Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Two more discs to highly recommend to my Funny rat friends:

Joost Buis - Astronotes and Guus Janssen - Sound-Lee! plays the music of Lee Konitz.

Both are absolutely wonderful discs! Very playful, but with none of the ICP-esque "wackiness" that seems to characterize a lot of recent Dutch improv. These are both right at the top of my list of best recent releases I have heard.

What are the labels?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's some more Sonore to be heard here: http://www.radiofrance.fr/listen.php?pr=rt...telenum/jazz.rm

You can record it with a programme such as GoldWave that's available for free.

This thread gives the necessary explanations how to do it. After you've got it on your HD as a wave file you can set track marks with Nero Burning Room, and then pop in the CDR you got from me, add those tracks and burn it all on a new CDr. There may be differences in sound. Also, I didn't yet check the tracks from Sunday's broadcast with what I already have.

What you need to know about that broadcast is taht the Sonore part is only around 25 minutes. THere are a couple of new releases being presented first, as well as after the Sonore tracks. Skip the first 15 or so minutes and there the Sonore starts.

ubu

ubu, could you elaborate a bit on this Atzmon guy you are plugging everywhere? he is not too mainstream, is he ;)?

I guess he is, yes. I consider him a marvellous alto, soprano & clarinet player. What he does is sort of adding a jewish component to jazz, often performing standards, but also his own material, in a rather extraordinary fashion (yet mainstream, I guess).

His discs are on Enja, so go figure... as you said it recently, some mainstream, some ethno/folk... no vocals, at least on the live recordings I have. He's leading the so-called "Orient-House Ensemble" (named after the Palestinian headquarters). Living in London in exile, it seems he's a rather staunch supporter of anti-Israel or whatever you call it, anti-Sharon, for sure, policy. It seems he's also written at least one political novel about Israel/Palestine, so he may also be considered an activist.

His musical programme might be a bit ecclesticist, playing Bechet's "Petite Fleur", medleys of Gershwin, Ellington, Weill and his own material, but also having some Shorter in his repertoire (Footprints). Definitely melodic, definitely not ECM-kind-of-beauty, but definitely no free jazz. Just good music.

ubu

Joost Buis - Astronotes and Guus Janssen - Sound-Lee! plays the music of Lee Konitz.

Both are absolutely wonderful discs!  Very playful, but with none of the ICP-esque "wackiness" that seems to characterize a lot of recent Dutch improv.  These are both right at the top of my list of best recent releases I have heard.

What are the labels?

Buis is on DATArecords, Janssen is on geestgronden.

Yeah the Buis is pretty wonderful--touches of Mingus & Sun Ra & even 1970s Miles Davis (check out Cor Fuhler's groovy electric organ!). One of my faves from this year.

The Sound-Lee! disc I have mixed feelings about--it's a bit longwinded & Janssen's pingpong approach to the keyboard bugs me (this is going on memory: I gave the disc to a friend), & there are some sloppy moments. The review I did at the time runs as follows:

Dutch pianist Guus Janssen, who has an affectionate but subversive approach to the jazz piano canon (Wilson, Tatum, Tristano and Monk are obvious reference-points), hasn't recorded all that frequently in recent years as an improvising pianist - he's also active as a "straight" composer - so it's a pleasure to receive this latest bulletin from him in his improviser's guise. "Plays the Music of Lee Konitz" is a live recording from Amsterdam's BIMhuis in 2001 in which Janssen's quartet mulls over half a dozen 1950s Konitz tunes, plus alto saxophonist Jorrit Dijkstra's "Near-Lee" (based on "One-Note Samba"); some of the readings stretch to as much as twelve or thirteen minutes. Lennie Tristano's aesthetic is given an intriguingly skewed revisiting: whereas his single-note lines took a winding, snake-charmer's course across the keyboard and his block chords fell across the keyboard like landslides, Janssen's approach recalls Monk and Mengelberg in its obstinate refusal to let go of a clutch of notes until he's dealt with it to his own satisfaction. There's little trace of up-and-down runs in Janssen's playing, which favours instead stride-piano styles that set the two hands talking back at each other; as a result there's a playful, bouncing-ball quality to his work. These mannerisms are sometimes pushed to the point of self-indulgence, and in a few spots Janssen's two-handed toying with rhythmic displacements risks losing the thread entirely (notably a confused passage on the saxophonist's re-entry in the middle of "Ablution" that might well have been edited out) - but I'd rather hear music whose risks don't always pay off than music that doesn't take any in the first place. Dijkstra's nonchalant phrasing and tone recalls Michael Moore as much as Konitz himself, but it's Eric Dolphy who often comes to mind here - especially his fondness for placing an absurdly sour note at the terminal point of a phrase. Indeed, one might argue that this disc inherits the legacy of Dolphy's "Last Date" (on which, lest we forget, Dolphy was partnered by Dutchmen) as much as it does the Cool School. Questions of musicial genealogy aside, it's a welcome addition to the catalogues of Janssen and Dijkstra, who demonstrate with flair that Konitz's work as a composer is in need of reassessment and exploration.

