Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ubu - I thought you had At the Vortex too, no?

Anyway, I gave another listen to both discs of Birds and Blades yesterday - great music overall, beautifully recorded too.

Another one I would recommend is Chicago Tenor Duets with Joe McPhee, for the most part Parker is outside his comfort zone (however wide that zone might be), a very good disc with very musical and amazing interplay between the two.

ubu - I thought you had At the Vortex too, no?

Anyway, I gave another listen to both discs of Birds and Blades yesterday - great music overall, beautifully recorded too.

Another one I would recommend is Chicago Tenor Duets with Joe McPhee, for the most part Parker is outside his comfort zone (however wide that zone might be), a very good disc with very musical and amazing interplay between the two.

Sure, I have the Vortex, but not exactly in a form to be proud of, speaking in terms of supporting the artists... ;) (thanks, love it!)

The Chicago duets, yes, I've had that one in my hands a few times in stores, but never decided to pick it up so far.

You'll be getting some, some day, I haven't forgotten! (The BFT meant/means - till I have all the answers ready - quite a lot of work!)

ubu

Hey, Clunky: that Occhipinti, is that the "Kaos Legend" disc on Leo? It's OOP, if you see another copy, tell D.D., he's looking for it! I recently found it, too, and I like it quite a lot!

ubu

No it's Jazzhalo from Belgium.. interesting if not easy listening

Guest Chaney

have you all seen jon abbey's sale list?  some very interesting discs.  have any of you heard this one:  Gianni Gebbia-H Portraits (Rastascan)?

Just had another listen to H Portriats.

Essential? Probably not. Enjoyable? Yes.

I'm not sure what other company Gebbia is in the habit of keeping but I just feel that he does very well with Rastascan and the criminally underrated San Francisco Bay Area scene / musicians.

Aw heck. If you're ordering from Jon anyway, send him the $8 for this one.

Д.Д.:   Do you follow what is currently going on in Russian jazz?   I am currently based in Moscow for a while, but don't recognize all but a few names.   Are there a few new Moscow names that I should be looking out for?

I recently heard Chekasin with the gypsy group Lyoko.  It was sublime.

Д.Д. is probably on a plane somewhere.

Until his return, here's a neat label run by Anatoly Vapirov that you might want to check out. I don't own any of their stuff but their offerings sure look interesting. Ordering looks like it'd be a pain in the arse; too bad -- for me -- there doesn't seem to be a USA distributor.

logo-100.jpg

Edited by Chaney

here's a neat label run by Anatoly Vapirov that you might want to check out. I don't own any of their stuff but their offerings sure look interesting. Ordering looks like it'd be a pain in the arse; too bad -- for me -- there doesn't seem to be a USA distributor.

logo-100.jpg

Thanks a lot, Tony, for the AVA link. I was aware of the label, even have an early CD, but it came as a big surprise that Anatoly Vapirov has dozens of CDs out on AVA! I just sent an e-mail to Mr. Vapirov, asking him about line-ups of the more recent AVA discs and about postage costs. As you said, ordering directly from AVA seemingly is rather complicated (no big wonder, we're talking about ordering from Bulgaria!), but I guess there aren't any other options.

Guest Chaney

You're welcome! :tup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SAYEK LOUGH ROBERTSON TRIO

Tom Sayek: percussion

Chris Lough: bass

Herb Robertson: brass

MP3s

Please download and enjoy these files, but do not reproduce this copyrighted material for commercial purposes without permission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John B: Any familiarity with the Creative Sources Recordings label? Sounds like it might be up your musical alley. Actually, sound pretty good to me! A bit like the EAI thang but without too much of the E.

Jon? Any comments on this label? Am I way off base in thinking its offerings akin to EAI?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opinions sought on these labels / performers:

SPOOL

Official Website of Composer/Musician Ernesto Diaz-Infante / Pax Recordings

Zzaj Productions CATALOG at HOMEMADEMUSIC.com

Edited by Chaney

Some of the most interesting Parker's tenor playing I've heard - indeed outside of his regular tenor rutine (such as on 2 X 3 = 5 which I find quite boring and predictable). Essential disc. Same refers to duo / tro disc with Braxton and Rutherford on Leo - when Parker is challeged be equally strong-personaity reed player he shows his best, IMO (I think Nate said something along these lines before).

Д.Д.:   Do you follow what is currently going on in Russian jazz?   I am currently based in Moscow for a while, but don't recognize all but a few names.   Are there a few new Moscow names that I should be looking out for?

I recently heard Chekasin with the gypsy group Lyoko.  It was sublime.

