Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hardly know Rubalcaba. I like the duo record with Lovano alright, and I have a solo concert, which is quite nice, but other than that not much. Ah, yes, he's on Haden's "Nocturne", and surprisingly, I liked that quite well!

ubu

king ubu - Which one is the solo concert? If you like the duo with Lovano, you can buy most of his other discs with confidence as that particular record, imho, is one of his weaker efforts. I also like Rubalcaba's playing on the recent Pat Martino disc "Think Tank" - with Joe Lovano on board as well - too bad the disc is badly recorded and just so-so, well a bit better, on the whole.

st6-spock.gif

:w

Looks like a Swiss army band conductor: "You screwd up zis bariton saxofon part in "Lion King", private!"

[deleted pic - sorry for any offense!]

Now you my friend better go home - to the cold where you belong :g

Thanks, Gokhan - the solo thing I have is a concert recording made by swiss radio. Long time I listened to it, as well as to the disc with Lovano.

The Henderson-Haden-Foster is quite good. The "out" track is in the Ornette 1960 mood, so not too "out" and certainly not disorganized or chaotic. Pulse is maintained, Haden is of course great in such a setting. Foster is very good - he never fails to surprise me when I hear him in a "mainstream"-setting - he'll always be Miles' comeback drummer for me, that's how I first heard him (on "We Want Miles", to be exact). The disc ends with a fourth number, another lenghty jam, this time on Bird's "Passport". Rather nice, I must say!

Now starting with the Haden-Bley-Motian disc.

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Mies form the 70s is my favorite Miles! I hope one day they will release the complete Live At Fillmore East recordings (my favorite Miles Davis disc - but with horrendous edits)...

B000002AH4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think my favourite Miles from the seventies is Live/Evil , but its a tough choice .

I've been playing this one today - some powerful playing by all .

e891687r0ap.jpg

I think my favourite Miles from the seventies is Live/Evil , but its a tough choice .

I've been playing this one today - some  powerful playing by all .

e891687r0ap.jpg

Live - Evil has this McLaughlin guy who I can't stand. Also, the short studio tracks are kinda boring, no? My favorite moment is the opening of the very first track, the live one with this bass vamp and Miles' wah-wah trumpet - yeah! But then it becomes less and less interesting for me. Overall, Live-Evill sounds to me much more simplistic than absolutely wild Fillmore East stuff.

It's About Time, I listened to only once, and I thought it was phenomenal.

Edited by Д.Д.

Oh well each to their own , I think the short studio tracks (with Hermeto Pascal)have their own time & place & are probably not best suited in the middle of this CD, but when you do find the time & place they hit the spot for me.

Track one Sivad is great , I do try & put this one on even when the wifes around so I can get away playing some jazz hoping not even she can resist it because its sooooo FUNKY

Phenomenal is a good word for Its about Time .

I do love the Filmore East / Black Beauty CDs also.

Oh well each to their own , I think the short studio tracks (with Hermeto Pascal)have their own time & place & are probably not best suited in the middle of this CD, but when you do find the time & place they hit the spot for me.

Track one Sivad is great , I do try & put this one on even when the wifes around so I can get away playing some jazz hoping not even she can resist it because its sooooo FUNKY

Phenomenal is a good word for Its about Time .

I do love the Filmore East / Black Beauty CDs also.

I love "Live Evil" and maybe it's my favourite of those live 2CD sets... can't wait for the box to appear!

The short tracks don't really belong in there, I think, except for that one 5 or so minute long one with McLaughlin, that's pretty good.

The Jack Johnson set has the full date with Hermeto Pascoal attached, I think just before the original album mix. Quite nice stuff, but not really in company of the soaring "Live Evil" material.

