Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I saw your Lambert recommendation, was too fast typing before to include it. And yes, I noted that they don't offer any nice way of handling our custom problem... I guess I'd order 4 discs maximum anyway, maybe 6. 8 would already be past the 50 Franks limit, I'm afraid.

Flurin: Let me know if you want to use my address as the ship to address and then I can ship the CDs to you. You could then PayPal the postage to me. It could save you some hassle with customs.

I would use this offer as well, if you don't mind.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the link

Click on High or Low depending on your internet connection.

Another nice Internet radio: http://musicmavericks.publicradio.org/listening/index.html

Both "smooth" and "crunchy" channels are funnyratty enough.

Friends, this is some really insane stuff! (I am on the "crunchy" channel - noit yet ready for the "smooth" one). I am to a large extent ignorant when it comes to (good) modern academic music, so this is an eye-opener to me. 90% of what I hear go to THE LIST immidiately.

Any recommendations? I have the McPhee, and I might be interested in the Hal Russell and Bobby Few, but most of these artists are more or less unknown to me.

out of the discs I have heard I would highly recommend these:

Sparks Fly Upward - Alex Cline Ensemble

I would argue about this one - I found it to be new-agy and lacking any sense of adventure. Cryptogrammophon website is generous with mp3s, so you can check it out before making a decision.

Any recommendations? I have the McPhee, and I might be interested in the Hal Russell and Bobby Few, but most of these artists are more or less unknown to me.

out of the discs I have heard I would highly recommend these:

Sparks Fly Upward - Alex Cline Ensemble

I would argue about this one - I found it to be new-agy and lacking any sense of adventure. Cryptogrammophon website is generous with mp3s, so you can check it out before making a decision.

After listening to all of the sound samples on the Crypt... site, I found little that I'd care to buy - a Mark Dresser title being the exception. (I think we discussed this back a few dozen pages.)

Listening to the Crunchy Channel right now. Ain't technology grand?

Friends, I'm too tired right now to catch up with all your posts and links, but Chaney: thanks a lot for your very kind offer! I will give it a thought (I mean, if I should at all order).

I just spent a nice hour with Christy Doran and Freddy Studer, talking to them about their Jimi Hendrix project (about which I posted here, I believe, and in the Live Jazz forum). They gave us a raw-mix of tracks that will (partially, it seems) end up on their upcoming live disc. We'll do a radio show with this interview and portions from the live disc later in December. I can post a link if anyone's interested, once it's up online.

ubu

I can post a link if anyone's interested, once it's up online.

ubu

Please do!

:tup

Hey, you don't like Doran! :g

Btw: if anyone wants to join me (David will, hopefully!?): next Sunday 8 p.m. Tim Berne in Zurich (with that small group with Craig Taborn - Roscoe M. said "Watch out for Craig Taborn", it seems, just before his set started on Saturday).

Feel free to call me up and ask for details ;)

ubu

Polish label NotTwo released a new Cosmosamatics Trio disc: Reeds and Birds. For those of you who don't know, Cosmosamatics is an excellent band of

Sonny Simmons - alto sax, English horn, vocals

Michael Marcus - tenor sax, saxello, Bb clarinet

Jay Rosen - drums

at the core. Previously there was a bassist also (on two Boxholder releases and on Bleu Regard live disc), but looks like for now it is a trio.

http://www.nottwo.com/PelnaPlyta.php?Id=292&W=0&Od=&Off=

I will be in Poland next week, and will try to pick up some of the NotTwo releases. Let me know of you are interested in anything. COmplete NotTwo catalog: http://www.nottwo.com/Katalog.php?ws=0&Typ=NT&W=0

Just ordered this Okka batch, directly from Chuck Nessa:

12001 Fred Anderson / Steve McCall "Vintage Duets"

12003 Marilyn Crispell, Fred Anderson, Hamid Drake "Destiny"

12014 Fred Anderson / DKV Trio

12030 DKV Trio Live in Wels & Chicago 1998 NEW (2 DISKS)

12042 DKV Trio "Trigonometry" recorded "live" in Rochester, NY and

Kalamazoo, MI (2 discs)

12049 Atomic/School Days "Nuclear Assembly Hall" (2 discs)

(I´ve also posted this in the "What music did you buy today" thread)

What should I expect from these discs? Only noise? :g

Kalamazoo, MI (2 discs)

The 1st, 4th, and 6th I think are the better within that batch. None of them, if you were serious, are anywhere near as heavy/noise, if you were serious, as you're implying. The closest to post-bop mainstream jazz, and indeed in parts very close, is Nuclear Assembly Hall, which I quite like. Anderson/McCall is free-ish but in a very disciplined and cohesive way, well you'll hear what I mean, and DKV plays and builds on a lot of grooves so it's not much difficult, if at all, to get into - apart from the relatively shorter solo sections it's usually a groove or vamp kick-started by Kessler and Drake that Vandermark then plays over and after that it pretty much developes as a result of the close interaction between the three. Some tunes in Trigonometry, I think, go on a bit too much without enough content/variety.

