Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Have any of you ever heard of the Swedish label brax-tone? I was just reading about the group Läder, who sound very interesting. From the website

The label has all releases available for download on mp3, so I'll give them a listen tonight.

From the website:

... this day and age we have access to excellent media for cheap recording and distribution of music: CD-R and MP3. Brax-Tone utilizes both; we make a CD-R version of every record on a print-on-demand basis, but we also make all the music available free for download on our website....

Nice.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And recommending another major label, here is VHF Records - I don't have anything by them yet, but looks interesting. A lot of Japanese guys. Randomely clicked on a recent release: http://vhfrecords.com/catalog/84.htm - some atmospheric, slow, bluesy acoustic guitar stuff - not bad at all.

I've got a lot of releases on VHF by Vibracathedral Orchestra, Flying Saucer Attack, Sunroof, Pelt, and L (the disc you linked to.) Let me know if you want any recommendations

And recommending another major label, here is VHF Records - I don't have anything by them yet, but looks interesting. A lot of Japanese guys. Randomely clicked on a recent release: http://vhfrecords.com/catalog/84.htm - some atmospheric, slow, bluesy acoustic guitar stuff  - not bad at all.

I've got a lot of releases on VHF by Vibracathedral Orchestra, Flying Saucer Attack, Sunroof, Pelt, and L (the disc you linked to.) Let me know if you want any recommendations

I am letting you know, John.

Randomely clicked on a recent release: http://vhfrecords.com/catalog/84.htm - some atmospheric, slow, bluesy acoustic guitar stuff  - not bad at all.

I've got a lot of releases on VHF by Vibracathedral Orchestra, Flying Saucer Attack, Sunroof, Pelt, and L (the disc you linked to.)

That's some good stuff! I probably would have enjoyed it even more without chanting, but I like it nonetheless. Our own Mr. Abbey distributes Vhf, I assume... err, no he doesn't. OK, I'll buy from the guys directly, even though this shopping cart of theirs does not seem to work.

Edited by Д.Д.

The L disc is an oddity in their catalog. It was initially released in very limited quantities on a small Japanese label. VHF is only responsible for the reissue. It is a beautiful album, very quiet and meditative without being boring, or falling into "new-agey" traps.

Most of their releases heavily emphasize drones. Probably my favorite disc on VHF is the first Flying Saucer Attach album, which is either referred to as self-titled or "rural psychedelia," depending upon where you look. FSA is, for the most part, one guy, who records at home. Acoustic guitar mixed with washes of feedback and distorted electric guitar, vocals (when they exist) buried pretty far back in the mix. While I enjoy all FSA albums the later ones and the live discs are the least essential.

Vibracathedral Orchestra is a collective of British musicians. Their releases are pretty ragged, seeming to be edited with garden shears, as one review put it. The music is built around long slowly evolving improvisations, heavily influenced by raga and drone. I love their work. Versatile Arab Chord Chart would be the disc to start with.

Sunroof I have just started to explore. Very drone based. Cloudz is a great disc.

I have two Pelt albums I bought used and they are more difficult to pun down. Imagine a mix between traditional acoustic folk instruments (banjo, lap steel guitar) and washes of fuzzed-out bliss, coalescing into long ragas and modal trance explorations with a dash of tape-loop experimentation and you would be close.

VHF is available on emusic, so you could explore most of these discs that way, if you so chose.

Randomely clicked on a recent release: http://vhfrecords.com/catalog/84.htm - some atmospheric, slow, bluesy acoustic guitar stuff  - not bad at all.

I've got a lot of releases on VHF by Vibracathedral Orchestra, Flying Saucer Attack, Sunroof, Pelt, and L (the disc you linked to.)

That's some good stuff! I probably would have enjoyed even more without chanting, but I like it nonetheless. Our own Mr. Abbey distributed VHF, I assume... err, no he does not. OK, I'll buy from the guys directly, even though this shopping cart of theirs does not seem to work.

I placed an order from them not too long ago without a problem. I just checked...it seems to be working for me now.

for anyone interested in exploring more Sun Ra, Evidence Records is currently having a sale. Cds for $12 per disc, free shipping (within the U.S.) on orders over $24.

I don't know if they discount shipping internationally.

They don't - it's $6 per package plus $2 per disc. Still not too bad, given that $ is getting cheaper and cheaper.

Not going to buy more Sun Ra till I digest 15 or so CDs of his that I have (I remmeber some of them being pretty bad), but will listen to my favorite (so far) Heliocentric Worlds Vol. I (ESP) this weekend.

