Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I second the recommendations of The All-Star Game, and one other thing that makes this music so attractive, to me at least, is how all these great players blend together and make a "group sound", so well their contributions are integrated.

Jordan's playing (probably the best I heard him on disc so far, and I've been a devoted fan already) is worth hearing it.

Haven't heard much of Jordan, but I love Southern Extreme a lot.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jordan's playing (probably the best I heard him on disc so far, and I've been a devoted fan already) is worth hearing it.

Haven't heard much of Jordan, but I love Southern Extreme a lot.

"Southern Extreme" was my first exposure to Jordan, and an eye-opener - a terrific disc (even though I am not that much of a Futterman fan).

Guest Chaney

Nice write up on The All-Star Game, David. (I don't have that one and I've been a bit neglectful in listening to the eremite titles that I own.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This from Matthew Sperry In Memoriam

Sperry/Burdon/Theriault

Doug Theriault writes:

I have a new release with Matthew playing bass. It's called:

Sperry/Burdon/Theriault

Straw Dog Music 03/01

Improvised on June 16th, 2001 at "Are You Listening" Studio, Portland, Oregon.

Recorded and Engineered by Simon Widdowson.

Matthew Sperry: Acoustic Bass

Mark Burdon: Percussion

Doug Theriault: Guitar

It is available here: http://dougtheriault.tandjrec.com/discography/. This release is meant to be a showcase for Matthew's playing, nothing more. Only 50 copies are being released and 35 have gone out already to be reviewed (hopefully). That leaves 15 copies. This is not a fundraiser, and if anyone of you wants a copy (without artwork) I will send it to you personally for the cost of postage.

END

Doug Theriault's site links Toast & Jam Recordings. Check out the sound samples. Some interesting sounds.

Edited by Chaney

Forgive me for quoting myself but a show of hands:  we ALL have shown our good sense by ordering this wonderful set, right?

One that I'm listening to just now:

win.jpeg

WIN THIS TIME (Limited Sedition - LS018)

Vinny Golia (soprano & tenor saxophones, bass clarinet & flute); George Cremaschi (contrabass) ; and Garth Powell (percussion &, *ahem*, megaphone)

recorded by Garth Powell Jan 1998

9 tracks, 50 minutes, limited to 113 numbered copies.  (Mine is numbered '68'.)

LIMITED SEDITION

What say we sell this baby out tonight!  ARE YOU WITH ME?!   para.gif

I've finally received this disc and had a chance to listen to it. Great music! I agree with Chaney, this one is a keeper. (Mine is #80 out of 113, so there should still be a few copies available.)

Forgive me for quoting myself but a show of hands:  we ALL have shown our good sense by ordering this wonderful set, right?

One that I'm listening to just now:

win.jpeg

WIN THIS TIME (Limited Sedition - LS018)

Vinny Golia (soprano & tenor saxophones, bass clarinet & flute); George Cremaschi (contrabass) ; and Garth Powell (percussion &, *ahem*, megaphone)

recorded by Garth Powell Jan 1998

9 tracks, 50 minutes, limited to 113 numbered copies.  (Mine is numbered '68'.)

LIMITED SEDITION

What say we sell this baby out tonight!  ARE YOU WITH ME?!   para.gif

I've finally received this disc and had a chance to listen to it. Great music! I agree with Chaney, this one is a keeper. (Mine is #80 out of 113, so there should still be a few copies available.)

Spinning #83 here right now! good stuff! We supposedly all know how great Powell is (what a pleasure it was to see him live with Gebbia & Goodheart!), but hey, I really like Golia's sound on tenor, and Cremaschi sounds good, so does the whole recording (Powell-made, of course). Open, engaging music... very nice stuff, so thanks a lot to everybody (Tony, mainly!) who recommended it! I certainly don't regret!

Had a fresh look at Luc Ferrari's 'Les Grandes Repetitions' on Cecil Taylor. It was Sandy Bethune who did most of the interviews. Ferrari stayed out of that.

Bethune was a black Haitian intellectual and Cecil Taylor played one of his cat-and-mouse game with him. Bethune was pretty displeased about this. His name does not appear anywhere in the credits.

As direct witness, you're certainly right.

But as you say, they were no mention of that SANDY BETHUNE (unknown from me).

When I've seen the film, it's was an evidence for everybody there, that only FERRARI could have done this interview, as the game of "cat & mouth" seems to be playing by both side.

Now, if the interviewer was serious, that a surprise.