Д.Д. is probably on a plane somewhere.

Until his return, here's a neat label run by Anatoly Vapirov that you might want to check out. I don't own any of their stuff but their offerings sure look interesting. Ordering looks like it'd be a pain in the arse; too bad -- for me -- there doesn't seem to be a USA distributor.

logo-100.jpg

Oh yes, did a bit of traveling this week. Flew to Tashkent (Uzbekistan), drove 1000 km from there to Almaty (Kazakhstan) and then flew into Moscow this morning. The rest of March will be equally dynamic.

---------------------

John, if you read Russian you might want to check http://jazz.ru/ out - a weekly-updated web-magazine with a list of Moscow jazz events (if not a complete one).

http://afisha.ru/ has a list of all Moscow entertainment events of various degrees of sophiostication, including jazz concerts.

http://dom.com.ru/ is the best club in Moscow devoted to creative music and art. Not at all "jazz"-exclusive (a lot of "ethnic" music projects this month, as I see), but if something really interesting jazz-related happens in Moscow, then it is most likely here.

------------------------

A word of warning on Vapirov's AVA label releases - these are CDRs, and out of 3 I received one had a very noticable sound defect (which happens occasionally with old and low-quality CDRs) rendering the CD practically unlistenable (the CD is New European Saxophone Quartet with (listen here) Vapirov, Gianni Gebbia, Petras Visniauskas and Carlo Actis Dato, btw). I plan to contact Vapirov soon, and I am sure he will replace the CD, as he seems to be a very nice guy (and was really surprised somebody actually is interested in his music). An outstanding musician as well, of course. I would highly reocmmend checking out his contribution to the Golden Years of the Soviet New Jazz, Vol. I set (Leo) before plunging into the AVA catalog.

A word of warning on Vapirov's AVA label releases - these are CDRs, and out of 3 I received one had a very noticable sound defect (which happens occasionally with old and low-quality CDRs) rendering the CD practically unlistenable (the CD is New European Saxophone Quartet with (listen here) Vapirov, Gianni Gebbia, Petras Visniauskas and Carlo Actis Dato, btw).

Д.Д., the only AVA recording I have is the duo with Harry Tavitian, and it is a CD (not a CDR), but this one was released before burning CDs on your own became the commodity it is today...

Considering your warning, I am no more sure about how to act now: The AVA catalogue seemingly is full of hidden gems, and in fact I already have ALL of Vapirov's Leo releases (plus one on the Russian Solyd label)... Anatoly Vapirov immediately replied to my e-mail, saying that if I order 5 to 7 CDs, postage will be around €20, which is quite expensive (much higher than postage for airmail deliveries from the USA or Japan). And in addition, there probably will be considerable bank charges for transfering money to a Bulgarian account. You have any experience with paying that way, Д.Д.? And there really isn't a less costly method of paying? And finally, what about customs/VAT?

I already made a personal selection of six CDs I'd like to order from AVA (among them the sax quartet you mentioned and a duo with Vladimir Tarasov). But, hmm, the risk of paying lots of money for defective CDRs somewhat discourages me...

Not that I am opposed to CDRs in general: I own the complete Duns catalogue (Paul Dunmall's CDR label) which is 43 CDRs (including two 4-CD sets and one twofer) up to the present day. There were Duns CDRs with minor defects, but Paul instantaneously replaced those by faultless ones. But hey, this is England, not Bulgaria!

Edited by Martin

Martin, I would ask Anatoly to decrease the shipping fee - it sounds like too much to me.

If you have a bank account in a major European bank, it should be easy to make a bank transfer by Internet (if you have Anatoly's bank details, of course), but yes, there can be some trasfer fee. There is no VAT, and I don't think German customs will charge you any import taxes (particularly is you ask Anatoly to put low value level on the customs slip).

----------------

Any particular recommendations for DUNNs? Don't hae too many Dunnmall Cds. but what I've heard I enjoyed a lot (just listened his "Hit and Run" (FMP) (actually, not really a DUnmall disc - this is bassist's John Edwards' set of duos with Paul Dunnmall and John Butcher - and a couple of shorte tracks where they play as a trio) today - some insane stuff, particuarly on bagpipes.

Guest Chaney

Crpies, David. In this day and age, should placing an order for music be made so difficult? And why make the transaction that much more painful with exorbitant shipping fees? I just don't get it.

Maybe I should offer to be Anatoly's North American distributor? :w

Guest Chaney

Jon?  Any comments on this label?  Am I way off base in thinking its offerings akin to EAI?

yes, there's definitely some overlap, the Baltschun/Dorner/Fagaschinski disc was one of the most interesting non-Ersts I heard last year, decidedly recommended.