Not going to buy more Sun Ra till I digest 15 or so CDs of his that I have (I remmeber some of them being pretty bad), but will listen to my favorite (so far) Heliocentric Worlds Vol. I (ESP) this weekend.

which ones do you consider to be pretty bad? I'm really just starting to explore his work and am curious which ones I should avoid at first.

which ones do you consider to be pretty bad? I'm really just starting to explore his work and am curious which ones I should avoid at first.

John, I will have to go through my Sun Ra collection - I haven't listened to anything by him for quite some time (except for outstanding solo recital on Leo (btw, I remeber liking his other solo disc on IAI much less - so here you go, an anti-recommendation) and "Heliocentric Worlds I" .

we don't distribute VHF because they're pretty well distributed in the US, and neither Chris nor I is an especially big fan of the label, although I used to be, and have heard quite a bit of what they've released. I'd recommend Skullflower-This Is..., Pelt-Empty Bell Ringing In The Sky, and L-Holy Letters.

with Sun Ra, I prefer the 1965-1975 period (approximate dates off the top of my head), his farthest out. I'm not a fan of the later Leo releases that I've heard. the Evidence ones are all at least solid, you really can't go too wrong with any of them, except maybe The Singles, which I never liked.

Upon request of D.D., I typed up The Wire’s review of the recent 4CD Braxton box, as well as Leo Feigin’s reply. The review also covers Andrew Cyrille/Anthony Braxton’s “Duo Palindrome” discs on Intakt, and the hatOLOGY reissue of Max Roach/Anthony Braxton, “One in Two/Two in One”. I did not type up those parts (they follow what I did type up), as Feigin did only write about his own Braxton release.

The Wire 248, October 2004, p. 53/55

Anthony Braxton

23 Standards (Quartet)

Leo 4XCD

BY ANDY HAMILTON

Anthony Braxton’s quartets, whether playing standards or not, have always featured a redoubtable rhythm section often featuring players he’s discovered. On the very substantive 23 Standards, Kevin O’Neil on guitar, Andy Eulau on bass and Kevin Norton on drums make a wonderful team, as they did on the excellent Braxton CD of Andrew Hill compositions from 2000. Some might argue that if they all played like Braxton – the bassist and drummer unable to sustain a groove, the guitarist all at sea with the chords – the result would be a jazz version of Portsmouth Sinfonia’s cheery incompetence. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the Sinfonia, but despite some serious intent the joke wears off in time, and anyway, Braxton is meant to respect tradition.

Still, there’s unquestionably a bizarre dissonance between the approach of Braxton and his cohorts. The leader is virtuosic in playing just about every reed instrument from sopranino sax to contrabass clarinet, yet he nonetheless seems to fumble the theme of every standard on these four discs. Maybe he intends what he plays, but the results don’t come across like Steve Lacy’s thoughtful reworkings of a Monk line, for instance. Maybe he just doesn’t hear the mistakes, just as he doesn’t seem to notice the clash of styles with the other players. You get the same sense when Albert Ayler plays tunes, but unlike Ayler, Braxton attempts pieces by the likes of Tristano and Monk, not to mention the standards repertoire, all of which need very precise playing.

There might even be more inaccuracies and intonational idiosyncrasies than on previous standards outing, but Braxton solos unmistakably, spilling out ungainly clumps of notes as if gripped by muscular spasm. “Blue in Green” from Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue and two Brubeck pieces from Time Out and Time Further Out mix with Wayne Shorter’s “Ju-Ju”, Herbie Hancock’s “Dolphin Dance” and Coltrane’s “Giant Steps” and “Countdown”. Joe Henderson’s “Recorda Me” has the most incongruous theme statement on sopranino sax, while the 17 minute “Crazy Rhythm” is greatly enjoyable. Four hours 33 minutes of music on four CDs is a big statement, even if it’s not clear exactly what of.

(...)

Now here comes Mr. Feigin’s reply:

The Wire 249, November 2004, p. 6

Braxton hick

Thank you for running Andy Hamilton’s review of the Anthony Braxton four CD set 23 Standards (Quartet) (Soundcheck, The Wire 248). Although this review is very bad, I am convinced such reviews are absolutely necessary, for they are a true indication that the album under review is really special. Mediocre or ordinary recordings never create controversy. Where would Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor, Charles Mingus, Art Ensemble of Chicago or Ganelin Trio be without the controversy they created with their music? When an artist comes up with something really new or radical there are always conventionally minded reviewers who don’t understand the new aesthetic. As Paul Bley once said in one of his interviews, how do you know that something new has arrived? You know because you don’t like it.

