Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I'm not much on that first one, but the second grabs me.

(just making sure I get my five posts in for the next 5000....)

Got both CDs and listened to them. Both are good, but the second one, Electro-Magnetic Trans-Personal Orchestra is indeed a more interesting one. Very original music - highly recommended. It's a part of $5 sale ($ 5 !!!!)

Friends, in case you are thinking what else form the $5 sale (yes, $5!!!!) to add to the your CD Baby order, I would highly recommend this one: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mackstaller - guitar trio, definitely on mainstream side, but tasteful, unpretentious and not without originality. Great fluid drumming.

Another $5 ($ 5 !!!!) baby could as well be:

for John: http://cdbaby.com/cd/medulla some pretty exciting guitar (meaning GUITARRRRRRR!!! trio jams).

for everybody: http://cdbaby.com/cd/neilleonard - this one I franky don't have yet, but samples sound very interesting.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Details of the CD Baby sale:

There are over 9000 albums here in our "$5 specials" sale.

All of them still sell for full price if you buy them alone.

But once you have at least three different "$5 specials" in your shopping cart at the same time, you will see their price drop to just $5 each.

Not "junk" - these are amazing albums that chose to be in this special promotion.

We did this so you could afford to experiment! Have fun! Get as many as you can!

:excl:

David: Any recommendations from the new age category?

:rsly:

Details of the CD Baby sale:

There are over 9000 albums here in our "$5 specials" sale.

All of them still sell for full price if you buy them alone.

But once you have at least three different "$5 specials" in your shopping cart at the same time, you will see their price drop to just $5 each.

Not "junk" - these are amazing albums that chose to be in this special promotion.

We did this so you could afford to experiment! Have fun! Get as many as you can!

:excl:

David: Any recommendations from the new age category?

:rsly:

Tony my friend, you just have to ask: new age.

Guest Chaney

Tony my friend, you just have to ask: new age.

MY EARS!!!!!!!!