Very interesting sounds and soundscapes being created and, with the strong presence of the acoustic instruments, seemingly much more accessible to my jazz-biased ears.

Once my wallet has recovered from its latest thrashing, I'll have to try a couple of those Creative Sources Recordings disks.

New ones on EMANEM:

CLIVE BELL & SYLVIA HALLETT - 'The Geographers' (2004)

EMANEM 4112 65 minutes.

Following their 2004 FREEDOM OF THE CITY festival performance (heard on EMANEM 4215), Clive Bell and Sylvia Hallett went into the studio to record some more improvisations. Bell used Cretan pipes, harmonica, khene, pi saw, shakuhachi, stereo goathorns and a whirling bat drum, while Hallett used anklung, bicycle wheel, electronics, mbira, sarangi, saw, viola, violin and voice. Between them they created a very exotic sound world.

ANTHONY BRAXTON & MILO FINE 'Shadow Company (2004)'

EMANEM 4113 66 minutes.

Anthony Braxton invited Milo Fine to travel half way across the USA so they could make some music together for the very first time. The result was the extended free improvisation (with gaps) which is heard complete on this CD. Braxton used four saxophones, and Fine two clarinets, piano and drums.

ROGER SMITH & LOUIS MOHOLO-MOHOLO вЂThe Butterfly and the Bee’ (2004)

EMANEM 4114 71 minutes.

Following the success of their very first performance together at the 2004 FREEDOM OF THE CITY festival (heard on EMANEM 4215), Roger Smith and Louis Moholo-Moholo went into the studio to record some more. Their second meeting went so well that they recorded enough duo improvisations for a complete CD. The resulting music is heard complete, with Smith on Spanish guitar and Moholo on augmented drum set.

Guest Chaney

Following their 2004 FREEDOM OF THE CITY festival performance (heard on EMANEM 4215), Clive Bell and Sylvia Hallett went into the studio to record some more improvisations. Bell used Cretan pipes, harmonica, khene, pi saw, shakuhachi, stereo goathorns and a whirling bat drum, while Hallett used anklung, bicycle wheel, electronics, mbira, sarangi, saw, viola, violin and voice. Between them they created a very exotic sound world. 

Just for the fun of it...

askobadura.jpgharmonica.gifke001.jpg

ppc0634.jpgLD-02-Shakuhachi-1.8.jpgppc2041.jpg

mbira.jpgsarangi.jpgsaegeallein.jpg

etc.

^_^

Edited by Chaney

Just for the fun of it...

Beautiful instruments.

I am always a bit suspicious about musicians plaing miriads of instruments, though.

Guest Chaney

I am always a bit suspicious about musicians plaing miriads of instruments, though.

And what I've pictured is not even all of the instruments listed! (What the heck is whirling bat drum and stereo goathorns? Not to mention the added electronics.)

Bicycle wheel?

Not in any way mocking these folks as I'm quite the fan of (percussionist) Gino Robair and he's known for playing some odd instruments.

Edited by Chaney

Д.Д., yes, I have thought about possibilities to lower shipping costs for a future AVA order, but Anatoly himself points out that he works with "certified shipping companies" in order to ensure proper delivery of his CDs. He surely has his points. I have not had much experience with ordering from Eastern European countries, and in my personal 25 years+ history of collecting records there were ony two cases of packages having got lost in the mail - some years ago from England (Incus) and in late 2004 from Italy (Giancarlo Schiaffini). Karen and Giancarlo readily resent the parcels, and finally everything worked out fine. Giancarlo proved to be a particularly nice guy: he shrugged off the affair with a good dose of (Roman?) humor.

As to the value on the customs slip: Don't know if insurance is an issue for Anatoly's certified shipping company, but I absolutely can imagine it is...

Not an easy task to pick some recs out of Paul's vast Duns catalogue. To get an overview of Duns CDRs up to no.022, I recommend you to read Steve Lake's essay here. If you like the bagpipes on Hit And Run, I'd go for Bagpipes II, the second (of three) bagpipes solo recordings and the one I like best. Track titles are just as great as the music! The trio with Paul Rogers and Philip Gibbs has quite a lot of CDRs out (partly augmented by a fourth musician), but for me Live At The Quaker Centre and The State Of Moksha Live are among the strongest. If you prefer stuff with drums, you might try Kunikazu (with Keith Tippett), Zooplongoma or Garganchelopes. Those discs feature Peter Fairclough, Tony Marsh and Tony Bianco, respectively, on the drum chair.