Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Listening to Work.  Oh boy!  Now THAT'S the STUFF!

Pay attention to that Humair guy!

Are the other Humair Sketches good? I've got a live recording of the "Liberté Surveillée" group (Eskelin-Ducret-Chevillon) and of "Baby Boom" (quintet with two french sax players). There's a third release, "Ear Mix". Anyone has opinions on some/all of these?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the other Humair Sketches good? I've got a live recording of the "Liberté Surveillée" group (Eskelin-Ducret-Chevillon) and of "Baby Boom" (quintet with two french sax players). There's a third release, "Ear Mix". Anyone has opinions on some/all of these?

I listened to some of Liberté Surveillée in my office this morning but had to bale as Decret's guitar was not to my liking. The music as a whole also didn't really appeal to me.

First listen, thought, so be mindful of that.

Andrea Parkins(-Mirabassi) plays some  :rfr  accordeon.

You no like Andrea? I like her just find and wish that she would play more accordion and less of the other instruments she's been spending too much time with.

eskelin02.jpg

Andrea Parkins(-Mirabassi) plays some  :rfr  accordeon.

You no like Andrea? I like her just find and wish that she would play more accordion and less of the other instruments she's been spending too much time with.

I do like Andrea's accordeon playing quite a bit.

Another wonderful lady accordeonist is Eveline Petrova - a different style, though - much more elaborate and virtuosic playing than Andrea's.

-----------------------

Meanwhile, tried listening to Wheeler's "Moon" (didn't work out), Sun Ra's "Live at the Village Vanguard" (didn't go well either), and went back to Work! Enjoying it more and more with every listen.

Meanwhile, tried listening to Wheeler's "Moon" (didn't work out), Sun Ra's "Live at the Village Vanguard" (didn't go well either), and went back to Work! Enjoying it more and more with every listen.

Unlike Dal Vivo! a/k/a From the Alive One!, Work -- when it desires to do so -- manages to be jubilant without screaming CLOY! And at 47 minutes, not-at-all-odddly enough, I wanted MORE! And so, a second spin.

ON THE EDIT: CRIPES this is good! Nice call, ubu and David.

John: You're in for a treat.

Edited by Chaney

I listened to some of Liberté Surveillée in my office this morning but had to bale as Decret's guitar was not to my liking. The music as a whole also didn't really appeal to me.

I remember our MIA friend P.L.M. (whose judgement I often tend to trust) said that Ear Mix was a disaster (and P.L.M. is a big Humair's fan), while Baby Boom is good, but not outstanding (something we would call SINOW here).

I was also somewhat disappointed by Liberté Surveillée at first listen - it all just seemed too restrained for me. But having re-listened to it for the second time recently, I seem to appreciate it more now - I think a certain restraint is a conscious choice (not a lack of inspiration) here, that challenges the muscians (Eskelin in particualr, I'd say) to explore maximum opportunities within self-imposed limits. I think they do it admirably. Eskelin comes up with some pretty complexly-structured thoughtful solos and Humair is consitently brillaint (actually I concentrated in him the most). I am not sure Chevillon (a brilliant bassist) is at his best here, and Ducret is a bit too busy for my taste (both here and nearly everywhere else I've heard him), but regardless, there is a lot to enjoy on this set. Second disc has more cooking.

Edited by Д.Д.

Unlike Dal Vivo! a/k/a From the Alive One!, Work -- when it desires to do so -- manages to be jubilant without screaming CLOY! And at 47 minutes, not-at-all-odddly enough, I wanted MORE! And so, a second spin.

ON THE EDIT: CRIPES this is good! Nice call, ubu.

John: You're in for a treat.

Tony, pay a special attention to Humair's work on track 6 - the guy's imagination (and skill) is endless! Should be listened to in headphones.

Tony, pay a special attention to Humair's work on track 6 - the guy's imagination (and skill) is endless! Should be listened to in headphones.

Discovery: If you shake your head in amazement at the same time as you nod your head in joy, you get dizzy.

Track 6 = :excited:

While I'm not set up up to listen with headphones, I can hear why that might be fun; the sound on this disk is wonderful -- although, for my taste, a bit too close -- and, as with other of the Sketch titles, either the label or its engineer favors a w i d e soundstage when it comes to the percussion.

Love the subterraneum sound of Cox's bass -- bowed and plucked. I took a pass on his solo disk and now somewhat regret that I did so. (Sound sample sounded a bit weak.)

My system is pretty darned accurate and revealing so these babies sound mighty fine.

Edited by Chaney

Love the subterraneum sound of Cox's bass -- bowed and plucked.  I took a pass on his solo disk and now somewhat regtret that I did so.  (Sound sample sounded a bit weak.)

I'd say that Cox's playing here is more interesting than on his solo disc.

I must admit, I'm loving more and more these bass players that don't OVERPLAY. Anchor the music, if you like, and be creative... ALL without playing every possible note ALL of the time.

Kudos! :tup

As for "Duets", you can get it from your most reliable (if not too fast) Russian music supplier, of course. This is an excellent disc (I like it more than "Closed Mountains"), allowing Yaremchuk to display his talents in a more pronounced way. Some folk-inlfuenced singing on a couple of tracks, though.

That is saying a lot, as Closed Mountains is a fantastic disc.

Chaney,

let us know if you are able to track down a copy.

what a great disc!!! :excited:

thanks tony!

what a great disc!!! :excited:

thanks tony!

:tup

You're welcome! I'm very glad you like it.

Don't make yourself a stranger! Many more gems to be discovered within this thread. (Read above and buy Work now!)

