Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Tony, no response from Leo is atypical for him. I assume he is on a summer vacation without access to e-mail.

-----------------------

This the sale of tickets for money was abolished CD surely looks interesting. Gotta send some money to Mr. Smith.

------------------------

I agree regarding the missing person report style. As if the fact that the person is missing is not enough - you need to justify that he is a really nice guy...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Forgive me for quoting myself but a show of hands: we ALL have shown our good sense by ordering this wonderful set, right?

One that I'm listening to just now:

win.jpeg

WIN THIS TIME (Limited Sedition - LS018)

Vinny Golia (soprano & tenor saxophones, bass clarinet & flute); George Cremaschi (contrabass) ; and Garth Powell (percussion &, *ahem*, megaphone)

recorded by Garth Powell Jan 1998

9 tracks, 50 minutes, limited to 113 numbered copies.  (Mine is numbered '68'.)

LIMITED SEDITION

What say we sell this baby out tonight!  ARE YOU WITH ME?!   para.gif

I need more Vinny Golia. (And OH! how I wish Garth Powell recorded more!)

Recommendations?

i just enjoyed this one from CIMP:

CIMP 269 David Taylor (bass trombone) Trio with Dominic Duval (bass), Jay Rosen (drums)

Doppelganger

Dave Taylor is a legend among trombonists. The King of the Bass Trombone, he's been on hundreds of commercial recordings. What many don't realize is that Dave's creative improvised impulses are mighty but largely untapped. Here he shows that his technique can go head to head with his imagination and everyone benefits. This tour de force ends with a wonderful take on "Home On the Range." Recorded May 9 & 10, 2002.

Double Tear - I'm Not Cool, Too! - Leisured Enfilade - Tri-Tiered Timbred Tribute To a Muse - To Amuse(Ette) - Psyamba - To Rahsaan - Portrait Take One: Do You Have Stigmata From Your Alma Mater - Portrait Take Two: Within - You're Not Cool! - Very Distant Voices - Whirligig - Hurdly-Gertie (Musette) - Om On De Range

you can find it here:

http://www.cadencebuilding.com/cadence/cimpcat.html

:tup

Dave Taylor is featured on excellent CD by Absolute Ensemble called Absolution (Enja Winkelmann): http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-9394

Highly recommended if you are interested in exploring combination of 20th century academic orchestral music with improvisation. Besides Taylor this disc features Denman Maroney on impressive prepared piano.

finally found this puppy used ($4.99!) what a steal! and you didn't mention that they did hendrix's "purple haze", WOW!!! :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

thanks for the recommendation!

Forgive me for quoting myself but a show of hands:  we ALL have shown our good sense by ordering this wonderful set, right?

One that I'm listening to just now:

win.jpeg

WIN THIS TIME (Limited Sedition - LS018)

Vinny Golia (soprano & tenor saxophones, bass clarinet & flute); George Cremaschi (contrabass) ; and Garth Powell (percussion &, *ahem*, megaphone)

recorded by Garth Powell Jan 1998

9 tracks, 50 minutes, limited to 113 numbered copies.  (Mine is numbered '68'.)

LIMITED SEDITION

What say we sell this baby out tonight!  ARE YOU WITH ME?!   para.gif

I need more Vinny Golia. (And OH! how I wish Garth Powell recorded more!)

Recommendations?

sent in an order :w

glad the dollar isn't more expensive than a roll of toilet paper... (which, as a bonus, is far more expansive... :crazy: )

I tried a search and couldn't find this, but has anyone brought up the fact that Koji Tano

died a few weeks ago? The colon cancer took him rather quickly.

When I get back from Germany, I'll be putting together a tribute piece.

Maybe my O-Search is faulty, but it seems to have not been mentioned in the Funny Rat

which is quite a surprise.

R°d

I'd never heard of him before readinf this on the Chondritic Sound website:

"07/31/05 - 1961 - 2005. Koji Tano died on 31 July 2005 at the age of 44.

