Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

nice to see them continuing to keep a small toe in electroacoustic waters with Efzeg, presumably a new record and not a reissue of an older one.

I thought you'd have the answer to this lingering question I had.

do you mean whether that's a new record or a reissue? I could find out, I'll ask Martin Siewert next time I write to him.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice to see them continuing to keep a small toe in electroacoustic waters with Efzeg, presumably a new record and not a reissue of an older one.

I thought you'd have the answer to this lingering question I had.

do you mean whether that's a new record or a reissue? I could find out, I'll ask Martin Siewert next time I write to him.

Right. I'll probably get it either way, but just wondering.

Most of these new Hats look interesting. The only one I am pretty sure I will skip is the Liebman - Eskelin one - cannot stand Liebman.

Tenney, Wolpe and Ives are very intriguing, and a fragment Shepp - Roach I've heard long-long time ago (was one of the first "free" musics I was exposed to), and I rememebr it being very good (and quite intense).

Just before leaving for vacations got a Leo press release. Don't have it with me now, so recalling from memory:

Crispell Zurich concert is being reissued (Leo calls it one of the best records in his catalog),

new release of Ullmann's clarinet trio,

new release of Braxton with Vladimir Tarasov (of Ganelin trio) and some Hungarian pianist - recorded live playing the pianist's music,

couple more releases, but I forgot what...

Really intrigued by Braxton-Tarasov combination.

Anybody knows Crispell Zurich concert (so far I haven't heard a single Crispell disc that would keep me interested, but if Leo says this is one of his label's best...)?

Anybody knows Crispell Zurich concert (so far I haven't heard a single Crispell disc that would keep me interested, but if Leo says this is one of his label's best...)?

... I won't believe it.

Aniway there's some good Crispell under her name "For Coltrane" by exemple who is... on Leo I think.

(I'm taping that on an alien computer during my (sweet) exil in south of Spain to a friend place where the only (Jazz) music he has to offer is hard bop from only sax/ trumpet players. But it's rather fun to listen to this stuff again - Coltrane/ Davis/ Rollins/ Gordon/ Montrose/ Brown (Clifford) etc. on the greatest HiFi equipement I've ever encounter - The most expensive Jamo Speakers ever built push by two mono hybrid amplifier that I never heard about (Lam or something like that). The guy has five differents CD and SACD players. And of course he has a special room to listen to the music who is design like a recording studio. So far let say that the sound that whole thing produced is quoite amazing.)

Gokhan, the Efzeg Hat Art release will be "new material we recorded in summer 2003 at the SWR/SWF broadcasting studio in Baden-Baden/Germany".

I'll have to check that one out when it is released. I've reallly enjoyed all of Efzeg's discs (Wurm, Grain and Boogie) so far. Each of them is worth exploring for fans of this music.

Just before leaving for vacations got a Leo press release. Don't have it with me now, so recalling from memory:

Crispell Zurich concert is being reissued (Leo calls it one of the best records in his catalog),

new release of Braxton with Vladimir Tarasov (of Ganelin trio) and some Hungarian pianist - recorded live playing the pianist's music,

Haven't heard that one by Crispell--is that the early one with Paul Motian? I mean before ECM got hold of her.

I don't know what of hers you've heard but basically anything up to the mid-1990s I've heard has been excellent. The trios on Music & Arts with Guy or Workman & Hemingway & the quartet Santuerio on Leo are very fine, for instance. I've never gotten a huge amount out of Gaia, despite Cook/Morton's enthusiasm, & Live at Yoshi's is impressive but unsatisfying I find (in part because of the soupy Bill Evans stuff on there--& she doesn't even get "Turn Out the Stars" right, accidentally chopping off the last 4 bars of every chorus). I kind of turned off circa the shift to ECM & Intakt, though many people I know love the stuff. (I expect to see the soporific new one with Helias & Motian clean up on the yearend top-tens.....)

My big Xmas present this year was the Thomas Chapin box set Alive--slowly working through it. A remarkable set: get it while you can (it's on the defunct Knitting Factory label).

Gokhan, the Efzeg Hat Art release will be "new material we recorded in summer 2003 at the SWR/SWF broadcasting studio in Baden-Baden/Germany".

I'll have to check that one out when it is released. I've reallly enjoyed all of Efzeg's discs (Wurm, Grain and Boogie) so far. Each of them is worth exploring for fans of this music.