:P

~~~~~~~~~~~

This one isn't part of the sale but have a listen to the samples.

ernesto11.jpg

Review of Mr. Nate Dorward.

Edited by Chaney

Geoff - I like that Bandwagon disc when they actually play but the bits with the spoken words (not the one where they build up the composition based on the words of the Turkish woman but others) I usually skip, or they bother me if I forget to. I saw the band live too and enjoyed the show, it's certainly exhilirating when they kick up the energy - though either Jason or Nasheet can do that singly as well.

Friday the 13th is not a solo Tippett I have, I have all the Mujicians so I'm also missing the Une Croix..., but assuming it's similar to the Mujicians, I'd think very highly of that (and actually if you happen not to like it, drop me a pm for a sale or trade).

I bought these cds today.

What do you guys think of some of these albums?

That you have wide interests? :)

I have only heard all the Bley's, Tippett and Moran.

The Moran IMHO is what good mainstream should be - ambitious but not pretentious, lively, with individual flavour.

The Tippett: didn't listen to it recently - but as far as I remember it has somewhat unusual for Tippett melodic moments (sorry, can't explain better), but otherwise it's his typical 50-minute long excursion, I like Mujician III and Dartington better, but this one is enjoyable too.

Virtuosi is Bley at one of his peaks, I like it a lot.

Turning Point is is a mix of two sessions, one with Gilmore from 1964 and one trio from 1968, and IMO it shows as far as integrity goes. Still, it is a lot of fun, and one of the rare occasions to hear John Gilmore outside of the Arkestra - shortly before Heliocentrics and The Magic City were recorded. (Too bad there is no Ayler - who apparently sat in with this group a few times when they played live). And the trio tracks are great - in fact, Mr. Joy may well be my favourite here.

Axis is from a different period, and a strong solo album - although my top choice from the 70s solo Bley would be Alone Again (and I still don't understand why Open To Love gets so much praise).

PS. Bley's album covers are so ugly...

Edited by sashabur

Geoff, of those I have only two:

Virtuosi, and I think it is excelent - slow, pensive with great interaction of the players. The opening theme is fascinating.

I found Bowise/Wilson suprisingly boring (suprisingly, because normally I like Bowie a lot) and unfocused.

Geoff, of those I have only two:

Virtuosi, and I think it is excelent - slow, pensive with great interaction of the players. The opening theme is fascinating.

I found Bowise/Wilson suprisingly boring (suprisingly, because normally I like Bowie a lot) and unfocused.

I listened to VIrtuosi last night.

I really liked it.

PS2. Re: Bley - maybe I should have mentioned, for those who have not heard these albums, that Virtuosi and Turning Point are indeed very different - Virtuosi is free music, and Turning Point is all "songs", simple but full of irony.

Edited by sashabur

I'm in Warsaw now - went to a CD store and bought some Polish music, including

Mikolaj Trzaska / Peter Friis Nielsen / Peeter Uuskyla: "Inforgiven North" (Kilogram records). Cannot listen to the record itself, but found a Kilogram records website with a lot of mp3s.

This is the disc I am talking about: http://www.kilogram.pl/?l=pl&id=katalog&ex=8. Sounds good to me.

Friis Nielsen / Uuskyla are bass / drums of the Brötzmann's "Nefertiti" trio.

-------------------

Listened to all the samples (40 minutes available!) - this is really good stuff!

Edited by Д.Д.

Friends, incredible things do happen.

I had a dinner with my Polish colleague today. On the way out of restaurant I grab a copy of "events" newspaper. Get back to hotel, idly skim through it. What do I see in the "jazz" section? - "Yuriy Yaremchuk; abbreviation of a day; 9pm".

I check abbreviation in the dictionary - means Sunday.

Look at the watch - 9.10pm.

Check the map - the club is 10 minutes walk from my hotel.

9.30pm I am there - Yaremchuk and his quartet (piano-bass-drums-reeds) have just started. The music they play is '60s mainstream "standards" ("Love Supreme", "Maiden Voyage", etc.); Yaremchuk is playing tenor and soprano, and he is (non-)suprisingly excellent in a mainstream setting. Very muscular post-Coltrane extravert tenor (reminded me of Joe Farrell at his most experimental) with beautiful full sound, and quite reserved Shorter-ish soprano. It was fun to watch more free elements creeping in more than occasionally - "In a Sentimental Mood" had some Butcheresque solo intro, and a most of the solos had some impressive multiphonics and extended techniques display (all not forced and really organic within relatively mainstream framework). Yaremchuk played soprano and tenor simultaniously a bit (in a perfect unison). The band was OK, but obviously not on the level of Yaremchuk.

In the intermission I talk to the man - he is shocked. Think about it: Russian, in Warsaw who knows his music (I don't think he ever saw "fans" of his music; he actually was not aware that such exist). Very sweet guy. Was a bit apologetic about playing mainstream (said club owners asked him to) [i thought to myself that such a mainstream would send half of the Organissimo forum home running]. Talked about the creative music situation in Ukraine and Russia (bad, as elsewhere), and creative music in general. It was a pleasure to see a musician who is actually extremely curious about music of other people. Yaremchuk praised highly Michel Doneda, Daunik Lazro, Ramon Lopez and Urs Leimgruber - seems like these are the musicians he identifies himself most with. Mentioned that he and Doneda have been planning to record something together but cannot find a way to set it up financially. Mentioned a recent concert he did in Krakow (Southern Poland) with some 60-year old "prepared tubist" who left him mightily impressed - as an example of a world-class innovative musician whom nobody heard about. Also told me about some St. Petersburg bassist (Khomkin? Sasha do you know him, by chance?), who played duo with Han Bennink during the latter's visit to St. Pete, and according to Yaremchuk, Bennink was blown away by his talent.