M.S.B.R. (Molten Salt Breeder Reactor), aka Koji Tano, is one of the most respected noise artists to emerge from Tokyo's vibrant noise/experimental music scene of the 90's. He has played with countless other musician's and has toured 4 continents (Asia, Europe, North America and Australia). Much of his material is self-released on his own labels, one of which is dedicated to the production of limited edition cassette releases. MSBR's crushing wall of noise, like Merzbow's, manages to tap into a post-human territory of pure absolute volume that seems to have more in common with the unstoppable forces of nature than any form of music.

M.S.B.R.'s noise was highly influential to my own, especially in the early days. His label is one I've respected & admired for years thanks to the quality and originality of the noise and packaging. There would be no Chondritic Sound without the MSBR label. It's a sad day to see that Koji is gone. He will be sorely missed. Rest in peace."

Forgive me for quoting myself but a show of hands:  we ALL have shown our good sense by ordering this wonderful set, right?

[...]

I need more Vinny Golia.  (And OH! how I wish Garth Powell recorded more!)

Recommendations?

I hope nobody minds me quoting myself, but Hunting the spirits inside them on Music & Arts featuring Golia, one Joelle Leandre and one Ken Filiano is a monster record. Last time I checked Music & Arts CDs were available at Cadense for some laughable amount of $$.

CIMP 269 David Taylor (bass trombone) Trio with Dominic Duval (bass), Jay Rosen (drums)

Doppelganger

Dave Taylor is a legend among trombonists. The King of the Bass Trombone, he's been on hundreds of commercial recordings. What many don't realize is that Dave's creative improvised impulses are mighty but largely untapped. Here he shows that his technique can go head to head with his imagination and everyone benefits. This tour de force ends with a wonderful take on "Home On the Range." Recorded May 9 & 10, 2002.

Double Tear - I'm Not Cool, Too! - Leisured Enfilade - Tri-Tiered Timbred Tribute To a Muse - To Amuse(Ette) - Psyamba - To Rahsaan - Portrait Take One: Do You Have Stigmata From Your Alma Mater - Portrait Take Two: Within - You're Not Cool! - Very Distant Voices - Whirligig - Hurdly-Gertie (Musette) - Om On De Range

you can find it here:

Dave Taylor is featured on excellent CD by Absolute Ensemble called Absolution (Enja Winkelmann): http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-9394

Highly recommended if you are interested in exploring combination of 20th century academic orchestral music with improvisation. Besides Taylor this disc features Denman Maroney on impressive prepared piano.

finally found this puppy used ($4.99!) what a steal! and you didn't mention that they did hendrix's "purple haze", WOW!!! :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

I thought "Purple haze" was the most kitch and the least successful of the tunes here. Still quite entertainig - only pales in comparison to other tracks on this really outstanding record. Let us know what you think of it.

Edited by Д.Д.

I recommend to anyone interested in this kind of music to grab a copy of the "Assumed Possibilities" (music on the borderline of free improv and eai). A genuine collectors' item - and this may be the only chance to get hold of a copy at all (the CDR has been OOP for years now!).

I was able to get this one, as well as Evan parker's Conic Sections, from Gino. Hopefully I'll have a chance to listen to both today. I'll post my thoughts if I do.

I hope nobody minds me quoting myself, but Hunting the spirits inside them on Music & Arts featuring Golia, some Joelle Leandre and some Ken Filiano is a monster record. Last time I checked Music & Arts CDs were available at Cadense for some laughable amount of $$.

Thanks, D.D., I will get that soon from either Verge or DMG. Yes, Music & Arts discs are cheap but in my experience the sound leaves a fair bit to be desired. How is the sound on this one - we can hear the two basses allright, yes?

I recommend to anyone interested in this kind of music to grab a copy of the "Assumed Possibilities" (music on the borderline of free improv and eai). A genuine collectors' item - and this may be the only chance to get hold of a copy at all (the CDR has been OOP for years now!).

I was able to get this one, as well as Evan parker's Conic Sections, from Gino. Hopefully I'll have a chance to listen to both today. I'll post my thoughts if I do.

Looks like someone else got Conic Sections. [...] Sorry to say that the CD-R Assumed Possibilities is also gone.

:rmad:

I hope nobody minds me quoting myself, but Hunting the spirits inside them on Music & Arts featuring Golia, one Joelle Leandre and one Ken Filiano is a monster record. Last time I checked Music & Arts CDs were available at Cadense for some laughable amount of $$.

