably realize, it would be a fairly major undertaking for those, like me and probably others, to attend an Organissimo hang, considering that I live in a different country, but I'm willing to do it, if it gets off the ground.

There are always those who think it's clever to knock the wheels off other people's wagons and the only thing to do is just consider the source. If they aren't interested, they should just back off. There is nothing to be gained by being an ass.

An Organissimo hang could be a fun thing and I'm all for as many of us as can to put one together. I hope that you will change your mind and, what the hell, I'm sure that Dan didn't mean to be a jerk. He's probably a perfectly nice guy. After all, he likes jazz, so how bad can he be?? :wub:

Edited by patricia