Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Any opinions on Caspar Brotzmann?  (I've never heard him play.)

Do you like guitar, Tony? I mean GUITARRRRRRRRRRRR.

I do, as long as it's not too dissonant or rock 'n' roll-ish.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll stay out of this one :P^_^

never caught the right momentum eh? ;)

or is it the RRRRRRRRRRRR in GUITARRRRRRRRRRRR that scares you?

In this context it's the RRRRRRRRRRRR.

Re: Tsahar's Open Systems, I've just listened to this one again: Kowald is indeed amazing and Drake's not bad either, but, to put it mildly, I'm having increasing doubts about Tsahar. His playing doesn't hold my attention for more than a few minutes at the most. As for the vocalizing, I hate it - nothing new there, I'm afraid :wacko:

Edited by J.A.W.

I do, as long as it's not too dissonant or rock 'n' roll-ish.

I have one Caspar's CD: Caspar Brötzmann Massaker "Home" (Thirsty Ear, 1995) - I will listen to it tonight, and will report here.

This is a terrific record, but probably not something you would be interested in. This is guitar-drums-bass record like no other I've heard. Steady slow drum bit and repetative bass and very fuzzy (also repetative) low-tuned distorted guitar - quite intense and heavy. A bit of vocals (mainly hunning the same word, and a bit of shouting on one track - all sound good). Not that many solos as such -and when they are they are with a lot of (good) feedback. All sounds like it is just about to explode into noisy uncontrolled chaos, but somehow holds together. Excellent stuff, but form what I know about your tastes, gentlemen, only John B would probably enjoy it.

Speaking of Brotz, this one's excellent and out in only two days:

Peter Brötzmann - Medicina (Atavistic 149) Oct 19

-- 2003 trio studio recording of Peter Brotzmann (alto & tenor saxes, tarogato, a-cl), Peter Friis Nielsen (el-bass), Peeter Uuskyla (drums); recorded in Sweden

medicina_250.jpg

This is teh same lineup as on Live at Nefertiti, on Ayler, which I really enjoy. I'm glad to hear it is worth listening to. Have you heard the disc on Ayler and are you able to compare the two?

This is a terrific record, but probably not something you would be interested in. This is guitar-drums-bass record like no other I've heard. Steady slow drum bit and repetative bass and very fuzzy (also repetative) low-tuned distorted guitar - quite intense and heavy. A bit of vocals (mainly hunning the same word, and a bit of shouting on one track - all sound good). Not that many solos as such -and when they are they are with a lot of (good) feedback. All sounds like it is just about to explode into noisy uncontrolled chaos, but somehow holds together. Excellent stuff, but form what I know about your tastes, gentlemen, only John B would probably enjoy it.

I'll have to check this disc out. It sounds like you are describing something by Earth, Sunn )))) or the Melvins at their sludgiest.

Re Open Systems, looks like Open Systems is the band name and is / est the title of the album. I like Tsahar better on this one. I can't say why exactly as he seems to be doing pretty much the say thing he did on Shekhina. It's likely that less of him in this quartet setting works to his advantage, at least in winning me over. (The goal of all musicians, no doubt. Getting the :tup from me. :rolleyes: ) (And not that I've been 'won over' by Tsahar. Him in a trio setting is just too much.) Hamid 'Force of Nature' Drake might also have something to do with it as his is a much more propulsive style than Ibarra's; less space and opportunity for Tsahar to dawdle.

Pretty good disk. A bit SINOW, but the monster presence of Kowald exhumes it from that opinion category. I could see many folks on this board liking this one, what with its post-hardbop sound. (Is that what you'd call it?)

IMO, there is nothing SINOW about Open Systems. That disc is amazing, from start to finish.

Tsahar, on the other hand, I am hot and cold on. Sometimes I really enjoy his work (Open Syetems, Come Sunday) other times I am really underwhelmed by him. (Shekina is very SINOW, the duo with Hamid on Ayler is ok, but not great.)

I was able to stop off at a really nice library while visiting my parents this weekend and grabbed some Funny Rat-ish cds along the way. The first one I listened to wasMy Name is Albert Ayler, for the first time today. Prior to this, I thought I had heard tracks where the rest of the band is unable to cope with what Ayler is doing. This takes it to a whole other level. On the tracks where you can start to really hear Ayler being Ayler it sounds like the rest of the band was recorded seperately and had no idea what Albert was going to play.