Thanks, D.D., I will get that soon from either Verge or DMG. Yes, Music & Arts discs are cheap but in my experience the sound leaves a fair bit to be desired. How is the sound on this one - we can hear the two basses allright, yes?

Sound is not spectacular, but you can hear the basses OK. And these are some crazy basses!

[...]

I need more Vinny Golia.  (And OH! how I wish Garth Powell recorded more!)

Recommendations?

Doppelganger

you can find it here:

I thought "Purple haze" was the most kitch and the least successful of the tunes here. Still quite entertainig - only pales in comparison to other tracks on this really outstanding record. Let us know what you think of it.

i thought the entire cd was quite good. my wife was in the car when it was on and she asked me what kind of music it was. i said "uh..............................."

so what kind of music would you call it "new wave classical"? "classical jazz"?

:P

Guest Chaney

Life can be so sad.

Here's un update on the formerly missing (trombonist) Charles Stephens.

An update, forwarded from another board:

Charles had a seizure in the streets of Brooklyn last Saturday and fell on his head and injured it badly. He was rushed to the hospital (Downstate Medical Ctr in Brooklyn) and had emergency brain surgery. He has been in a coma ever since and is in crtical condition. We are happy to find him alive, but more than ever - your thoughts and prayer are very much needed.

FYI: Downstate Medical Center always had Charles' ID, but neglected to notify ANYBODY! And this is one of the hospitals that was contacted when we were seeking Charles initially.....

Thank you evrybody for your efforts.

Thanks,

george gee

:(

Guest Chaney

As I've mentioned before, I'm very fond of the Joachim Gies solo recording on Leo.

Posted by: walto at August 15, 2005 06:29 PM

I've done a quick search & I don't think Joachim Gies has been mentioned here before, any opinions as I'm a bit partial to solo works?

Guest Chaney

8x9.jpeg

Well, I'll have to echo David's astute assessment of this one: oh yes.

Fabulous, wonderfully focused music. (Am I hearing an Xenakis influence? It's been 100 years since I've heard any Xenakis, and then only from a CD or two borrowed from the library.) Last night I ordered a few more Limited Sedition titles from John Shiurba and asked John if 8x9 was completely improvised. According to John: ... and yes the Jack Wright session was all improvised. I think he may have given us a little speech first describing the sound he was after. it's still one of the sessions that i'm most proud of.

And rightly so.

Sad thing is, with this recommendation, I've just realized that 8x9 has gone out of print. I've just sent an e-mail to John asking if there are any remaining copies to be had (as I just picked up a copy of the OOP Metalworks by Karen Stackpole, another stunner appearing on the 8x9 session).

Anyone interested may want to put the question to John N O W.

I picked up the Gies solo, as well as two Not Missing Drums Project discs in that Leo sale I mentioned here... of course I haven't really listened to all three discs, but the one I had on in its entirety, I quite liked:

cdred.JPG

Here's the homage: http://www.not-missing-drums.de/

There's plenty of info there (but much of it in German), also on Gies himself.

If you go to "CDS", you'll find a few downloadable cuts.

Be warned taht the Not Missing Drums Project is not about jazz, neither only about improvisation... maybe David can describe it better (I picked up the discs upon his recommendation - thanks again!)? I'd say it's a mix of improvisation, opera singing, and chamber music (of the modern classical, "Neue Musik," kind).

Guest Chaney

Gary: Looks like you may have bought the last one. :tup

Flurin: Speaking of Joachim Gies and Not Missing Drums Project, do you have Urban Voices (with Joelle Leadre, Lauren Newton and Uschi Bruning on vocals)? Far superior to Position/Dark/Red, I feel. Doesn't hurt that the lovely Ms. Newton is in top form on this one.

Edited by Chaney

From what John just told me, in an e-mail yesterday evening, looks like I've got the last copy of Jack Wright Large Ensemble's 8x9. I will send the payment shortly but I was thinking of getting perhaps another 1-2 Limited Sedition releases.

