Fred Anderson on the radio March 16th, WHPK.org

Lazaro Vega

Monday, March 16, Fred Anderson will be the guest on Zoundz!, 6:30 to 9 pm on WHPK 88.5 FM Chicago and http://www.whpk.org

Fred Anderson, the very original, lyrical, creative, and generous tenor saxophonist -- "the lone prophet of the prairie," wrote a perceptive admirer -- celebrates his 80th birthday this week. He's also been a spiritual father to four generations of adventurous young Chicago jazz artists, as host of his own nightclub, the Velvet Lounge, and other venues. Next week jazz artists from Chicago and from around the world will perform at the world-famous Velvet Lounge, 67 East Cermak Road, to celebrate Fred Anderson's lifetime of artistic devotion.

On Zoundz! we'll hear him talk about his career and hear recordings by himself, by artists he admires, and by friends, including some music recorded at the Velvet Lounge. We hope you'll join us.

Zoundz!, with Michael Rock and John Litweiler, brings you jazz from many galaxies every Monday on Chicago's leading jazz station, WHPK-FM.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

just curious - I was reading up about about Anderson, who, chronologically, would have, if he were so inclined, been a 2nd generation bebopper (give or take a few years) - and he mentions Bird and Prez as early inspirations - do there exist any recordings of him in this vein?

John just read a quote Fred gave to Lazaro on WBLV. Nice. Fred chuckled and said it was true.

Aw man, I missed that part, but did hear them talking about you, Chuck, when they played some early Jarman. Was swept up in bedtime for the girls and couldn't sit and listen. Reading them Brother's Grimm (sunny days, sunny days). I wonder if John recorded this one.....?

just curious - I was reading up about about Anderson, who, chronologically, would have, if he were so inclined, been a 2nd generation bebopper (give or take a few years) - and he mentions Bird and Prez as early inspirations - do there exist any recordings of him in this vein?

Not that I know of, either, but I just thought I'd mention that in a Chicago Tribune article he said he still listens to Prez, Bird and Hawk every night in his headphones when he goes to sleep. I thought that was pretty cool.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...0,4803997.story

Because he waited a long, long time to take his music "public" I'd bet he left the "sound alike" part of his development in the 'shed. In those interviews where he talks about learning from the early greats he often says, "Not to copy them," but as an aid in helping him raise his own musical standards.