They say that a good review helps to sell some CDs. As much as I would love to sell some copies of 23 Standards, I would not swap Hamilton’s review for any money. It’s not that Hamilton doesn’t understand the aesthetics of new music in general and Braxton’s in particular, he goes much further. He states that Braxton “fumbles the theme of every standard on these four discs... Maybe he just doesn’t hear the mistakes, just as he doesn’t seem to notice the clash of styles with the other players”. This is really hilarious. He, Andy Hamilton, hears Braxton’s mistakes, while Braxton doesn’t hear that he makes mistakes. Hamilton has the audacity to advise Braxton that the standard repertoire needs very precise playing. No deviation is tolerated. Apparently, Braxton solos “unmistakenly [sic!], spilling out ungainly clumps of notes as if gripped by muscular spasm”.

I am very fortunate to have been reading this review while alone in the house. I was roaring with laughter and my relatives and children might have thought that something serious had happened to their father. Hamilton created a real masterpiece, and I cannot find words to express my gratitude to The Wire for giving me, and I am sure many of Braxton’s followers, a chance to have a good laugh. In the near future I shall be releasing more recordings by Anthony Braxton, who is, in the minds of many, not only a great musician, but one of the greatest visionaries of our time. I would be delighted if The Wire commissions Andy Hamilton to review them.

Leo Feigin, Leo Records via email

ubu (back from fighting for God and - what to call it? It's not God's own... - country)

Thanks for posting this, ubu.

That's very much a Leo-style letter - opinionated and non-compromising.

As for me, - well I agree with most of the Hamislton's review.

Welcome!

I can't give any insight as to my own opinion, as I don't have the Standards set. However, that statement about "standard repertoire" needing "very precise playing" I do find rather strange.

Leo's letter, well... The point(s) he makes in his second paragraph don't work, but it's a funny read, of course!

ubu

And here's what I thought of FME,

FME - Well probably a rehash of what I've already said here and there but this was a set that had great as well as dull moments, in fact the one show with the largest variance, I would say, in terms of how much I enjoyed the music during certain bits of the concert. First of all, I'll take all the blame and say I don't hear anything special in McBride's bass playing - he's there and fills in the low-end yes. Well one might euphemistically say he's an ensemble player, I guess he is and playing in the right band, FME, he is then. This performance might not have been the best on which to judge his merits, though, as we were informed that his bass had been damaged and that he would be playing Berthling's bass.

Someone please correct me if I'm not remembering this right but I read somewhere Ken talking about how most of his prior bands/projects were extending the tradition and seeing how established improvisational and jazz concepts would sound in our day while with his new projects, again I believe he listed FME among them, he was really trying out different things - investigating a number of his interests and not necessarily tied to what came before. Well if so, that's not what I heard in this performance (nor in the first disc) - surely this does not take anything from the music itself but if you hear the music you're left wondering about where the (posited) novely might lie.

As for the music, I remember swinging and tapping my feet, yes both, when they would kick start a groove and Vandermark would consistently build up the energy in his solo with Paal demolishing the kit, and really sounding like a drummer plus a percussionist, only to wonder about the timing of the next cue to a softer, slower, textural section - I have to give them credit though they kept me guessing and I was fooled more than not. Again, since I'm not mad about McBride's playing and since I think it also doesn't really fit the what I think is the more natural, comfortable, way for Vandermark to play the non-pulse/textural sections grew boring really quickly. Happily for me they made up a shorter part of the concert, another function they serve is to help both Ken and the audience catch their breath, helps you know. A borderline fine concert, then, but far from a highlight for me.

CD LR 305 - Parker / Guy / Lytton / Schlippenbach / Lovens : 2 x 3 = 5 is sold out

I don't have any of those (all except Crispell were on THE LIST for a long time), but all look good. Gotta start the hunt again.

Did you ever get a chance to hear this one? I just did for the first time and am very impressed.

Just received this CD from CD Connection. Looks like they have more in stock (and don't forget this Cecil poetry disc as well).

Just ordered it there, thanks! I added the new Andrew Hill Conn, in order to evade copy protection. Also they offer them for a rather nice price.

ubu

I just received the two new Erstwhile discs today:

Keith Rowe / Burkhard Beins - ErstLive 001

Rowe / Nakamura / Lehn / Schmickler - ErstLive 002

and both are fantastic. Very highly recommended. The Rowe / Beins disc brought a smile to my face a few times. Rowe has quite a sense of humor, and it really shines through his wash of sound on this release.