Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't think that Verve will issue domestic pressings, do you?

:rolleyes:

:lol:

:P

The series is caled Free America, isn't it? So I think one of the presidential candidates should make reissuing these titles a cornerstone of his election campaign - should really help with those ain't-got-THAT-swing voters.

I've just been listening to:

Conrad Bauer/Peter Kowald/Günter Sommer - Between Heaven and Earth - Intakt

f81047ylzsd.jpg

This is a great album, another one with the amazing Peter Kowald. The first track was the only one that didn't do it for me, with its - to my ears - weird combination of sounds.

On to Barry Guy/Marilyn Crispell/Paul Lytton - Ithaca, which got the :tdown from some posters here... ;)

On to Barry Guy/Marilyn Crispell/Paul Lytton - Ithaca, which got the :tdown from some posters here...  ;)

Let us know what you think of it!

My listening session was rudely interrupted, so I can't say too much about it. My first impression was not great, but not as bad as posted here earlier either.

Edited by J.A.W.

You don't think that Verve will issue domestic pressings, do you?

:rolleyes:

:lol:

:P

I'm expecting certain of my friends in Europe to buy me these and many others for x-mas. Tis the season...

I bought a copy of Brotzmann / Ellis / Eneidi / Krall: Live At Spruce Street Forum on Friday night at a show Lisle Ellis was playing in Vermont. This is a fantastic disc! Loud, noisy, aggresive, yet lyrical and beautiful in its own way. A glorious cacophany!

I know that Chaney has heard this and had some reservations about it. Have you had a chance to give this one another listen yet?

Oh-la-la - looks like Emarcy/Universal are reissuing some nice nice stuff in December, including AEoC (3 CDs!), Alan Shorter (!), Frank Wright, Braxton (2 CDs, one of them a double one!), Lacy, Waldron, Rudd, Bley, Shepp, Thornton.... whew!

What the fuck is going on at Universal?!?! Looks like a coup d'etat happened, and some irrisponsible free jazz guerrilla fighters seized the power!

Here is the list from amazon.de (skip the first vynil items in the list): http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/search-ha...2835388-2126158

OK, so the search link does not work. Then, you can find it yourself plugging emarcy is the search for, and then choosing Erscheinungsdatum: Neue zuerst in Ordnen nach list. These upcoming reissues will be on the top.

A related jazzcorner thread: http://jazzcornertalk.com/speakeasy/showthread.php?t=8011

dribble.gif

C'mon December!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

B0000AKOJU.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB00008S7JW.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00008PBVN.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB0002UNQ5O.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00008LPH0.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB00008NR52.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

Have any of you ever heard of an Australian group called the Necks? I've been listening to two of their albums recently, Sex and Aether, and find both of them to be beautiful. The band is all acoustic, with piano, bass and drums being the only instruments on each album. The music they make is very repetitive and trancelike, with wach track leaning in towards the hour-long range. Very minimalist and, in the case of Aether, which is a much more recent album, increasibly detached from the jazz idiom. I highly recommend both of these albums and am really looking forward to hearing more of their work.

f80862jl30e.jpg

c69246ae5r7.jpg

Based on that article the Brotz clarinet disc sounds very interesting, but I'm not sure it would be something I would need to hear more than once. The GUO and Per Henrik Wallin discs sounds the most interesting to me. UMS has released some fantastic discs but there have been so many discs that, while not "duds" are definitely SINOW or worse, that I am cautious about picking up all of their releases.

Yesterday heard the AALY Trio with Ken Vandermark "I Wonder If I Was Screaming (Crazy Wisdom).

AALY trio is:

Mats Gustafsson - reeds

Kjell Noderson - drums

Peter Janson - bass

And well, despite my prejeduce against Mr. Vandermark, I have to admit that this is an absolute kick-ass disc - more or less classical free jazz, but of very rythmic and groovy sort, and with excellent high-energy solos (mostly from Mr. Gustafsson, who is amazing here, doing all this insane stuff on tenor and alto, but not going over the top into just screaming (as he tends to on baritone, IMO) - on the contrary, the solos are very elaborate and with a lot ideas. And it is not at all just blowing - there is quite a bit of an emphasis on composition (one is by Fred Anderson, most of the rest - by Vandermark) - and the compositions are also skillfull and diverse (there is some sort of a sobre free-hazz ballad in the middle).

Good stuff - and does not sound derivative in any way.

Highly recommended.

AMG review

Yes, I suppose it wouldn't hurt if I restated that all of the AALY discs (save for the double trio with DKV) come recommended; and for what its worth, I remember enjoying "Live at Glenn Miller" and "Hidden in the Stomach" more than "I Wonder If I was Screaming," which I nevertheless dug. And once again, if anyone reading this has "Stumble" for sale, please let me know. Happy to see these guys' name (by which I mean the collective, AALY) come up again and see that you liked the disc D.D.

Edited by gnhrtg

Just got a packet of stuff from Mark Wastell, 2 Confronts & a trente oiseaux:

Akio Suzuki & David Toop, Breath Taking----ehhh, on a first listen I'm not sure I like this one much. Clive Bell gave a rapturous review to the original concert (qtd in the press release) but it sounds kind of twee heard cold on CD.