If I recall correctly here are two which were given thumbs-up here,

Vinny Golia/George Cremaschi/Garth Powell - Win This Time

John Shiurba/Scott Rosenberg/Gino Robair/Morgan Guberman - Spotted Dick

Two others I'm curious about are:

Scott Rosenberg - Meet Me on the Gastral Plance (I enjoy his V. solo disc on Umbralle)

Or any of the Matthew Sperry memorial series discs.

Also open to any other suggestions, thanks.

About Joachim Gies - I have not heard his solo album but D.D. and I should each have a copy en route from Verge, ground mail so hopefully will be here for new year's eve.

Edited by gnhrtg

As I've mentioned before, I'm very fond of the Joachim Gies solo recording on Leo.

Posted by: walto at August 15, 2005 06:29 PM

I've done a quick search & I don't think Joachim Gies has been mentioned here before, any opinions as I'm a bit partial to solo works?

As Gokhan mentioned, I do not have this Gies solo disc, but I do and highly enjoy the Not Missing Drums Project discs (on Leo; I have two, I think there are three or four). I agree with ubu - this is some pretty indescribable stuff; very original and engaging. There is some very impressive "modern academic" writing (but not in a sense of cold, dry, cerebral stuff, but rather quircky, catchy even funky little miniatures), some fusion with (very strong) opera singing, and just a little bit of free-ish blowing (in which Gies himself shines). All without bombast and pretty self-ironic (e.g. some romantic soprano singing against bass clarinet wailings, etc.). Gies is very talented composer and arranger, and based on this alone I am interested in his solo works - but from (few) moments of his soloing, it sounds like he also has some excellent chops.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Gokhan: On Limited Sedition, I too just ordered Spotted Dick, based upon David's recommendation. I also just ordered Meet Me on the Gastral Plane and a few others.

I'd recommend that you get the New Millenium Orchestra 4 CD set. Lots of good material on that one and at the nice price of $24.

It took me a long time to warm up to this one but also mighty fine is John Butcher & Gino Robair :Liverpool (Bluecoat) Concert.

OH! Really good is Mutable Witness.

David is fond of PISS but can't say that I care for that one.

(Sorry. Typing fast as I have to start work.)

Get: Mutable Witness and/or the New Millenium Orchestra set.

ON THE EDIT: Win This Time is a must.

Edited by Chaney

Gokhan:  On Limited Sedition, I too just ordered Spotted Dick, based upon David's recommendation.  I also just ordered Meet Me on the Gastral Plane and a few others.

I'd recommend that you get the New Millenium Orchestra 4 CD set.  Lots of good material on that one and at the nice price of $24.

It took me a long time to warm up to this one but also mighty fine is John Butcher & Gino Robair :Liverpool (Bluecoat) Concert

OH!  Really good is Mutable Witness.

David is fond of PISS but can't say that I care for that one.

(Sorry.  Typing fast as I have to start work.)

Get:  Mutable Witness and/or the New Millenium Orchestra set.

ON THE EDIT:  Win This Time is a must.

Win this time is the most jazzy title in the Limited Sedition catalog I've heard. Golia is a bit show-offish here, but he does have what to show. Mutable Witness is excellent!

Btw, despite very sloppy appearence of the CD-Rs, the music is mostly well-recorded.

Oh, I remember - the one I like a lot is Morgan Guberman's tortured bass-guitar solo "Passador Gomel" - some crazy bubbling sounds.

Guberman has also an excellent acoustic bass solo on Pax ("Hamadriya Baboon" it's called, I think), btw - but I plan to bring it up when I do a little overview of some more of the solo bass CDs I got.

From what John just told me, in an e-mail yesterday evening, looks like I've got the last copy of Jack Wright Large Ensemble's 8x9. I will send the payment shortly but I was thinking of getting perhaps another 1-2 Limited Sedition releases.

I sent him a mail yesterday to put one on hold for me, and his reply was he had two left. I just sent the payment. Seems the us rats got hold of last ones!

Chaney: no, I have only heard the two Leos by Not Missing Drums - I think the one you mention is on a different label. Not sure how Newton would fit in with what I've heard, but... would she not be too... what shall I say... to much of an individualist to really fit in with all the others?