Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

So, for my first batch of three from Emanem, I've already decided on the following:

Frode Gjerstad/John Stevens/Derek Bailey - "Hello Goodbye" (1992)

Steve Lacy - Weal & Woe (1972-3)

Now, please help me tie-brake between,

Riley/Guy/Oxley - Synopsis (1973)

Riley/Guy/Oxley - Overground (1974-5)

Thanks.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, for my first batch of three from Emanem, I've already decided on the following:

Frode Gjerstad/John Stevens/Derek Bailey - "Hello Goodbye" (1992)

Steve Lacy - Weal & Woe (1972-3)

Now, please help me tie-brake between,

Riley/Guy/Oxley - Synopsis (1973)

Riley/Guy/Oxley - Overground (1974-5)

Thanks.

Do it the other way around.

Take the two RILEY/ GUY/ OXLEY and live STEVE LACY or GJERSTAD (personnal choice, I'll take the LACY).

I receive in the mail yesterday a double CD of JOËLLE LÉANDRE.

I think this one will fall right in the alley of some of you as it's a solo one recorded live in a concert in Belgium.

More Precisely at two concerts of the LOCUS LOPPEM event in january 29 et 30 of this year (I was at the first gig).

JOËLLE LÉANDRE: CONCERTO GROSSO LIVE AT GASTHOF HEIDELBERG LOPPEM JAZZ'HALO TS 021/022.

To get to JAZZ'HALO JUST google the name. You find information also at www.kunsthallelophem.be.

The record is really interesting with lot of bowing (I could do without her "singing", though) and it's magnificienly recorded (what's an important thing for a bass solo to these ears). It's also a very personnal effort from JL.

Edited by P.L.M

Just received a press reslease from Leo. Three new rleases:

1. Carlo Actis Dato duo with bassist Baldo Martinez.

2. Roman Lopez trio with Joelle Leander and Sophia Domancich.

3. Tri O & Sainkho. This one I am most excioted about. Sainkho is a stunning new music vocalist, and Tri O is an outatanding Russian trio of Letov-Parfenov-Alexandrov (saxophones - trumpet - bassoon, respectively).

And a reissue of Sainkho's "Letters" (an excellent disc) which has been unavialable for some time.

Tri O is an outatanding Russian trio of Letov-Parfenov-Alexandrov (saxophones - trumpet - bassoon, respectively).

In fact, their lineup used to change a few times, Shilkloper played in Tri-O too, as well as Kirichenko. THere was even one concert withou Letov, even though it is his group. :) Is this recording on Leo from the recent concerts with Sainkho, or from the archives?

Edited by sashabur

I think this one will fall right in the alley of some of you as it's a solo one recorded live in a concert in Belgium.

More Precisely at two concerts of the LOCUS LOPPEM event in january 29 et 30 of this year (I was at the first gig).

JOËLLE LÉANDRE: CONCERTO GROSSO LIVE AT GASTHOF HEIDELBERG LOPPEM JAZZ'HALO TS 021/022.

To get to JAZZ'HALO JUST google the name. You find information also at www.kunsthallelophem.be.

The record is really interesting with lot of bowing (I could do without her "singing", though) and it's magnificienly recorded (what's an important thing for a bass solo to these ears). It's also a very personnal effort from JL.

PLM - I am really interested in this, especially after hearing about how well it was recorded, so when you have more to say on the music, please share them here (or PM me if you prefer).

Sasha - The Trio & Sainkho disc is a 20th anniversary disc, Leo says the first disc after a considerable interval so it was recorded very recently, I guess.

Edited by gnhrtg

That's good news. I really liked Leandre's other solo CD on Red Toucan - I think it is called No comment.

Jazzhalo label releases are distributed by indiejazz.com at very reasonable prices. If they don't have this specific release, ask them - they will get it for you.

Edited by Д.Д.

Tri O is an outatanding Russian trio of Letov-Parfenov-Alexandrov (saxophones - trumpet - bassoon, respectively).

In fact, their lineup used to change a few times, Shilkloper played in Tri-O too, as well as Kirichenko. THere was even one concert withou Letov, even though it is his group. :) Is this recording on Leo from the recent concerts with Sainkho, or from the archives?

:excl: Step aside kids, two Russians are discussing Russian improv music. :excl:

It is great that Letov has been able to keep the band fairly active for 20 years. I think this is the best version of Tri O. Parfenov adds great lyricism (well, it is eadier to be lyrical on trumpet than on tuba, which Kirichenko played in earlier incarnation of Tri O) and more variety. In general I am not a big fan of Shilkloper, who, IMO, plays more or less the same solo (on French horn, for uninitiated) over and over again, regardless of the setting. He is good though, when guided by a strong leader. Kirichenko, with his tuba, I could never appreciate - and his singing is entertaining only to an extent.

From what I understand, this is a new recording!

The Trio & Sainkho disc is a 20th anniversary disc, Leo says the first disc after a considerable interval so it was recorded very recently, I guess.

If so, than it's from the last year, for sure.