Aniway, one of the best moment of the film was when Jimmy Lyons was playing with the sound of the saxophone in the large and tall fireplace of this magnificent large room.

allen/drake/jordan/parker/silva

the all-star game

mte-44

marshall allen alto saxophone

hamid drake drums

edward 'kidd' jordan tenor saxophone

william parker bass (right channel)

alan silva bass (left channel)

Nice, if not essentail disc. Jordan particuarly shines here - eloquant elaborate constructions, beautiful sound, great diversity. Less intense and aggressive here than elsewhere I've heard him - some bluesy and even lyrical moments creep in. Great master searching and "stretching" himself quite a bit here. Bravo.

Allen is less diverse, and mostly sticks to quite primitive but effective and powerful wails on alto (with really powerful sound!) - in good coordination with what Jordan is doing. Silva is doing some very interesting stuff on bass, playing with feedback and distrortion, doing some frenzied arco and a lot a lot a lot of other things - not too rhythm-focused, as rhythm duties are carried out by Parker.

Of Drake and Parker I will just say that there is nothing in their playing here that will change my opinion about the level of their creativity.

Overall, good fire-music type of free jazz, and Jordan's playing (probably the best I heard him on disc so far, and I've been a devoted fan already) is worth hearing it.

I was literally logging on to comment about this. I also really enjoy it, and was wondering for some recommendations for Jordan and non-Ra Allen? Any suggestions appreciated!

I <...> was wondering for some recommendations for Jordan and non-Ra Allen? Any suggestions appreciated!

Well, non-Ra Allen recommendation is a tricky thing, because there is a bunch of recordings using him as a sideman rather than a leader - like, for example, "Surrender to the Air". There are a few of his appearances on CIMP, of which I have only heard two: with Tyron Hill Quartet, and with Lou Grassi - both decent releases, but not earth-shaking. The two "Mark-n-Marshall" albums on the same label are said to be more of a Whitecage's date than Allen's. As a general tendency, the later these releases are the better. On the other hand, he did some small group concerts in the recent years, and there are a few tapes floating around (like a duo with Medeski, or a trio with W.Parker and Silva) which imho are stronger, Allen-wise.

Then, again, if you haven't heard the last Arkestra CD, "Music for the 21st Century", it's a must - really good stuff, both adventurous and enjoyable. It can be bought directly from the Arkestra, see their website for the details.

From them you may also find Allen's duo with Terry Adams which I haven't heard, but which people seem to enjoy.

I <...> was wondering for some recommendations for Jordan and non-Ra Allen? Any suggestions appreciated!

Well, non-Ra Allen recommendation is a tricky thing, because there is a bunch of recordings using him as a sideman rather than a leader - like, for example, "Surrender to the Air". There are a few of his appearances on CIMP, of which I have only heard two: with Tyron Hill Quartet, and with Lou Grassi - both decent releases, but not earth-shaking. The two "Mark-n-Marshall" albums on the same label are said to be more of a Whitecage's date than Allen's. As a general tendency, the later these releases are the better. On the other hand, he did some small group concerts in the recent years, and there are a few tapes floating around (like a duo with Medeski, or a trio with W.Parker and Silva) which imho are stronger, Allen-wise.

Then, again, if you haven't heard the last Arkestra CD, "Music for the 21st Century", it's a must - really good stuff, both adventurous and enjoyable. It can be bought directly from the Arkestra, see their website for the details.

From them you may also find Allen's duo with Terry Adams which I haven't heard, but which people seem to enjoy.

I think I have this Surrender to the air disc - haven't listend to it for ages.

the all-star game is my first exposure to non-Archestra Allen, and the impresion is better than I had expected. I would be definitely interested in checking out Allen with Whitecage (and those being more of Whitecage discs is definitely not a minus for me - I like Whitecage projects a lot ) - but these are CIMP discs :rmad: .

those being more of Whitecage discs is definitely not a minus for me - I like Whitecage projects a lot ) - but these are CIMP discs  :rmad:

Oh, but I didn't mean it was a minus - it's just the question was about Allen.

As far as CIMP, I seem to be one of those (few?) people who doesn't hate their sound in general - to me, some of their CDs sound good, and some so-so.

Of other side appearances of Marshall Allen: he, Michael Ray and Elson Nascimento played on all but three tracks of "Shibuboshi" by Shibusashirazu Orchestra (Chitei Records) - not that they're easily discernable there as the orchestra is large enough, but the album is quite powerful.

Allen played on one (IIRC) track on "The Dropper" by MMW, an album which I've heard once but couldn't listen to :)

Also, Allen and Knoel Scott joined The Muffins on three tracks of their "Double Negative" (Cuneiform) - this one I haven't heard.

EDIT: Oh, and least we forget, Marshall is also in Alan Silva's Celestrial Communication Orchestra on "Treasure Box" (Eremite), which is remarkable even though it's pricey.

