Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

lake_again.jpg

Had a listen to Oliver Lake's "Again And Again" (Grammavision, rec. 1991).

It's an all ballads disc (all composed by Lake), with John Hicks, Reggie Workman, and Pheeroan ak Laff. Pretty good, in my opinion. Not a disc to get enthusiastic about all of a sudden, I guess, but I think one that could slowly grow.

Now back again to Ellington Uptown - fantastic! Last night (and this morning) spun the Masterpieces CD, and hey, this is GREAT music!

ubu

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so, I've been relistening to this disc today:

f57081d74cm.jpg

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Black Water (Red Giant)

Mahanthappa - Alto

Vijay Iyer - Piano

Francois Moutin - Bass

Elliot Humberto Kavee - Drums

This is a fantastic album! It reminds me a lot of the Pullen / Adams discs I have heard in its balance between "out" and "in" playing, although I feel that it stays more in the pocket than not. Great playing and nice tunes. :tup

I'm listening to this disc right now. I'm not sure I like what I'm hearing, it's Mahanthappa's tone that's increasingly bothering me; it has a kind of "nagging" or "whining" quality that doesn't appeal to me.

trost070_hp.jpg

Listening to this one right now - finally got it, and got it cheap. There's a sale going on, discs for around 3.5 bucks, and me just got a pile... among them this one.

The line up is:

Michael Wertmüller - drums

Alex Buess - reeds & electronics

Peter Brötzmann - reeds

Stephan Wittwer - guitar

William Parker - bass

The label the disc was released on is Trost, Austrian, and, as far as I know, not involved with any other free jazz/improv releases. Buess is a swiss saxophonist and clarinetist, and it was him who produced the whole thing. Wittwer, of course, is the guitar player I mentioned several times by now, Brötzel must be known to all of you, and Wertmüller, a fantastic drummer, might be known by some of you as well, as he appeared on a recent Brötzel trio disc (don't own it), which, I think, also featured the other well-known of the above players, William Parker.

First impression while not even yet halfway through is that this is quite a noisy affair, sort of what you expect when you hear the name of Brotz, and what I expected also knowing Wittwer was involved. Wertmüller does his incredible things, the reeds squeak and squeel, Wittwer and Parker provide a wall of sound, blending with the bass drum, and me likes...

ubu

so, I've been relistening to this disc today:

f57081d74cm.jpg

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Black Water (Red Giant)

Mahanthappa - Alto

Vijay Iyer - Piano

Francois Moutin - Bass

Elliot Humberto Kavee - Drums

This is a fantastic album!  It reminds me a lot of the Pullen / Adams discs I have heard in its balance between "out" and "in" playing, although I feel that it stays more in the pocket than not.  Great playing and nice tunes.  :tup

I'm listening to this disc right now. I'm not sure I like what I'm hearing, it's Mahanthappa's tone that's increasingly bothering me; it has a kind of "nagging" or "whining" quality that doesn't appeal to me.

I have to revise my earlier comment: once I got used to Mahanthappa's tone I liked this disc a lot better. I will have to play it again soon, though.

Now listening to:

B0000DZ3E9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

again with Mahanthappa.

...and Wertmüller, a fantastic drummer, might be known by some of you as well, as he appeared on a recent Brötzel trio disc (don't own it)...

I haven't done much of listening in the last several weeks, and when I did I was listening mostly to heavy metal stuff (and Captain Beefheart sometimes). And one of the things that I enjoy in heavy metal is drummers. it is really the music where drummers have reached some super-human level of abilities, and occasionally I do wish these guys with amazing chops and phenomenal stamina would use their talents in improv setting. And the only heavy meatla typeof drummer in improv music I can think of is Michael Wertmüller - he combines the best of two worlds - power of heavy metal drumming with improvisational thinking.

The disc ubu refers to is Nothung (on Intone) -Brötzmann / Paprker / Wertmüller trio live. My little review should be on the very first page of this thread. I would just add that Wertmüller's playing is an absolute highlite of this disc for me.

Edited by Д.Д.

Here are the more or less rat-related items I picked up, all for the prize of 5 swiss franks...

Never heard of Luther Thomas...

I haven't listened to him in a while, but I really enjoyed Funky Donkey and his other album on the Unheard Music Series. I'll have to pull them out again sometime soon. The closest album I can think of to them that you might have heard is Joe McPhee's Nation Time. It has a similar mix of free jazz and funk.

Edited by John B

J.A.W. - Good to hear you're digging those two, if it's not too early to say that. Mahanthappa's tone indeed has a certain gritti/raw-ness that might bother some, at least on first hearing. Me, I liked it from the get-go.

king ubu - That's a hell of a sale they're having over there, it seems, lucky you.

Here are the more or less rat-related items I picked up, all for the prize of 5 swiss franks...

Let me know how this Ornette is. I think it's OOP, so I am thinking whether it's worth searching for it or not.

There's a free downloadable track available from this CD via the Atavistic website - sort of free funk, with both the Bowie's involved, as well as J.D. Parran and Charles "Bobo" Shaw.

