Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

d2621055on5.jpg

This one worth picking up (cheap used copy)?

I don't have this one, from other 3-4 Bergman CDs I've heard, I've found his playing to be consistently boring.

Yup - I never heard him, so I can't really say ANYthing about him. Other opinions?

Got the new Björk disc, sounds interesting. Will listen over the weekend.

ubu

Has anyone here heard the now oop Mats Gustafsson / Hamid Drake - For Don Cherry album that Okka released?  If so, is it good, great, so so, etc...

John, I don't know it, but it looks intersting. Are you sure it's on Okka? Okka website does not list it (and it does mention its OOP releases): http://okkadisk.com/

Edited by Д.Д.

d2621055on5.jpg

I don't have this one, from other 3-4 Bergman CDs I've heard, I've found his playing to be consistently boring.

Yup - I never heard him, so I can't really say ANYthing about him. Other opinions?

ubu

I had this & gave it away to a friend. Besides the fact that I don't much like Bergman's playing, the sound quality is pretty drab.

Has anyone here heard the now oop Mats Gustafsson / Hamid Drake - For Don Cherry album that Okka released?  If so, is it good, great, so so, etc...

John, I don't know it, but it looks intersting. Are you sure it's on Okka? Okka website does not list it (and it does mention its OOP releases): http://okkadisk.com/

Yes it's Okka:

http://www.okkadisk.com/releases/odl10003.html

one of their ultra-limited editions (I've reviewed one of those, the first FME disk, & it was 760 copies if memory serves). I haven't heard it.

d2621055on5.jpg

ubu

I had this & gave it away to a friend. Besides the fact that I don't much like Bergman's playing, the sound quality is pretty drab.

Thanks, I'll definitely let that one pass!

David, I'll tell you how I'll like the Björk - it got mixed reviews in all the swiss and german daily & weekly papers I read (four or five), but the things they did criticise made me want to get the disc all the more!

I have heard three of the Okka ultra-limited editions. The live DKV Trio disc is good, but nowhere near as essential as WELS/Chicago. Both Brotzmann releases are fantastic, and should be heard by everyone on this thread. The Empty Bottle cd is oop but the vinyl Atlanta Concert, with Hamid Drake and Fred Hopkins is still available.

How is the FME disc Nate?

The FME? Dullsville, I thought; but then, I'm not a fan of Vandermark in any guise (though have more patience with other formations where he's not the sole horn). I don't have it anymore to check it (gave it to a friend) but the piece I wrote on it is here:

http://www.ndorward.com/music/fme.htm

The guy I gave it to seemed to like it, though. He even liked the other thing I sent him (Braxton's 2-CD set of string orchestra music from Ljubljana), so draw your own conclusion.....

Not that anyone's asking me, but the first FME disc is indeed hit and miss with too many misses. I hear that the second's better but haven't yet heard it. Nilssen-Love's drumming when he's keeping the time is remarkable, though.

I've listened to a couple of tracks from Bjork's new album and subsequently ordered it, eagerly awaiting its delivery (along with, I might add, Rivers' Fuchsia Swing Song).

The limited edition (live) DKV trio disc is nothing special, both Wels/Chicago and Trigonometry (their other live releases) are easily recommended over it.

"For Don Cherry" - I quite like, no way, I think, that it's so-so but I won't claim that it's great either. I enjoy listening to it and don't for a moment regret getting it. But then know that I dig most of what I've heard from Gustafsson.

I spent my time with the computer last night listening to Baikida Carroll.

e53027pge9t.jpg

d05987d0430.jpg

Both of these discs are fantastic!  Door of the Cage and Marionettes on a High Wire are both very accessible discs, staying in a very melodic "free-bop" range of writing and playing.  Highly recommended!  I need to grab some more of Baikida's work.  I checked AMG, and it doesn't seem like he has many albums out as a leader.  I think the one before Door of the Cage, Shadows and Reflections, would be the one to get next.

Does anyone have recommendations for discs with him as a sideman?

I have Baikida Carroll's "Marionettes...", and it's a beautiful album indeed. Very melodic. Highly, highly recommended.

I don't have the second one you list - will have to get it.

In general, OmniTone is a very nice label, that I would like to explore more. It does have its stylistical niche - not cookie-cutter mainstream, not particularly out, but original, clever, melodic, post-hardbop stuff, that does not sound neither derivative nor dated.

I heard Carroll on the disc called I Don't Know This World Without Don Cherry (Naxos Jazz) by New York Jazz Collective (?). It's quite good, but less strong than Marionettes..., mostly due to somewhat bland compositions.

Edited by Д.Д.

I'm listening to William Parker's O'Neal's Porch (AUM Fidelity) now, and I tend to agree with some of the posters here regarding Parker's playing, I find it increasingly annoying... :tdown

I remember a lot of excitement about this one on the old BNBB, I picked it up and was highly engaged initially but can't quite say why it seems to have out stayed its welcome. There are some great tunes and it swings like hell,,,,,,,hmmmm

Sorry, but a question.  Has anyone ever ordered a Road Cone title?

Back on July 30, 2004, I placed an order for ICanClimb.jpeg and paid by personal check.  A month having passed without my order being filled, I sent a e-mail to Mike Hinds on August 29.  No response.  (I'll have to check if my check has cleared.)

Anyone know this outfit?

Sorry, but a question.  Has anyone ever ordered a Road Cone title?

I've been curious about this CD for quite some time now! - but was not sure about how active the label still is...

Ask our friends at indiejazz - they might be able to procure it for you. Or any of the musicians invovled, perhaps?

