Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Thanks, everyone. I sent John a mail to confirm the availability of 8x9 (which was already on hold for me so should be ok), Mutable Witness, Win This Time, and Meet Me on the Gastral Plane.

I will receive these after I'm back from Mulhouse, I imagine, so I will try to chime in with my reactions early September.

Edited by gnhrtg

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another fantastic dutch album that I recommend very highly:

wilde.jpg

Bite the Gnatze - Wilde dans in een afgelegen berghut

Nate Dorward started his blindfold test with track #1 from this disc and reviews the disc nicely on his web site. I was impressed enough to track down a copy.

Paul Pallesen - guitar, banjo, voice

Alan Purves - drums and percussion

Michael Duijves - clarinet, bass clarinet

Jorrit Dijkstra - saxophones

Joost Buis - trombone and lapsteel

Jasper Le Clercq - violin

Maurice Horsthuis - viola

Meinrad Kneer - double bass

The album sounds something like a cross between not quite so "wacky" dutch free improv, European folk music, and U.S. old-time country. Very, very good playing and interesting tunes. Not quite like any other album I have heard.

Thanks, everyone. I sent John a mail to confirm the availability of 8x9 (which was already on hold for me so should be ok), ...

I just got a confirmation mail from John that he sent out the package for me.

He told me that Jack has just sent him a few more discs of 8x9 - thus it's not too late, if anyone else still wants to get it!

Guest Chaney

From the updated Limited Sedition site:

Jack Wright Large Ensemble

8x9

**officially Out Of Print, but Jack has a few more copies that are on the way, I'm not sure how many so email me (shiurba@pacbell.net) if you want to be on the standby list

recorded by John Shiurba 3/7/00

8 tracks, 74 minutes, limited to 109 numbered copies.

Available May 31, 2001.

Jack Wright-saxophones, Bhob Rainey- soprano saxophone, Ma++ Ingalls-clarinet, Morgan Guberman & Matthew Sperry- contrabass, Tom Djll- trumpet, Ron Heglin- tuba, John Shiurba- guitar, Karen Stackpole - percussion

END

Okay, I'll admit it: I am John Shiurba.

:w

;)

zznoisypeopletitle.jpg

Noisy People

Edited by Chaney

wilde.jpg

Nate Dorward started his blindfold test with track #1 from this disc and reviews the disc nicely on his web site.  I was impressed enough to track down a copy.

Glad you liked it, & glad you liked the review too. I seem to recall someone here (was it ubu or D.D.?) wasn't so keen on this brand of European jazz, in the comments on the BFT thread..... but yeah, most people liked this track a lot even if they thought my other choices were out to lunch! Have you heard Joost Buis's Astronotes? It's also got Pallesen on it, & it's a terrific disc.

**officially Out Of Print, but Jack has a few more copies that are on the way, I'm not sure how many so email me (shiurba@pacbell.net) if you want to be on the standby list

Thanks for posting this! I just heard back from John and I am first in line on the standby list.

"Have you heard Joost Buis's Astronotes?"

Yes, it is a wonderful album. It is the disc that started me exploring the Dutch "scene" again.

Edited by John B

wilde.jpg

Nate Dorward started his blindfold test with track #1 from this disc and reviews the disc nicely on his web site.  I was impressed enough to track down a copy.

Glad you liked it, & glad you liked the review too. I seem to recall someone here (was it ubu or D.D.?) wasn't so keen on this brand of European jazz, in the comments on the BFT thread.....

Indeed, I was not too impressed by that piece.

But I got a copy of Janssen / Bennink's "Groet" - looking forward to listening to it.

Edited by Д.Д.

Friends, I got J. J. Johnson Mosaic set a couple of weeks ago, and just can't get enought of it. This is some of the most beautifully organized and executed music I've ever heard. The set is "running low", so I would encourage everybody here to get it asap.

Friends, I got J. J. Johnson Mosaic set a couple of weeks ago, and just can't get enought of it. This is some of the most beautifully organized and executed music I've ever heard. The set is "running low", so I would encourage everybody here to get it asap.

Bobby Jaspar :tup

Tony - the John Butcher release is GREAT. It is a reissue of an album originally

on Acta. Beautiful, precise solo soprano and tenor saxophone solos and also

multitracked saxophones. Title - Thirteeen Friendly Numbers.