I like Dijkstra a lot--he's on that Bite the Gnatze disc which I excerpted on BFT14. I think he's resident in the States now.

Great review of the disc! To a degree I agree with the "longwinded" comment. The disc probably could have been edited down a bit and not suffered. On the other hand, Janssen's technique never annoyed me, so there you go.

Do you recommend any of his other albums or do you have the same opinion of his playing in general?

Both are absolutely wonderful discs!  Very playful, but with none of the ICP-esque "wackiness" that seems to characterize a lot of recent Dutch improv.  These are both right at the top of my list of best recent releases I have heard.

What are the labels?

Buis is on DATArecords, Janssen is on geestgronden.

DATA Records Website

I really gotta start exploring the Dutch scene - my knowledge is very superficial.

No, haven't heard any other of his albums--but I did see Janssen live in the early 1990s & was quite impressed & bemused at the same time. He opened for Elliott Sharp & Zeena Parkins, if memory served, & was far more interesting than the main act. A little like Simon Nabatov, if memory serves, in the delicate subversiveness of his piano-trio music.

Joost Buis - Astronotes

Picked this up last night at the Geri Allen/ Tom Bancroft concert in Edinburgh. Great sounding so far a little of Edward Vesala and a little Ra too. Very well recorded.

The concert incidently was outstanding , tune into BBC Radio 3 23.30 this Friday to hear (most of) it.

Friends, I am in possession of the awesome Holy Ghost set since yesterday. Haven't listened to anything yet (though I know quite some of the music from the inofficial Ayler tree).

I am very impressed by this box! First, it's much bigger than I'd have expected, and second it's beautifully assembled, with all the memorabilia and the hardcover boo full of beautiful photos.

Then totally unrelated: anyone around here has heard the Zeena Parkins-Ikue Mori CD? Read the cover story of the October Wire and I am very interested in this CD it seems, so any opinion appreciated!

ubu

donedaFromBetween.jpg

Doneda / Wright / Nakatani

From Between

(SoSeditions)

~~~~~~~

it gives me great pleasure to announce the first release

from the label 'soseditions' -substance over surface- an

offering of recent live and studio recordings by the improvising

trio of michel doneda, jack wright, and tatsuya nakatani.

the recording is accompanied by a poem by

renowned poet jerome rothenberg. the new album,

entitled 'from between,' is printed in an edition of 1000.

the cover and insert are letterpressed on

100 per cent recycled paper.

~~~~~~~

New label, first release. Looks interesting.

SoSEDITIONS

Reviews...

ONE FINAL NOTE review

Jon: I see that Erstwhile is listed as a distributor on this one. Any comments on this release?

In case anyone's interested:

Dear "TEN" pre-orderers,

I just received the shipment of "TEN" from Switzerland.  Your copies

will be going out to you today, Tuesday, October 12th via first class

post.  Won't be long now...