Have just finished a listen to this one:

sn121286.jpg

I think it's a craftsmanlike disc, good tunes, good arrangements, good musicians (Varner, Eskelin, Drew Gress, Tom Rainey, and Ed Jackson on alto - never heard him before). The music changes from J.B.-funk to out-ish (not really out) styles, and there are very good solos by all involved. Ed Jackson is quite nice, would like to hear more of him. Eskelin can do no wrong in my book, and the rhythm team is great. Varner himself is an astonishing musician, for sure!

However, all in all the disc leaves me lukewarm, somehow - might have as much to do with production and sound of it, as it has with the actual music.

ubu

1970 was certainly a vintage year for Miles , I'm sure I could get lost for decades listening to the music Miles performed in that year alone!

I can thoroughly recommend the date recorded at the Isle of Wight festival (Oh to be 20 years older). I think its about to be released on DVD.

sn121286.jpg

I think it's a craftsmanlike disc, good tunes, good arrangements, good musicians (Varner, Eskelin, Drew Gress, Tom Rainey, and Ed Jackson on alto - never heard him before). The music changes from J.B.-funk to out-ish (not really out) styles, and there are very good solos by all involved. Ed Jackson is quite nice, would like to hear more of him. Eskelin can do no wrong in my book, and the rhythm team is great. Varner himself is an astonishing musician, for sure!

However, all in all the disc leaves me lukewarm, somehow - might have as much to do with production and sound of it, as it has with the actual music.

ubu

Interesting. Based on your initial comments this one sounds like a winner. I'm curious to hear this one now.

sn121286.jpg

ubu

I had the same feeling about Gerry Hemingway Quartet “Devils Paradise” (Clean Feed) - excelent musicians (Eskelin, Dresser, Ray Anderson), good compositions (clever post bop, slightly out-ish), strong solos - but I couldn't help thinking - "what for? this has been played already thoudsand times" ... probably just too safe for my tastes.

Edited by Д.Д.

over on another board, Derek Taylor posted a brief review of the new Brotzmann / Eneidi disc on Boticelli which, along with Nate's comments here, makes this one sound very interesting, indeed.

"it’s brutal & ornery like a punch to the face, but I dig it. Eneidi jibes w/ Brötz in terms of feral ferocity, giving as good as he gets. Both spew white hot vibrato aplenty. Krall sounds like he’s sawed all his drum heads down to sharkskin edges. Even the quieter sections have barbs sharp enough to draw blood. Uncooked recording too that actually adds to the experience. "

sn121286.jpg

ubu

I had the same feeling about Gerry Hemingway Quartet “Devils Paradise” (Clean Feed) - excelent musicians (Eskelin, Dresser, Ray Anderson), good compositions (clever post bop, slightly out-ish), strong solos - but I couldn't help thinking - "what for? this has been played already thoudsand times" ... probably just too safe for my tastes.

I like the Varner and have just ordered the Hemingway !!

I've been meaning to listen to more discs with Peter Kowald as a leader. Recently, I have been re-listening to the three discs I own and need to get some more, probably starting with Was Da Ist. Right now I am listening to Touch the Earth - Break the Shells (FMP) with Wadada Leo Smith and Gunter Sommer. This is a great album! Wonderful playing and some very interesting compositions.

e26620oehi4.jpg

Edited by John B

Eneidi jibes w/ Brötz in terms of feral ferocity, giving as good as he gets.

Gotta check out this Eneidi disc I've got - it's on Boticelli records. I think it's called "Disconnected Without Notice". Will do this weekend, and will report here.

Edited by Д.Д.

When I saw Eneidi live I wasn't impressed by the first 2/3 of the show but, once the band got warmed going, they were fantastic. I think someone like Broetz could really bring out the best in Marco's playing. The only disc of his I own is Cherry Box, on Eremite. I really enjoy it, but, as William Parker is on bass, some of you might want to be cautious...

Highly irrelevant? How DARE you, sir!

B-)

GADS! That was a quick 1000 posts!

:party:

Poster - Posts

Д.Д. 732

king ubu 578

John B 453

Chaney 312

J.A.W. 233

couw 81

Gary 76