I have not heard any of the others on the label, looking forward to more comments!

I was lookng through the pile of unlistened to discs, and found a couple of unosounds releases (bought at CD Baby, I guess): John Butcher's solo and Butcher/Lehn/Moor disc. They go to the top of the pile.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Listening to:

spotted.jpeg

John Shiurba/Scott Rosenberg/ Gino Robair/ Morgan Guberman

SPOTTED DICK (Limited Sedition # 74 0f 96)

So... I innocently googled 'spotted dick' images, afraid at what I might find.

I had no idea...

spotted_dick.gif

CLEANING UP ITS ACT: SPOTTED DICK HAS BEEN A FAVORITE SCOTTISH PUDDING FOR DECADES, BUT THE VENERABLE DESSERT MAY SOON BE RENAMED "SPOTTED RICHARD"TO STIFFEN SAGGING SALES. IT SEEMS EVEN MEN BRAVE ENOUGH TO EAT HAGGIS BLUSH ASKING FOR "DICK" AT THE GROCER'S.

+++++

Dear Straight Dope:

Can you shed any light on the etymology of "Spotted Dick"? It's a British concoction, a steamed, log-shaped suet pudding studded with currants, hence the "spotted." But why the "dick"?

The first explanation that leaps to mind seems highly unlikely, but I haven't been able to find a detailed and credible account of how this venerable dessert really did get its name. The best I found in over 40 pages of Google results was someone who thinks he read somewhere that the words "dick," "dog" and "duff" when applied to puddings were all derivatives of the word "dough." OK, "duff" and "dog" seem pretty plausible linguistic mutations, but even allowing for strange regional British accents, "dick" seems a little bit of a stretch. My British parents are also at a loss to explain. --Jayne

SD Staff Dex replies:

We just tackled the origin of "Dick" as a nickname and a few other usages--a riding whip, an apron, abbreviation for "dictionary," a policeman, a declaration, and (of course), the penis.

With all these varied usages, you got a problem with "dick" being also derived from "pudding"? My sources all pretty much agree with the derivation, without being specific how. However, I can see "pudding" become "puddink" becoming "puddick" and then just "dick."

The word "dick" has appeared in any number of strange places. Around the 1840s, "dick" was used to mean a type of hard cheese; when treacle sauce was added, it became "treacle dick", and finally when currants or raisins were added (looking like little spots), the "spotted dick" was born.

The earliest recipes for spotted dick are from 1847. For non-British readers, "spotted dick" is a boiled suet pudding, with bits of dried fruit (usually raisins or currants) that (as already noted) look like little spots.

The Oxford Companion to Food comments that, strictly speaking, "spotted dick" is made by taking a flat sheet, spreading sugar and raisins on it, then rolling it up. A similar dessert is "spotted dog," a plain cylinder of suet paste with the raisins and currants and sugar stuck into it, so that the spots are visible on the outside. Both spotted dick and spotted dog were traditionally boiled (or even steamed) in a cloth, but nowadays they are usually baked.

The dessert is slightly different in Ireland. In Ireland in the late 1800s, the tradition of yeast-bread manufacture was not strong, so most breads were raised with bicarbonate of soda and an acid, rather than with yeast, and thus called soda breads. Thus, the spotted dick in Ireland is sweet soda bread, with sugar, currants, and raisins, and it's also called the spotted dog or railway cake.

--SDSTAFF Dex

Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

+++++

bobs_spotted_dick_001.sized.jpg

Seconded! :tup

Yeah Thirteen Friendly Numbers is great--I have the original Acta release, which I think is the first Butcher disc I got--I saw News from the Shed live, talked a little to the musicians, & then started ordering some of the albums. Which reminds me, it's high time someone reissued Conceits with Butcher, Durrant & Russell.

Guest Chaney

David: Not to distract you from what you're wanting to listen to but any opinion on the Harry Miller set?

My (BACK!)order:

Order Date: 28 May 2005

Order #: **************

Recipient: Me

Items not yet dispatched: 1 of: The Collection [bOX SET]

Delivery estimate: 25 Aug 2005 - 7 Sep 2005

miller_harr_harrymill_101b.jpg

Edited by Chaney

David:  Not to distract you from what you're wanting to listen to but any opinion on the Harry Miller set?