Kalamazoo, MI (2 discs)

What should I expect from these discs? Only noise?  :g

The 1st, 4th, and 6th I think are the better within that batch. None of them, if you were serious, are anywhere near as heavy/noise, if you were serious, as you're implying. The closest to post-bop mainstream jazz, and indeed in parts very close, is Nuclear Assembly Hall, which I quite like. Anderson/McCall is free-ish but in a very disciplined and cohesive way, well you'll hear what I mean, and DKV plays and builds on a lot of grooves so it's not much difficult, if at all, to get into - apart from the relatively shorter solo sections it's usually a groove or vamp kick-started by Kessler and Drake that Vandermark then plays over and after that it pretty much developes as a result of the close interaction between the three. Some tunes in Trigonometry, I think, go on a bit too much without enough content/variety.

Thanks, gnhrtg! I´ll take your comments into consideration when listening to those discs, as I´m a newbie to this kind of jazz.

And no, I wasn´t serious about noise. Just kidding. ;)

Kalamazoo, MI (2 discs)

You did not want to test the Brotzmann waters??

Your list looks good.

Know you will provide CDRs when you get those, OK?

Just kidding, Chuck :g

Kalamazoo, MI (2 discs)

What should I expect from these discs? Only noise?  :g

You did not want to test the Brotzmann waters??

Your list looks good.

Know you will provide CDRs when you get those, OK?

Just kidding, Chuck :g

I´ve recently tested Brötzmann waters: his duo with Hamid Drake ("Dried rat dog" also on Okka) that I like a lot, and a 2 CD live date (Karlsruhe) of the Chicago Tentet that Flurin kindly provided me.

In fact I was planning to pick some more Brötzmann, but asked for recommendations in a Spanish jazz Yahoo group, they shot them, and I took the plunge.... and after sending my email to Chuck I realize I hadn´t included any Brötzmann. ^_^

And as for the CDR... don´t let Chuck know, or he will charge some extra fees for "authorized illegal distribution" :w

;)

Naaked City Complete Studio Recordings. Makes sense? Haven't heard anythng by Naked CIty.

I only know the three Naked City titles originally issued by Nonesuch (The Tzadik site says there was one 'domestic' but I have three...). Two now run cold on me, but not The Big Gundown which still warms my cockles. It is a reworking of Ennio Morricone spaghetti western music and a fantastic tribute. If you have any liking for the Leone/Morricone collaborations, I can recommend this one to you as a place to start. Even if you don't care for Zorn but you like the Morricone music I'd say keep an eye open for this one.

EDITED FOR RAMPANT INACCURACY

Uhh - take it all back. It seems the Morricone music is not by Naked City but under Zorn's name. Still, I keep in the recommendation for The Big Gundown!

By the way John Patton is on one track of Gundown and also features on Spillane.

And do you know the News For Lulu disks? Covers of Blue Note hard bop classics with George Lewis and Bill Frisell. Nice!

Edited by David Ayers

I´ve recently tested Brötzmann waters: [...] a 2 CD live date (Karlsruhe) of the Chicago Tentet that Flurin kindly provided me.

Now about that one: I have one set which I don't remember whom I planned sending it (not yours brownie, yours will be delivered fairly soon).

PLEASE HELP ME! CHAOS HERE! (as if that was new to you all ;) )

ubu

I´ve recently tested Brötzmann waters: [...] a 2 CD live date (Karlsruhe) of the Chicago Tentet that Flurin kindly provided me.

Now about that one: I have one set which I don't remember whom I planned sending it (not yours brownie, yours will be delivered fairly soon).

ubu

That might be me, ubu? Or holding on to it might be your way of whipping me for the now ridiculous delay in getting the copies of those trays to you.

ubu

That might be me, ubu? Or holding on to it might be your way of whipping me for the now ridiculous delay in getting the copies of those trays to you.

ok ok, no, that's not the reason, the reason is I still can't send the other things I promised... PM underway.

Kalamazoo, MI (2 discs)

I wouldn't characterize any of these as "noisy," per se. D.D. is correct about the ability of DKV to get a ferocious groove going. When these discs arrive start with DKV Trio - WELS / Chicago. That set is a monster and, to my ears, very accesible.

I also ordered Vintage Duets and Nuclear Assembly Hall, as well as a few other Okkas I'd been meaning to buy for a while.

Let us know what you think when you have a chance to listen to this order!