As far as Tri-O, one their album I like wery much is "Have Lenin Ever Been in Lvov?", a concert with Yuri Yaremchuk as a guest. Recorded in 1991 (oops, it's 1997) and issued on Letov's own CDR label Pentagramma: http://www.letov.ru/pentagramma/LENIN.htm

Edited by sashabur

As far as Tri-O, one their album I like wery much is "Have Lenin Ever Been in Lvov?", a concert with Yuri Yaremchuk as a guest. Recorded in 1991 (oops, it's 1997) and issued on Letov's own CDR label Pentagramma: http://www.letov.ru/pentagramma/LENIN.htm

My favorite one as well! - together with "Radioactivity".

AFAIK, the TriO CD with Sainkho is from 1998.

There are more recordings by TriO on Sergey Letov's own CDR label Pentagramma.

Martin, you don't cease to impress me with your knowledge of Russian improv music.

PS. Personally I'd like to hear more of Alexandrov, seems like he only comes out for occasional one-off recordings (I have one on FMR, with Brennan).

Alexandrov made Munich his home some years back, does anybody know if he is still living there? Don't know if he has any recordings out at all past 2000...

Д.Д., I guess you purchased your Pentagramma CDRs from Sergey Letov directly? Apart from Improjazz (which have/had a limited stock of some Pentagramma titles) I do not know of any European distributor for the label...

Д.Д., I guess you purchased your Pentagramma CDRs from Sergey Letov directly? Apart from Improjazz (which have/had a limited stock of some Pentagramma titles) I do not know of any European distributor for the label...

I could never catch Letov live when I am in Russia, so I bought the CDs from one little CD store in Moscow, and through Internet at HOR records (took them 2 months to put the order together; I doubt they can arrange for a reliable shipping outside of Russia). Let me know what you want, and I will try to get it for you (but it will take v e r y l o n g).

Edited by Д.Д.

PS. Personally I'd like to hear more of Alexandrov, seems like he only comes out for occasional one-off recordings (I have one on FMR, with Brennan).

What is it called? Is it good?

Well, it's lyrical. It's good, but doesn't represent Alexandrov's thing as I know it from hearing him live. The CD is called Brink Man Ship, FMR 53: http://www.brennan.ch/discography/d_nisajo.htm

Well, it's lyrical. It's good, but doesn't represent Alexandrov's thing as I know it from hearing him live. The CD is called Brink Man Ship, FMR 53: http://www.brennan.ch/discography/d_nisajo.htm

Somehow I though you were tallking of Patrick Brennan (http://www.brickhaus.com/deepdish/home.html).

But this is John Wolf Brennan, who I don't really like - exactly for excessive, even cheesy lyricism.

Edited by Д.Д.

Somehow I though you were tallking of Patrick Brennan (http://www.brickhaus.com/deepdish/home.html).

But this is John Wolf Brennan, who I don't really like - exactly for excessive, even cheesy lyricism.

To bring things back into perspective: living in Switzerland you ought to like cheesy stuff! No matter if the Russian mafia took over "funny rat"! :P

Welcome, sahsa!

Btw: someone recently set me up with a burn of Sainkho's "Letters", though a Polish (or Russian?) edition, not the Leo disc. Haven't come around listening to it yet, though.

Btw: someone recently set me up with a burn of Sainkho's "Letters", though a Polish (or Russian?) edition, not the Leo disc. Haven't come around listening to it yet, though.

Edition is too grand of a word - these are pirated copies, of course. Ehen you get to it, let us know what you think.

Ubu, you are actually more versed in Tri O music than you might think - you have this Secret Doctrine disc by Letov / Parfenov duo, which is 2/3 of Tri O...

Edition is too grand of a word - these are pirated copies, of course. Ehen you get to it, let us know what you think.

Ubu, you are actually more versed in Tri O music than you might think - you have this Secret Doctrine disc by Letov / Parfenov duo, which is 2/3 of Tri O...

I do realize both things (didn't want to offend the board's Russian mafia by calling it anything less than an "edition", and am aware of the Letov thing).

That Letov/Parfenov is great!

I also have "Italian Love Affair" on Leo - another that's still on the pile that needs to be listened...

Also got this one:

jz3645.jpg

And also need to listen...

Let me know what you want, and I will try to get it for you (but it will take v  e  r  y      l  o  n  g).

Thanks a lot for your kind offer, Д.Д. When/if I am going to add Pentagramma titles to my collection, I will get back to you...

For the time being, I am a bit reluctant as to buying Pentagramma CDRs. I already own two of them: the Letov/Smith CDR, which has scratching noises from beginning to end, and the Letov/Ponomareva CDR. My original copy of that one stopped in the midst of the last track, and Improjazz (where I purchased the item) did not have a replacement copy in stock. I then wrote to Sergey Letov who sent me an OK copy for free (the one and only time I got a CD directly from Moscow!).

Welcome, sahsa!

thanks, king ubu :)

As far as this Russian "edition", it's a CDR replica of Leo, as far as I remember.

I heard another Paul Dunmall disc today that I would definitely recommend: Great Divide. It is credited to the Paul Dunmall Octet, but it features larger groups on several tracks.

e75489x72ox.jpg

Players on this disc include Keith Tippett, Paul Rogers, Tony Levin, Paul Rutherford, John Adams, Evan Parker and Elton Dean, among others.

Somewhat remniscent of the sound of the Broetzmann Tentet, but, to my ears, more interesting than a lot of the Tentet's output. Only one listen, so far, but I don't hesitate to recommend it to all of the Dunmall fans here.

Edited by John B