I've still got Ayler live in Greenwich Village along with some discs by Jean-Michel Pilch, Ran Blake, William Parker, Abdullah Ibrahim, Gianluigi Trovesi, and Tord Gustavson to listen to. I'll post my thoughts as I make my way through them.

Chaney, I don't have that Kowald disc, so it would be difficult to be fond of it... still very thin on Kowald.

When you order that Siemens thing, you certainly get a discount buying two of them and sending one to my address, ok? Could use it... no ironing time this weekend, and not next month, either.

David, that Lake concert sounds like a great one, except for Allmond, whom I don't know anyway. Also as I missed both his and Tchicai's concerts in Zurich, I'd love to hear their recording!

Chaney, I don't have that Kowald disc, so it would be difficult to be fond of it... still very thin on Kowald.

Tony was referring to Assif Tsahar's Open Systems; Kowald was one of the band members.

Yup, sorry. My reply was a bit fast, had lots of reading to do here as I wasn't online since Saturday morning.

ubu

David: What's your early opinion of the Braxton 23 Standards set? Buy? Skip? (I know you've only listened to the first disk but I'm wondering if I should get it while I can at the attractive CD Universe pre-order price.)

Thanks Hans!

ON THE EDIT: I am such an idiot. I had it in my empty head that the link to the JC thread was a link to an AJJ thread. Reading the comments of the posters, I was surprised that an AAJ thread held such excellent thoughts on this release. I then noted that several JC posters were apparently members of the AAJ board and were sharing their valued thoughts. As I neared then end of the thread, I thought, NO WAY am I at the AAJ board! I then scrolled up and it all became clear. :blink:

Edited by Chaney

David: What's your early opinion of the Braxton 23 Standards set? Buy? Skip? (I know you've only listened to the first disk but I'm wondering if I should get it while I can at the attractive CD Universe pre-order price.)

Give me time till the end of the week to digest the set.

Thanks Hans!

ON THE EDIT: I am such an idiot. I had it in my empty head that the link to the JC thread was a link to an AJJ thread. Reading the comments of the posters, I was surprised that an AAJ thread held such excellent thoughts on this release. I then noted that several JC posters were apparently members of the AAJ board and were sharing their valued thoughts. As I neared then end of the thread, I thought, NO WAY am I at the AAJ board! I then scrolled up and it all became clear. :blink:

FYI: I don't visit AAJ anymore.

-- 2003 trio studio recording of Peter Brotzmann (alto & tenor saxes, tarogato, a-cl), Peter Friis Nielsen (el-bass), Peeter Uuskyla (drums); recorded in Sweden

medicina_250.jpg

This is teh same lineup as on Live at Nefertiti, on Ayler, which I really enjoy. I'm glad to hear it is worth listening to. Have you heard the disc on Ayler and are you able to compare the two?

This morning I listened to Noise of Wings (Slask) by the same trio, and preliminary verdict is that it is even better than Live at Nefertiti - and, surprisingly (given that they were recorded just one day apart), somewhat different. I'm going to give it a decisive 3d listen and will report.

In any case, I will probably go for Medicina - I am interested to see how this trio evolved over the four years.

David:  What's your early opinion of the Braxton 23 Standards set?  Buy?  Skip?  (I know you've only listened to the first disk but I'm wondering if I should get it while I can at the attractive CD Universe pre-order price.)

Give me time till the end of the week to digest the set.

Thanks!

According to Ken Vandermark's newsletter SONORE reed trio (Brötzmann, Gustafsson, Vandermark) will release a CD on Okka (called "No One Ever Works Alone", live from Cologne 2003) later this year.

Having learnt this, I finally listened to SONORE's concert that our friend ubu kindly provided me with - what a phenomenal music (thanks, ubu!). And very lyrical sometimes (pretty often, actually) and quite solemn at moments. I assume the music is to a great degree notated... otherwise I can't imagine this level of spontaneous interplay.

Looking forwar to the CD!

od12053b.jpg

http://www.okkadisk.com

Edited by Д.Д.

medicina_250.jpg

No, I haven't heard the one on Ayler! Hopefully, someone will have listened to both in a bit...