My (BACK!)order:

Order Date: 28 May 2005

Order #: **************

Recipient: Me

Items not yet dispatched: 1 of: The Collection [bOX SET]

Delivery estimate: 25 Aug 2005 - 7 Sep 2005

miller_harr_harrymill_101b.jpg

Tony, it's good. Not groundbreaking or particularly revelatory, but good.

There are 5 or 6 different sessions on these 3 discs - from solo to larger bands. Miller is a good bassist, but Kowald (or Leander, if you wish) he is not, so solo and duo sessions left me not entirely satisfied. But larger group sessions are very nice (with some brillaint playing of Harry Beckett, Tevor Watts, Sean Bergin, Louis Moholo... Bennink also, I think) - all somewhere in the early Ornette territory with a lot of this joyful tuneful South African thing (which I enjoy, but in limited doses).

But these are merely first impressions - I need to spend more time with this set.

So I'm getting ready (supposedly finalizing my presentation but I'm still thinking of how best to present the data) for my dissertation proposal defense tomorrow. Not much there that relates to this thread except that I'll be testing the propositions in the context of free/avant-garde jazz, 1989-2004.

The morning after, Wednesday the 24th, we're taking the trane to Mulhouse to catch the last 4 days of Jazz a Mulhouse. And though I had hopes of meeting some Ratsters, we'll be all alone with my girlfriend, it seems. Hope the concerts will be good and I know from experience that there's quite a selection of discs for sale at the stands (though still at European prices so you have to be careful not to let go) so I'll likely pick a few discs as well.

Anyway, I've been enjoying the following discs since this morning,

Brotzmann/Ellis/Eneidi/Krall - Live at Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli) - This I've had for some time and it holds up very well. I would like to hear more Eneidi, let me add the recent CIMP disc to my list.

Simon Nabatov - Perpetuum Immobile (Leo) - solo, recorded live

Both come easily recommended to fans of these players. They might well do for the curious, I guess, but know that the Nabatov does not contain much "jazz". Yes I'm aware that no description whatsoever is unlikely to result in anyone's checking these out but here they are nevertheless.

Well, I also listened to Guiffre/Bley/Swallow's Emphasis, Stuttgart 1961 but hopefully not many here will need convincing of the merits of that.

Gokhan, I wish you luck tomorrow!

About Mulhouse: I'm sorry, but I've been so busy and lagging behind with so many things, it would simply be too much for me now!

Thanks though, for David's generous offer, but I simply can't make it.

Will you come to Zurich after Mulhouse? If so, drop me an email (rather than a PM - I'll see the email faster, and I am afraid my PM box is quite full, too...) and we'll get in touch somehow!

Gokhan:  On Limited Sedition, ON THE EDIT:  Win This Time is a must.

Win this time is the most jazzy title in the Limited Sedition catalog I've heard. Golia is a bit show-offish here, but he does have what to show. [

Listening to 'win this time' for the first time.

Is there really only a market for 113 CDs of such quality music?

George Cremaschi on bass sounds particularly exciting.

Gokhan:  On Limited Sedition, ON THE EDIT:  Win This Time is a must.

Win this time is the most jazzy title in the Limited Sedition catalog I've heard. Golia is a bit show-offish here, but he does have what to show. [

Listening to 'win this time' for the first time.

Is there really only a market for 113 CDs of such quality music?

George Cremaschi on bass sounds particularly exciting.

Well, it took Tony nearly two years to persuade you to get a copy - how long do you think it will it take to get "the masses" to follow?

Edited by Д.Д.

Boys and girls, Leo Records has an Autumn Sale, and a pretty nice one: 3 CDs for £11 (including shipping worldwide). For dollar-philes, this is $20 for 3 CDs. The items on sale are:

all by Keshavan Maslak (of which Mother Russia is highly recommended)

all by Ivo Perelman (of which The Hammer is wholeheartedly recommended)

all by Jefry Stevens & Joe Fonda (not a fan)

all by Dominic Duval & Herb Robertson (Undersound II is a must! Asylem is a good one also)

all by Eugene Chadbourne

all by Hartmut Geerken , AEoC and John Tchicai (I'd say tha Geerken / Tchicai / Moye discs are essential)

The sale is valid till September 30th.