Hi, Anthony. The only problem is that I'm a nitwit! I had a friend in town and misplaced your order in the ensuing shuffle... I did find it, though, and sent it off on Saturday. Many apologies for the late delivery -- it will arrive in the next day or two.

Mike

And CD subsequently received.

:tup

Firends, I am listening to this one:

Georg Gräwe / Ernst Reijseger / Gerry Hemingway "Flex 27" (Random Acoustics, 1993) and it is stunning! I've got to further digest it (I am stil in the middle of the CD), but the music is totally captivating and mesmerizing. I remekber some lukewarn impressions of the Music & Arts CD of the same trio, but this one is a real deal.

I'm listening to William Parker's O'Neal's Porch (AUM Fidelity) now, and I tend to agree with some of the posters here regarding Parker's playing, I find it increasingly annoying...  :tdown

You're all wrong, I tell you, wrong!!!!!

While O'Neal's Porch might have been hyped far too much, I still really enjoy it. I will agree to disagree with all of you naysayers.

I didn't have a chance to listen to any music today, but, in-between yardwork, I got the new computer up and running and took the cd burner on a "test run." Everything worked perfectly, so I will start getting packages into ths mail by mid-week.

D.D. - Have you ever had a chance to see Hemingway live? He is fascinating to watch. He is another drummer that really needs to be seen to fully appreciate his abilities.

Georg Gräwe / Ernst Reijseger / Gerry Hemingway - This one sounds very interesting. How would you describe the compositions?

Edited by John B

I'm listening to William Parker's O'Neal's Porch (AUM Fidelity) now, and I tend to agree with some of the posters here regarding Parker's playing, I find it increasingly annoying...  :tdown

You're all wrong, I tell you, wrong!!!!!

While O'Neal's Porch might have been hyped far too much, I still really enjoy it. I will agree to disagree with all of you naysayers.

I didn't have a chance to listen to any music today, but, in-between yardwork, I got the new computer up and running and took the cd burner on a "test run." Everything worked perfectly, so I will start getting packages into ths mail by mid-week.

D.D. - Have you ever had a chance to see Hemingway live? He is fascinating to watch. He is another drummer that really needs to be seen to fully appreciate his abilities.

Georg Gräwe / Ernst Reijseger / Gerry Hemingway - This one sounds very interesting. How would you describe the compositions?

Well, as far as William Parker is concerned, I think my ever-wobbling tastes are (for once) firm regarding his playing: today I listened to (otherwiser very impressive) Two Day In Chicago by Fred Anderson / Kidd Jordan / Hamid Drake Willaim Parker (Eremite), and Parker's solo spots are all but embarassing (I really can't imakgine how one could have the balls to play a 5-minute solo consisting of nothing but self-indulgent silly ugly-sounding noodling while two 70-year old GIANTS are waiting on stage for their turn to share some magic with audience).

---------------------------------------------------

I had a chance to see Gerry Hemingway live twice over the last year - one with his quartet with Eskelin / Helias / Robertson (relatively lackluster mainstreamisch stuff) and next time with Frank Gratkowski quartet (also far from brilliant). Both times I found his playing too heavy-handed and ego-centered. Fun to watch, indeed: the guy is really very involved when he is playing and his hands and body movements while he plays are quite different from those of any drummer that I've seen

On the Flex 27 with Gräwe and Reijseger, Hemingway is playing with much more subltlety, nuance and wit compard to the live performance I witnessed. I really need to listen to this disc one more time to give a reasonably accurate description, but the first impression is very very positive.

I'm just going thru the two "russian" (quoted because it's mixed bag with French and German - Mr Kowald himself - improvisers on but it's an enterely russian edition) records than David has quindly send me.

So far the impressions are very positives.

I will report during the comming week (of even before), here and more precisely, what I thought of what I've heard.

NEW Peter Kowald/Alberto Braida/Giancarlo Locatelli - Aria (Free Elephant 004) Sept 2004

— bassist Kowald's last studio recording, made with pianist Braida and clarinetist Locatelli in Milan on 9/15/2002.

Peter Kowald recorded some trios with Giancarlo Locartelli (clarinet) and Alberto Braida (piano) in September 2002. It was his last studio session before he passed away on September 21.

Plus some solo improvisations by Locartelli an Braida.

004_titel.jpg

elephant.gif

elephant.gif

Isn't it nice that in Germany you can still get a financial support from some organization for an improv. music label? I understand that this support is much less generous than it used to be once, but still looks like it's more than elsewhere.

As for releases - look interesting, I might pick up a couple of those.

------------------------------

Placed an order for Ayler's "Holy Ghost". $19 for shipping to Switzerland.. and probably a bit of taxes when it arrives (ubu, if you order it, don't forget to mark it as "gift")... still hsould be cheaper than getting it here in Europe.

Edited by Д.Д.

Placed an order for Ayler's "Holy Ghost". $19 for shipping to Switzerland.. and probably a bit of taxes when it arrives (ubu, if you order it, don't forget to mark it as "gift")... still hsould be cheaper than getting it here in Europe.

Where did you order it? You think you won't need to pay any custom or tax shitte?

Edited by king ubu

Where did you order it? You think you won't need to pay any custom or tax shitte?

CD Universe.

If you mark it as "gift" the tax is calculated from the lower base. Total tax should not be morwe than 10-15 Sfr.

CD Universe.

If you mark it as "gift" the tax is calculated from the lower base. Total tax should not be morwe than 10-15 Sfr.

Tell me once you get it, please! It's a bit steep anyway for my current financial situation...