Credit where credit is due: if it weren't for David, it's likely I'd never have heard of Yaremtchuk.

Ta!

David, thanks for your Humair post! Appreciated! I guess I'll only get the disc with Eskelin in that case. As far as "Baby Boom" is concerned I'll stick to my live recording (which I don't know all that well yet, but it seemed good).

Hey Tony/John:I have a spare copy of that live concert of that band, if you're interested! I'll send it to John, okay? Need to send him other stuff as well.

I picked up a couple more Leos:

332.jpg

265.jpg

Stefano Maltese Open Sound Ensemble - Living Alive!

And from a fellow board member I picked up Billy Hart's "Enchance". Very good one! With Hannibal, Eddie Henderson, Oliver Lake, Dewey Redman, Don Pullen, Dave Holland or Buster Williams, and some percussionist. Not all musicians are present on all tracks, but most of them are on most of the tracks. Recommended if you can find it! It's a late 80ies A&M Digipack reissue, remastered by RVG.

Here's a small cover shot:

j70197716.jpg

ubu

Tony, I'm glad you like "Work"! I got that one probably soon after it came out, and it's a very dear favourite among the 20 or so Lacy releases that stack up in my place!

I recommended it several times in several threads, I have no doubt about it *being* good (not just me liking it...)

ubu

And from a fellow board member I picked up Billy Hart's "Enchance". Very good one! With Hannibal, Eddie Henderson, Oliver Lake, Dewey Redman, Don Pullen, Dave Holland or Buster Williams, and some percussionist. Not all musicians are present on all tracks, but most of them are on most of the tracks. Recommended if you can find it! It's a late 80ies A&M Digipack reissue, remastered by RVG.

Hannibal is great! Would love to heare more of him!

Same here - I guess his Enja stuff is all OOP, right? I have him on one track of the *great* Elvin Jones Enja that was done live at the Village Vanguard with Wilbur Little (?) and George Coleman, and on "Open Windows" or what's it called, the date he co-led with George Adams, a live recording made in a Zurich club, released on Enja as well.

Same here - I guess his Enja stuff is all OOP, right?

You never know with Enja HW...

I got this one from amazon.de some time ago - and it is good:

B000005C6D.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Here's the one I have:

4084.jpg

I found it ok, but not outstanding. Not sure how well John Scofield's urban guitar fits in...

George Adams ts

Hannibal Peterson tp

John Scofield g

Ron Burton p

Paul Schmocker b

Allen Nelson dr

1 More Sightings

2 Don't Take Your Love From Me

3 Soul Brothers

4 Do You Know Where We Are Going?

5 Melanie

6 I Could Really Go For You

Producer: Stefan Winter

Engineer: Peter Pfister

Rec. Date: September 9th, 1984

Look who produced this one!

In addition to the one you have, David, there's this one that's also listed on the Enja Weber site:

3085.jpg

Marvin ‘Hannibal’ Peterson tp

George Adams fl, ts

Kenny Barron p

Diedre Murray cello

Cecil McBee b

Dannie Richmond dr

Pat Peterson voc

The Harlem Boys Choir

1 The Angels Of Atlanta

2 The Story Teller

3 The Inner Voice

4 Mothers Land

5 Sometimes I Feel Like

Producer: Horst Weber

Engineer: David Baker

Rec. Date: February 15th & 19th, 1981

Church Of Intercession

Cover Photo: Studio Ngé

© & (p) 1994 enja records horst weber gmbh

Any opinions? McBee & Richmond might be nice, but what about the Harlem Boys Choir?

ubu

Edited by king ubu

I remember our MIA friend P.L.M. (whose judgement I often tend to trust) said that Ear Mix was a disaster (and P.L.M. is a big Humair's fan), while Baby Boom is good, but not outstanding (something we would call SINOW here).

I was also somewhat disappointed by Liberté Surveillée at first listen - it all just seemed too restrained for me. But having re-listened to it for the second time recently, I seem to appreciate it more now - I think a certain restraint is a conscious choice (not a lack of inspiration) here, that challenges the muscians (Eskelin in particualr, I'd say) to explore maximum opportunities within self-imposed limits. I think they do it admirably. Eskelin comes up with some pretty complexly-structured thoughtful solos and Humair is consitently brillaint (actually I concentrated in him the most). I am not sure Chevillon (a brilliant bassist) is at his best here, and Ducret is a bit too busy for my taste (both here and nearly everywhere else I've heard him), but regardless, there is a lot to enjoy on this set. Second disc has more cooking.

I'm listening to Ear Mix now, in my office (=crappy system) and I'd hardly call it a disaster. Doesn't sound too bad, really.

I'll give it a spin or two tonight and post some comments.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone else notice that just after removing the cellophane from these Sketch digipacks, the front covers begin to curl upward? Not good.

Edited by Chaney

Tony, please do post some about "Ear Mix"! P.L.M. is a just but hard judge, usually.

I never noticed anything wrong about the covers, but I bought most of mine open (we're allowed to listen to discs in stores, they're not shrink-wrapped but have some re-usable plastic things wrapped around them to protect them).

David, thanks for your Humair post! Appreciated! I guess I'll only get the disc with Eskelin in that case. As far as "Baby Boom" is concerned I'll stick to my live recording (which I don't know all that well yet, but it seemed good).

Hey Tony/John:I have a spare copy of that live concert of that band, if you're interested! I'll send it to John, okay? Need to send him other stuff as well.

ubu

Thanks!!

:party:

Crap! Time to get to Work. Er, I mean, work. :rfr

Edited by Chaney