Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I bought these cds today.

What do you guys think of some of these albums?

Geoff,

I've heard two of those. The ONJQ is really very good. The same group has recorded Dolphy's entireOut to Lunch album, which I am really looking forward to hearing. They cover "Hat and Beard" on the disc you bought. Organic Resonance is the other disc in that group I have heard. I have only heard it once, so I am not as familiar with it, but I really enjoyed it on first listen.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just noticed that Atavistic is reissuing Last Exit's Live in Koln album this month. If you don't already own this one I highly recommend checking it out. Last Exit was Peter Brötzmann, Sonny Sharrock, Ronald Shannon Jackson and Bill Laswell. They created some very very heavy noise. In my opinion this was a great group for Brötzmann, and not soemthing you'll likely ever hear from him again.

Is anyone here familiar with Giorgio Gaslini? He has a new solo piano album coming out on Soul Note called Gaslini Plays Sun Ra.

His two other solo piano albums, Gaslini Plays Monk and Ayler's Wings, both sound very interesting, as well.

Is anyone here familiar with Giorgio Gaslini?  He has a new solo piano album coming out on Soul Note called Gaslini Plays Sun Ra.

His two other solo piano albums, Gaslini Plays Monk and Ayler's Wings, both sound very interesting, as well.

I have both the Ayler and the Monk CDs, but it's been some time since I listened. I remember them as being pretty good!

Btw: Gaslini was part of the Instabile pool for a time, too. He can be heard (as pianist and composer) on the ECM disc, "Skies of Europe."

My first encounter with him was in Michelangelo Antonioni's terrific film "La notte", where he and his then (1960) quartet appear on screen.

Gaslini has been on the experimental side of the European jazz scene since he started making records back in 1948!

One of Gaslini's best albums is 'Nuovi Sentimenti' (New Feelings) suite he recorded in 1966. Musicians taking part in the sessions were Don Cherry, Enrico Rava, Steve Lacy, Gianni Bedori, Gato Barbieri, JF Jenny-Clark, Ken Carter, Franco Tonani and Al (sic!) Romano!

An album that should be reissued!

Guest Chaney

An upcoming release from Gino Robair on the Creative Sources Recordings label:

Sputter

Birgit Ulher - trumpet (Anyone familiar with Ms. Ulher?)

Gino Robair - electronics, percussion

cs042.jpg

For those interested, Gino is taking pre-orders for "Sputter," which should be available at the end of July. Contact Gino at: order@rastascan.com

Also, Gino is considering reactivating his sale list of items which he obtains in trades for his Rastascan releases. If interested, send him an e-mail. (And if you don't own Gianni Gebbia: Arcana Major/Sonic Tarots Session; Peter Kowald/Miya Masaoka/Gino Robair: Illuminations (Several Views); Steve Norton/Tom Plsek/Gino Robair: Firehouse Futurities, etc., send him an order!)

Two others set for June / July release on CSR:

Landscape: recognizable

Birgit Ulher - trumpet

Lou Mallozzi - microphon, turntables

Michael Zerang - percussion

cs037.jpg

Diafon

Ernesto Rodrigues - violin, piezos

Alfredo Costa Monteiro - turntable

Barry Weisblat - homemade electronics

cs041.jpg

Edited by Chaney

Gaslini has been on the experimental side of the European jazz scene since he started making records back in 1948!

One of Gaslini's best albums is 'Nuovi Sentimenti' (New Feelings) suite he recorded in 1966. Musicians taking part in the sessions were Don Cherry, Enrico Rava, Steve Lacy, Gianni Bedori, Gato Barbieri, JF Jenny-Clark, Ken Carter, Franco Tonani and Al (sic!) Romano!

An album that should be reissued!

Thanks for this mention, brownie. I haven't listened to my copy of 'Nuovi Sentimenti' in years. I'll be getting it off the shelf and listening to it soon.

My first (not my last) post on Funny Rat

Thanks for this mention, brownie. I haven't listened to my copy of 'Nuovi Sentimenti' in years. I'll be getting it off the shelf and listening to it soon.

I have pulled my copy out too. Will be spinning it tomorrow.

Trust the music has aged well...

Also:

I'm sure you will have plenty to teach those funny rats :crazy:

I have pulled my copy out too. Will be spinning it tomorrow.

Trust the music has aged well...

Also:

I'm sure you will have plenty to teach those funny rats :crazy:

I'd love to hear this one, sounds like a very interesting album!

brownie & David: I just listened to the Oliva set from the "jazz n (e)motion" box, and wow! I haven't heard the Bley yet, but anyway, this is the very best, indeed! Fantastic choice of songs/motives, and great introspective playing. Pure beauty!

A side-note to brownie: I saw "India Song" in a fatally red copy with very bad soundtrack and no subtitles (meaning I was just about able to follow the "plot", but didn't get no finesses), and it left me helpless, and believing the film was utter crap... now hearing this hauntingly simple motive again, the images, reddish as I saw them, are coming back again, and I would badly like to see the film again. Seems it's quite a good one in my memory, now... much better, for sure, than I thought when I left the theatre!

brownie & David: I just listened to the Oliva set from the "jazz n (e)motion" box, and wow! I haven't heard the Bley yet, but anyway, this is the very best, indeed! Fantastic choice of songs/motives, and great introspective playing. Pure beauty!