I mentioned I know several more people interested in his music, and we actually discuss his music on Internet - this was beyond his belief. This fact seemed to have really inspired him (in general, I noticed that he is acutely attuned to audience's reaction - he feels that playing to audience, however small and "uninitiated", is critical for development of creative musicians; I mentioned that (relatively random) crowd gave him a very warm reception (which it did, IMO) - he, in turn noted regretfully that "some people left in the middle").

Regarding upcoming projects, Yaremchuk mentioned that he might record some "tough free jazz" in a trio later this year in Krakow (to be released on Not Two, I assume). In early October there is a Moscow Composers Orchestra concert in Moscow (looks like Yaremchuk is already looking forward to it) - with Sainkho et al. (Sasha, are you going to be there, by chance?).

Got some goodies, of course (Yaremchuk didn't have them on display - you have to ask for it) - CDRs released on his own 3yar records, including a solo tenor disc.

Thanked me profusely for being interested in and supportive of creative music (not his specifucally, but creative music in general).

foto06.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

David! That's fabulous! What a wonderful story!

Darned shame that Yaremchuk is not more widely known... but that's true many dozens of times over of musicians playing this type of music. What a tough way to make a living.

His site lists many titles. Any idea if it's possible to place an order? Guess it couldn't hurt to send an e-mail.

(Got your e-mail. Thanks!)

Darned shame that Yaremchuk is not more widely known... but that's true many dozens of times over of musicians playing this type of music. What a tough way to make a living.

His site lists many titles.  Any idea if it's possible to place an order?  Guess it couldn't hurt to send an e-mail.

I doubt it - I doubt even whether Yaremchuk has a bank account. I will try to see him in October in Moscow, so I am taking orders. CDRs are $5.

His site lists many titles.  Any idea if it's possible to place an order?  Guess it couldn't hurt to send an e-mail.

I doubt it - I doubt even whether Yaremchuk has a bank account. I will try to see him in October in Moscow, so I am taking orders. CDRs are $5.

Let me know which ones you would highly recommend and I will most definitely take you up on that offer.

Great story, by the way!

I've been outside doing yardwork all day, no time for music, unfortunately. I'll have to catch up on the rest of the discussions tomorrow.

Was a bit apologetic about playing mainstream (said club owners asked him to) [i thought to myself that such a mainstream would send half of the Organissimo forum home running].

:lol:

That was the funniest part indeed! David, great story!

I'd be in for some Yaremtchuk discs, too! Just buy me any, and I'll send some money, then!

What do I see in the "jazz" section? - "Yuriy Yaremchuk

Wonderful story, David :)

Yaremchuk praised highly Michel Doneda, Daunik Lazro, Ramon Lopez and Urs Leimgruber - seems like these are the musicians he identifies himself most with. Mentioned that he and Doneda have been planning to record something together but cannot find a way to set it up financially.

As far as I understand, Yaremchuk plays in France every so often, and has some friends there. I have a good quartet CD of him with two French guys (who are also on the Duets disc mentioned earlier) and a violin player fron Ukraine. It's called Closed Mountains.

Also told me about some St. Petersburg bassist (Khomkin? Sasha do you know him, by chance?), who played duo with Han Bennink during the latter's visit to St. Pete, and according to Yaremchuk, Bennink was blown away by his talent. 

It's Dmitry Kahovsky. He did play well with Bennink for five minutes at the end of Bennink's solo concert here, and he is a strong bassist - but unfortunately he is too proud of himself, to the extent of what you'd expect from a BIG rock-star. The guy has his own group, Totalitarian Musical Sect (where he is a guru, indeed :), but doesn't collaborate with his equals outside it.

As far as Bennink's reaction - you have to know Bennink, he is a generous person when it comes to saying nice things about others' work.

In early October there is a Moscow Composers Orchestra concert in Moscow (looks like Yaremchuk is already looking forward to it) - with Sainkho et al. (Sasha, are you going to be there, by chance?).

Not sure if I go to Moscow or stay here, because this concert is going to be a part of a festival shared between Moscow and St.Petersburg. It's organised by DOM and Long Arms label in the memory of Nikolay Dmitriev between 8 and 13 of October, and there were some ambitious plans to invite Anthony Braxton, Pauline Oliveros, Keith Rowe, Bennink, Broetzmann, Rothenberg, Gustafsson, Vandermark etc. etc. but from what I hear many things didn't work out already. Still there may be more interesting events than just this MCO concert. Apparently Terry Riley is going to come, and Shelley Hirsh, and a few other people.

Edited by sashabur

As far as I understand, Yaremchuk plays in France every so often, and has some friends there. I have a good quartet CD of him with two French guys (who are also on the Duets disc mentioned earlier) and a violin player fron Ukraine. It's called Closed Mountains.

sasha, if you follow this link, you will see that D.D. has already spread "Closed Mountains" among some of us. A very nice disc, indeed!