Edited by sashabur

If I remember correctly, a few weeks or months ago some funny rats posted they were going to place orders at FMR records.

Did you actually do? And did you get what you ordered?

I did, I did! The order was received in two days - all as ordered.

I went through the discs only once - I will post my thoughts after I spend more time with them. So far, let me note that there is some KILLER stuff there.

Upcoming on Utech Records

Jesse Quattro "Closer to the Wolf" [018]

Eye Contact "Embracing the Tide" [019]

Eye Contact "Embracing the Tide/Making Eye Contact with God" [019/020]

Sten Ove Toft "Sinners' Virtue" [021]

James Plotkin "Kurtlanmak" [022]

Paal Nilssen-Love/Anders Hana "AM/FM" [023]

Paal Nilssen-Love "Twenty Seven Years Later" [024]

I am glad to see the label hyper-active, and in particular, documenting Nilssen-Love's music in such an extensive manner. I am less glad to see that the editions go OOP within two months after being released. Although I was not particualrly enamoured of the first Utech releases, I found some of them to be really spectacular - e.g. I just finished listening to Steve Hubbacks's TREES, ROCKS AND RAVENS, and it is some beautiful music -very disciplined, organized and creative solo drums/percussion record. Very varied in dynamics, rolling out like a fascinating story. Highly recommeded - OOP already, unfortunately.

Allen played on one (IIRC) track on "The Dropper" by MMW, an album which I've heard once but couldn't listen to :)

[...]

EDIT: Oh, and least we forget, Marshall is also in Alan Silva's Celestrial Communication Orchestra on "Treasure Box" (Eremite), which is remarkable even though it's pricey.

I have one MMW disc - I don't think it riscs ever to be listened again (I tried three times - didn't last for more than 20 minutes).

This Silva box I've been eyeing for some time, but a couple of things prevent me from going for it - 1. price; 2. presense of Sabir Mateen.

If I remember correctly, a few weeks or months ago some funny rats posted they were going to place orders at FMR records.

Did you actually do? And did you get what you ordered?

I did, I did! The order was received in two days - all as ordered.

I went through the discs only once - I will post my thoughts after I spend more time with them. So far, let me note that there is some KILLER stuff there.

I'm completely amazed. I have never had any positive experience with ordering from FMR. Must be ME...

Д.Д. and everyone else, have a look at the updated new releases page of FMR - tons of brand new and forthcoming stuff...

Guest Chaney

David:   Not to distract you from what you're wanting to listen to but any opinion on the Harry Miller set?

My (BACK!)order:

Order Date: 28 May 2005

Order #: **************

Recipient: Me

Items not yet dispatched: 1 of: The Collection [bOX SET]

Delivery estimate: 25 Aug 2005 - 7 Sep 2005

miller_harr_harrymill_101b.jpg

Tony, it's good. Not groundbreaking or particularly revelatory, but good.

There are 5 or 6 different sessions on these 3 discs - from solo to larger bands. Miller is a good bassist, but Kowald (or Leander, if you wish) he is not, so solo and duo sessions left me not entirely satisfied. But larger group sessions are very nice (with some brillaint playing of Harry Beckett, Tevor Watts, Sean Bergin, Louis Moholo... Bennink also, I think) - all somewhere in the early Ornette territory with a lot of this joyful tuneful South African thing (which I enjoy, but in limited doses).

But these are merely first impressions - I need to spend more time with this set.

Thanks David.

I ordered this set three months ago from Amazon.uk and just received this:

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to report that, despite our best efforts, we have been

unable to source the following item:

Harry Miller "The Collection [bOX SET]"

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this

conclusion.  Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for

you.

This item has now been cancelled from your order and we can confirm that

you have not been charged for it.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience

caused.

David:   Not to distract you from what you're wanting to listen to but any opinion on the Harry Miller set?

[...]

I ordered this set three months ago from Amazon.uk and just received this:

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to report that, despite our best efforts, we have been

unable to source the following item:

Harry Miller "The Collection [bOX SET]"

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this

conclusion.  Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for

you.

This item has now been cancelled from your order and we can confirm that

you have not been charged for it.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience

caused.

Amazon.co.uk communicates in style. Even if they don't have a set.

However, I suggest you place an order again - they might be able to locate it second time around - I had a couple of cases like this.

You might also get a CDR copy of this set somehow, one day.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

You might also get a CDR copy of this set somehow, one day.

:wub:

As I've just placed an order with EMANEN*, I won't be shopping for music for quite some time**.