Will tell you about the Ornette (still haven't listened to the Björk, by the way).

ubu

J.A.W. - Good to hear you're digging those two, if it's not too early to say that. Mahanthappa's tone indeed has a certain gritti/raw-ness that might bother some, at least on first hearing. Me, I liked it from the get-go.

king ubu - That's a hell of a sale they're having over there, it seems, lucky you.

could have gotten some more discs, but I picked up around a third of the jazz discs from all the bins I went through... far too much, of course, but at 70 CHF (+/-50$) it's quite alright... And I only went into that shop by chance...

Now listening: some live miles from the seventies :w

ubu

There's a free downloadable track available from this CD via the Atavistic website - sort of free funk, with both the Bowie's involved, as well as J.D. Parran and Charles "Bobo" Shaw.

here 'tis

thank you for posting these links, ubu! I'll listen to the Miles once I get home from the gym tonight.

I enjoyed the live Prince shows a lot more than I expected to. I downloaded them for a friend who is a Prince fanatic and gave the San Jose show a listen before giving him the cdrs. Great stuff!

thank you for posting these links, ubu! I'll listen to the Miles once I get home from the gym tonight.

I enjoyed the live Prince shows a lot more than I expected to. I downloaded them for a friend who is a Prince fanatic and gave the San Jose show a listen before giving him the cdrs. Great stuff!

Haven't listened to a lot of the Prince shows yet, but what I've heard so far sounded REAL good and REAL FUNKY!

Finished the Miles half way, irritated by the timings given on the Losin-page linked from darkfunk.com - same thing with the last Miles show on the darkfunk site: either the speed of those MP3s is wrong, or it's not from the date linked to... don't know the answer, myself, but I'll enjoy the music once I'm in the mood for it. While I have to be in the mood for almost any seventies Miles, I do enjoy it a lot, when I'm in taht mood, and I hope for more from the Fillmore as well, that 2CD thingie is some of best Miles ever made! Also, he's on fire there! Some of the greatest trumpet playing he ever delivered!

Spinning now:

B0000DYMTN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

First listen, starts off with a beautiful rendition of my all time favourite monk ballad, 'Round Midnight. Foster on brushes, Henderson terriffic, and Haden less Haden than often, and for the good of it!

Wonder what "In The Moment" will be like - the CD liners by Haden mention Henderson coming to him before the concert, telling him he wanted to play "something free like [he] did with Ornette"...

ubu

[...]

I hope for more from the Fillmore as well, that 2CD thingie is some of best Miles ever made! Also, he's on fire there! Some of the greatest trumpet playing he ever delivered!

Exactly! I was always bemused by statements about Miles having no chops.

As for Henderson - I like Henderson a lot when he plays "out" (well, "slightly out") - if you don't have it, check out his very impressive CD with Alice Coltrane called Elements (...I think) - it's on Fantasy/OJC.

Thinking about it, I like Henderson even if he does not play "out"! What a monster muscian he was!

Edited by Д.Д.

[...]

I hope for more from the Fillmore as well, that 2CD thingie is some of best Miles ever made! Also, he's on fire there! Some of the greatest trumpet playing he ever delivered!

Exactly! I was always bemused by statements about Miles having no chops.

As for Henderson - I like Henderson a lot when he plays "out" (well, "slightly out") - if you don't have it, check out his very impressive CD with Alice Coltrane called Elements (...I think) - it's on Fantasy/OJC.

Thinking about it, I like Henderson even if he does not play "out"! What a monster muscian he was!

I love Henderson - even when he's not "out" at all and smooth and all - he always has some sort of "edge" - don't know any of his Milestone/OJCs (as I always thought - and still do - I'll get the box some day...)

What I have are the four readily available discs he did with K.D. for Blue Note, and some later stuff. I like the Montreux recording with Corea/Peacock/Haynes very very much!

The Montréal disc keeps being good! Track two is an extended version of All the Things You Are (almost 20 mins), Haden and Foster solo beautifully as well, and it has a very loose feel!

Haden had a very strong week back then in Montréal! I have the LMO, Bley/Motian (hardly know it - will spin right after), Allen/Motian, as well as a burn of the OOP Cherry/Blackwell, and I consider each and every one of them good to very good. I hear the Rubalcaba/Motian is maybe the best... will get that before it goes OOP. However, I can't really warm to the thought of buying the duo with Gismonti (on ECM, strangely).

ubu

as a PS to Henderson: I of course have "State of the Tenor"! (WOW!)

I hear the Rubalcaba/Motian is maybe the best... will get that before it goes OOP.

I heard Rubalcaba set many years ago, and I thought ti was unbearable - RUbalcaba seemed like this typical virtuoso empty-chatter type of player (think bad Oscar Peterson).

Uh, that doesn't exaclty sound enthusiastic... I hardly know Rubalcaba. I like the duo record with Lovano alright, and I have a solo concert, which is quite nice, but other than that not much. Ah, yes, he's on Haden's "Nocturne", and surprisingly, I liked that quite well!

ubu