Efzeg fans also might want to check out the new Burkhard Stangl-Venusmond release, parts III-V of his opera. part IV is a 26 minute piece by Efzeg, from June 2002 (no vocals). it's a nice CD, I heard it for the first time tonight...

Edited by jon abbey

OK, got back home - so here are some more details from the Leo press release.

The other two new releases are:

* Solo Pandelis Karayorgis. I will be picking this up for sure - was sufficiently intrigued by (if not always enjoyed) previous Karayorgis Leo CDs (a couple with Mat Maneri and in trio with bass-drums), and curious to see what the man will come up with in solo setting. Writing this, I realise that the other young pianist from Leo roster who I would be even more curious to hear is John Bickerton - looks like he hasn't released anything sinse 2000.

* New (5th one!) by Collective 4tet, adored by everybody here. I really enjoyed their previous works (have all of them). I find the sound and ideas of the band unique (particularly in the use of drums as the "leading" instrument and the other ones as some sort of a rhythm section), and, moreover, I enjoy (!) Willaim Parker's playing in this band - by far the most creative and thoughtful playing I've heard from him (the only other record where I actually like Parker's playing is an early trio recording of Wayne Horwitz with Parker and Butch Morris on Black Saint - "Some Order, Long Understood" - a beautiful one).

Tony is the main distirbutor of Collective 4tet discs in the US, so direct the enquiries to him.

The Hungarian guy's name (the one who recorded with (or, to be exact - with whom recorded) Braxton and Tarasov is Gyorgy Szabados. Never heard (of) him - looking forward.

Nate, indeed Crispell's "Live in Zurich" was recorded in '89 (one of her first reecordings?) with Workman and Motian. I might go for it as well.

As for the upcoming projects, looks like there is no plan to release the recordings of the Ganelin Trio London perfomances (although they will be aired by BBC), and a live double CD of Mahall-Takase duo (not somethig I am getting very excited about).

------------------------

Meanwhile, with winter vacation and all that, I've been mostly listening to (and thoroughly enjoying) barocco music.

Crispell Trio's "Live in Zurich" is one of her earlier recordings as she has a number of other releases recorded from 1982 onwards. There might be even earlier recordings, though I'm unaware of them.

edit: I might just end up picking the Collective 4tet based on your remarks D.D., though I'd prefer to wait some impressions of the music, from yourself and others.

Edited by gnhrtg

I have finally had time to sit down and listen to the newest disc from Triage, American Mythology.  It is very strong.  As good, if not better than, 20 Minute Cliff.

I ordered one of Triage's CDs (don't rtemember which one) from Chuck Nessa. Looking forward to hearing it.

--------------------------------------

Received the latest FMP (a/l/l, to be exact) release of the Schlippenbach Trio: "Compression" - recorded live in 2002. Nothing particularly revelatory if you are familiar with this trio (which is Schlippenbach - Evan Parker - Paul Lovens). I haven't heard all of the trio's records (there are at least 5-6 of them), but I clearly remember Physics from 10 years ago following the same formula but being much more engaging than this new one.

fmpcd050.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

New Gianni Gebbia, set for a January 2005 release on the Italian label Wallace Records.

55.jpg

Gianni Gebbia, Lukas Ligeti, Massimo Pupillo

The Williamsburg Sonatas

wallace55, 8tracks, 41'17" released 01/05, CD

mp3 from this album : "Pay for Soup. Build a Fort. Set That on Fire [to J.-M. Basquiat]" 1823 KB

Sound sample sounds pretty dangerous.

New Gianni Gebbia, set for a January 2005 release on the Italian label Wallace Records.

55.jpg

Gianni Gebbia, Lukas Ligeti, Massimo Pupillo

The Williamsburg Sonatas

wallace55, 8tracks, 41'17" released 01/05, CD

mp3 from this album : "Pay for Soup. Build a Fort. Set That on Fire [to J.-M. Basquiat]" 1823 KB

Sound sample sounds pretty dangerous.

Great!

For the lazy among us, here is the dirrct link to the MP3: http://www.mirkospino.it/mp3/gebbialigetip...tthatonfire.mp3

Can't listen to it now - have some death metal (to be exact, Death's "Human") blasting all over the apartment. Will do it later.

Was listening to an excellent disc called Lo (Leo lab):

http://www.leorec.com/?m=select&id=LeoLab_030;

AMG review,

and decided to check the pianbist's (Uwe Oberg) discography, and this one looks really interesting: Uwe Oberg / Xu Feng Xia - "Looking".

Nurnichtnur lable website.

Edited by Д.Д.