Gorgeous music indeed. I'm grateful to P.L.M. for recommending this one way-back-when at AAJ forum - no way would I have learnt about this disc otherwise.

Don't have the Bley one, but I remember P.L.M. mentioned it was relatively weak.

Gorgeous music indeed. I'm grateful to P.L.M. for recommending this one way-back-when at AAJ forum - no way would I have learnt about this disc otherwise.

Don't have the Bley one, but I remember P.L.M. mentioned it was relatively weak.

Yes. And he also likes the Oliva best, I think. Will have to spin all of these soon, again (and for the first time, in case of the Bley).

Oliva was artist in residence at this year's "Bleu sur Scènes" festival in Paris. He played several duos with partners of his choice (Susanne Abbüehl was one of them - he has replaced her original piano player on some occassions... or maybe for good, I don't know that), and France musiques has just broadcasted the first part of the set they did record, with Oliva & Joey Baron. Second part will be broadcasted after their summer break, will try and catch it, too.

Yes. And he also likes the Oliva best, I think. Will have to spin all of these soon, again (and for the first time, in case of the Bley).

Oliva was artist in residence at this year's "Bleu sur Scènes" festival in Paris. He played several duos with partners of his choice (Susanne Abbüehl was one of them - he has replaced her original piano player on some occassions... or maybe for good, I don't know that), and France musiques has just broadcasted the first part of the set they did record, with Oliva & Joey Baron. Second part will be broadcasted after their summer break, will try and catch it, too.

I hve this Oliva/Roulin "Tristano" disc on Sketch, but remember not liking it too much - seemed to polished for me. Will revisit it soon.

I hve this Oliva/Roulin "Tristano" disc on Sketch, but remember not liking it too much - seemed to polished for me. Will revisit it soon.

I remember having read a quite enthusiast review (though by some swiss critic, and with one or one and a half exceptions, they don't know sh*tte).

I like it. But it's music done "by the rules".

You should (and UBU too) check their pairing on a CD publish by EMOUVANCE who's name is... TRISTANO.

I suppose it will suit better your taste.

They play the tunes of TRISTANO, or those associate to him (317 EAST 32 ND, LINE UP, REQUIEM, LENNIE-BIRD, YOU DON'T NOW WHAT LOVE IS, WOW, DREAMS + one from LENNY POPKIN) and some originals by both in a straigth piano duo.

And it's really amazing.

Edited by P.L.M

Have any of you had a chance to listen to the (now OOP) 8cd set Document: New Music From Russia: the '80's yet? I am going to start downloading this set from emusic and was wondering if any of the discs were worth avoiding or if the entire set was essential.

Docum.jpg

I'm listening to Frank Gratkowski's Spectral Reflections right now and enjoying it quite a bit. Have any of you heard his new double cd set Loft Exile V? It features two live concerts, with three to four horns, two bass players and two drummers. It sounds very interesting.

g55316tjqej.jpg

Have any of you had a chance to listen to the (now OOP) 8cd set Document: New Music From Russia: the '80's yet?  I am going to start downloading this set from emusic and was wondering if any of the discs were worth avoiding or if the entire set was essential.

Docum.jpg

I'm listening to Frank Gratkowski's Spectral Reflections right now and enjoying it quite a bit. Have any of you heard his new double cd set Loft Exile V? It features two live concerts, with three to four horns, two bass players and two drummers.  It sounds very interesting.

g55316tjqej.jpg

wow the Document box set is on emusic!

I really need to sign up for that thing.

John, I downloaded this Document set and had some random listening. What I heard (Vapirov/Kuryokhin, Goncharova, Archangelsk, Chekasin) was very good.

Information about new releases on Leo website.

Glad to see that Leo has come to his senses with download prizes!

Special Summer 2005 Download Sale - only for limited time:

You can now buy downloads of most of LEO RECORDS CDs in the highly reputated, free & open-source OGG VORBIS music compression format for only US$ 4.- per CD.

John, I downloaded this Document set and had some random listening. What I heard (Vapirov/Kuryokhin, Goncharova, Archangelsk, Chekasin) was very good.

You can now buy downloads of most of LEO RECORDS CDs in the highly reputated, free & open-source OGG VORBIS music compression format for only US$ 4.- per CD.

oh well.. and after that again up to 10$? Guess I ought to get a few, then! How long will summer last? It's already over here!

oh well.. and after that again up to 10$? Guess I ought to get a few, then! How long will summer last? It's already over here!

I think regular price for download was brough down to $6 or $7 a couple of months ago. Looks like Leo is still investigating what the most appropriate pricing for a download is - and he does it the right way: through e-bay auctions: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=4741146188. Looks like in June somebody won a download for £0.01.

Edited by Д.Д.