* 4004 STEVE LACY "Weal & Woe" (1972-3)

4006 ANTHONY BRAXTON & DEREK BAILEY "First Duo Concert" (1974)

4010 JOHN RUSSELL & ROGER TURNER "Birthdays" (1996)

4019 PAUL RUTHERFORD "The Gentle Harm of the Bourgeoisie" (1974)

4021 LOL COXHILL & VERYAN WESTON "Boundless" (1998)

4029 JOHN BUTCHER / PHIL DURRANT / JOHN RUSSELL "The Scenic Route" (1998)

4035 EVAN PARKER / STEVE BERESFORD / JOHN EDWARDS / LOUIS MOHOLO-MOHOLO "Foxes Fox" (1999)

4044 HOWARD RILEY / BARRY GUY / TONY OXLEY "Synopsis" (1973)

4045 JOHN BUTCHER "Fixations (14)" (1997-2000)

4049 JOHN BUTCHER with DEREK BAILEY & RHODRI DAVIES "Vortices & Angels" (2000)

4056 CHRIS BURN ENSEMBLE "The Place 1991"

4058 JOHN RUSSELL & ROGER TURNER "The Second Sky" (2001)

4065 FRODE GJERSTAD / JOHN STEVENS / DEREK BAILEY "Hello Goodbye" (1992)

4069 TREVOR WATTS & VERYAN WESTON "6 Dialogues" (2001)

4070 BARRY GUY / HOWARD RILEY / PHILIPP WACHSMANN "Improvisations are Forever Now" (1977-9)

4074 LOL COXHILL & VERYAN WESTON "Worms Organising Archdukes" (2000-1)

4075 LINES "in Australia" (2000)

4085 CHARLOTTE HUG "Neuland" (2001-2)

4087 FRODE GJERSTAD & DEREK BAILEY "Nearly a D" (2002)

4089 JOHN BUTCHER & JOHN EDWARDS "Optic" (2001-2)

4096 BOBBY BRADFORD "Love's Dream" (1973)

**Usual caveats apply: too-good-to-pass-up sales excluded; compelling recommendations excluded; new releases by favorite performers excluded; about-to-go-oop titles excluded; about to go bankrupt/out of business record labels excluded...

I was literally logging on to comment about this. I also really enjoy it, and was wondering for some recommendations for Jordan and non-Ra Allen? Any suggestions appreciated!

I don't have may discs with Kidd Jordan in my collection, but I would definitely recommend all of these:

Two Days in April (Eremite) - Kidd with Fred Anderson, William Parker and Hamid Drake, recorded live in Massachusetts over, you guessed it, two days in April, 1999.

New Orleans Festival Suite (Silkheart) - Kidd with Joel Futterman, William Parker and Alvin Fielder, recorded live in New Orleans in 1999.

and, as a sideman:

Dennis Gonzalez - Debenge-Debenge (Silkheart) Kidd with Dennis Gonzalez,

Marlon Jordan, Charles Brackeen, Malachi Favors, Henry Franklin, Alvin Fielder and

W. A. Richardson. Kidd's tune Zydeco Red is worth the price of the disc alone.

I am glad to see the label hyper-active, and in particular, documenting Nilssen-Love's music in such an extensive manner. I am less glad to see that the editions go OOP within two months after being released.

Some discussion with the owner of Utech over on

I hate music. I asked him about the discs going oop, and it sounds like he wants to keep reissuing them, if possible.

I ordered the Lasse Marhaug and Jazzkammer discs today.

I am glad to see the label hyper-active, and in particular, documenting Nilssen-Love's music in such an extensive manner. I am less glad to see that the editions go OOP within two months after being released.

Some discussion with the owner of Utech over on

I hate music. I asked him about the discs going oop, and it sounds like he wants to keep reissuing them, if possible.

I ordered the Lasse Marhaug and Jazzkammer discs today.

I had some correspondense with Keith, and from what I understood, he is more interested in focusing on new projects than on reissueing whatever whent OOP.

If you are looking for Marhoug / Nilsen-Love's Personal hygiene, try contracting Marhaug directly - I got my copy from him (together with some bonus discs :tup). I haven't listend to it yet.

Edited by Д.Д.

Thanks everyone for the Allen and Jordan pointers - I'll take a listen to whatever I can find, and report back!

For Jordan, I would highly recommend Emancipation suite on Boxholder: a trio of Jordan, Alan Silva on synth and William Parker on bass. This is a real tour-de-force (Jordan is much more aggressive than on all-star game), with Silva doing some hilarious and totally unpredictable orchestral synth playing which creates an intriguing contrast with Jordan's mad wailings (the man's stamina is amazing). Parker is largeley irrelevant here (Silva and Jordan create a tornado of sound too dense for him to contribute anything meaningful), but he is undermiked anyway ;).

f15095zyt6i.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.