Sealed Knot (Beins/Davies/Wastell), Unwanted Object--short, quite pretty, & surprisingly unlike their Meniscus disc. It sounds, instead, extremely close to +minus (Günter, Wastell, Halliwell), whose First Meeting (released earlier this year) & new disc A Rainy Koran Verse I quite like. So if you're going to pop for one of these I'd recommend the +minuses....somehow the Sealed Knot disc isn't clicking for me (& I was already a little equivocal about Surface/Plane).

Here's what I said about First Meeting at the time:

+Minus

First Meeting

Trente Oiseaux TOCO41

Listening to First Meeting, a collaboration between electroacoustic composer Bernhard Günter and improvisers Mark Wastell and Graham Halliwell, is a gently immersive experience: put it on the headphones and it’s like you’ve put on diving gear, the sounds floating around in the darkness like deepsea jellyfish. Günter’s contribution is twofold. He plays cellotar, an instrument of his own devising whose strange, droning sound suggests both Eastern and Western traditions – as Wastell remarks, it’s “a cello, a violin, a sarangi, and a viola da gamba” rolled into one. In addition, Günter’s hushed electracoustic compositions form the basis of the two longest tracks, “(Plus) One” and “(Plus) Two,” like quiet fires the improvisers gather round and warm themselves at. Wastell’s “amplified textures” are less in evidence on this occasion than his use of Nepalese prayer bowls and a gong, their low tones swinging back and forth like censers between the speakers. Alto saxophonist Halliwell is the most elusive presence here: many of the disc’s high, edgeless, lingering tones and brief bumps, flickers and rumbles are presumably his handiwork, but it would take very keen ears indeed to unpick the fabric of music as finely blended as this is. First Meeting is at once beautiful and exploratory, restrained but never reserved; the mood is calm throughout but full of quiet anticipation. It's essential listening for followers of the current electroacoustic improv scene.

I finally had a chance to sit down with Brotz' Medicina and I don't find it any better or worse than Nefertiti, just different. Medicina is a studio disc and is more focused and direct than Nefertiti, but I also enjoy the wild abandon the group exhibits on the live disc. I highly recommend both, for different reasons.

Globe Unity Orchestra's Hamburg '74 is, well, different (the Choir of the NDR-Broadcast joins the band, and plays no minor role, as you might now) and didn't grab me on first listen, except from a standout solo by Rutherford during the second track. As it is different, however, I really would like to give it another couple of spins before passing on a (less) temporary judgment. I wasn't blown away is all I can say with confidence at this point.

Globe Unity Orchestra's Hamburg '74 is, well, different...

I don't know why, but the presence of a choir managed to at least temporarily make me hesitate in buying this one. That, and the fact that I'm broke.

CD LR 305 - Parker / Guy / Lytton / Schlippenbach / Lovens : 2 x 3 = 5 is sold out

I don't have any of those (all except Crispell were on THE LIST for a long time), but all look good. Gotta start the hunt again.

Did you ever get a chance to hear this one? I just did for the first time and am very impressed.

CD LR 305 - Parker / Guy / Lytton / Schlippenbach / Lovens : 2 x 3 = 5 is sold out

I don't have any of those (all except Crispell were on THE LIST for a long time), but all look good. Gotta start the hunt again.

Did you ever get a chance to hear this one? I just did for the first time and am very impressed.

Waiting for it to arrive (the Cecil Taylor poetry disc will arrive too!).

-------------------------------------------

Have been listening to Ivo Perelman / Jay Rosen "The Hammer" (Leo), and what a nice disc it is! Tenor /drums duo (mostly) in a good fire music trradition. Perelman might be one of the most intense tenor player out there, but he has such a great ear for little pretty melodies (when you don't expect them) that his playing never gets tireing ore one-dimentonal to me. Perelman also has this absolutely delightful altissimo sound - out of the top of my head I can think of only two other tenorists playing alrissimo so effortlessly and with such a beautiful sound -Ayler and Kidd Jordan. Rosen is a good drummer, probably a bit too "direct" for me - I would have preferred a bit of more subtlety and intricasies, but he is definitely more than adequate here.

Together with this Eskelin and The Brötz-man, Perelman might be my favorite modern tenor player. Gotta get more of his stuff.

AMG review

--------------------------------------------

Anybody knows Happy Apple? This is a trio: David King (dr) - Erik Fratzke (bass guitar) - Michael Lewis (ts, ss). I saw them live a week ago, and they were just fantastic. Original and very relevant modern music played by fantastic musicians. Everythinig was on outstanding level - compositions, interplay (they've been playing for quite some time together), energy, solos. They have a website with sound samples http://www.happyapplemusic.com/, so I won't go into all the reviwing thing - check out the music.

I would really encourage you to try to catch them live - I bet you'll be impressed.

---------------------------------------------

During the same concert, I saw David S. Ware quartet (with Shipp, William Parker and Guillermo Brown) and this was a pretty pathetic performance. During the whole 1 hour performance I kpet asking myself "what for?", as element of searching was totally missing from the music - I felt it ws not much different from what Wynton was (is? - I haven't heard any of his recent works..) doing.