Thanks,

Ellery Eskelin

ELLeRY ESKELiN/MiCHELLE VAn NaTTA

RaMiChElLeRy/PrImE SoUrCe PrOdUcTiOnS

http://home.earthlink.net/~eskelin/

Anyone familiar with this one?

svenAkeMitNMUI.jpg

Johansson, Sven-Ake With NMUI: OBCD 10

(Label: Grob )

Sven-Åke Johansson's art has been well documented, and yet there are still discoveries to be found in his cosmos: among these is his work with large groups. In the middle of the 80's, Johannson released a single 'Sven-Åke Johansson with the NMUI in cooperation with the Berlin-based label, FMP. Hidden behind the cryptic abbreviation NMUI is North European Melody and Improvisation Orchestra [in German, Nordeuropäische Melodie- und Improvisationsorchester]. A group, which in addition to Johansson (on drums and accordion), was made up of Rüdiger Carl (tenor saxophone, accordion), Wolfgang Fuchs (diverse wooden reed instruments), the trombonists Radu Malfatti and Thomas Wiedermann, Hans Reichel on guitar, Norbert Eisbrenner on violin and Maarten Altena van Regteren on bass and cello. It goes without saying: an all-star ensemble. For nearly 20 years, this single remained the only evidence of Johansson's large ensemble work -- until this recording, which -- almost exactly 25 years later to the very day -- documents that concert in its full length.

Jon: I see that Erstwhile is listed as a distributor on this one. Any comments on this release?

I didn't listen to it actually, not really my taste, although I do like Doneda in some contexts. some of the upcoming releases on that label are more to my taste, a solo Sean Meehan record and an undetermined as of yet Tim Barnes project specifically.

it's funny that the DATA website leaves my man Cor off the personnel listing on the Buis release.

Anyone familiar with this one?

svenAkeMitNMUI.jpg

Johansson, Sven-Ake With NMUI: OBCD 10

(Label: Grob )

Sven-Åke Johansson's art has been well documented, and yet there are still discoveries to be found in his cosmos: among these is his work with large groups. In the middle of the 80's, Johannson released a single 'Sven-Åke Johansson with the NMUI in cooperation with the Berlin-based label, FMP. Hidden behind the cryptic abbreviation NMUI is North European Melody and Improvisation Orchestra [in German, Nordeuropäische Melodie- und Improvisationsorchester]. A group, which in addition to Johansson (on drums and accordion), was made up of Rüdiger Carl (tenor saxophone, accordion), Wolfgang Fuchs (diverse wooden reed instruments), the trombonists Radu Malfatti and Thomas Wiedermann, Hans Reichel on guitar, Norbert Eisbrenner on violin and Maarten Altena van Regteren on bass and cello. It goes without saying: an all-star ensemble. For nearly 20 years, this single remained the only evidence of Johansson's large ensemble work -- until this recording, which -- almost exactly 25 years later to the very day -- documents that concert in its full length.

looks good! those guys are the ones Stephan Wittwer was involved with in the seventies as well. Also Grob, of course. Is that a reissue?

looks good! those guys are the ones Stephan Wittwer was involved with in the seventies as well. Also Grob, of course. Is that a reissue?

Looks like most of the material is seeing its first release on this disk.

Then totally unrelated: anyone around here has heard the Zeena Parkins-Ikue Mori CD? Read the cover story of the October Wire and I am very interested in this CD it seems, so any opinion appreciated!

ubu -

Mego puts mp3s of all of their releases up on their website, so you can listen to this album here before you decide if you want to purchase the disc.

Mego has six of the tracks available in full mp3 versions. They are fantastic! I will be buying a "real" copy of this one asap! Mego albums also are now available as $9.99 mp3 downloads, but I prefer to have a real copy in hand. I might buy Pita's Get Down album as a download at some point. It was previously only available in vinyl.

g40048kusx4.jpg

Edited by John B

ubu

I don't have this one (neither do I have any MEGO releases - I will correct this soon), but I do have another Zeena Parkins CD and it's a greatr one:

Zeena Parkins, Nels Cline & Thurston Moore: "Live at Easthampton Town Hall" (JMZ Records). This is pretty intense wialing stuff, but very clever and with a surprising sense of structure and direction. And the sounds Parkins produces on electric harp just have to be heard!

Zeena Parkins, Nels Cline & Thurston Moore: "Live at Easthampton Town Hall" (JMZ Records). This is pretty intense wialing stuff, but very clever and with a surprising sense of structure and direction. And the sounds Parkins produces on electric harp just have to be heard!

I've been hearing good things about this disc for a while. I'll have to grab a copy soon.

in other news, according to Lois, the admin over at JC, Anthony Braxton has agreed to sign up and start an "Ask Anthony Braxton" thread.

Should be interesting, to say the least...