Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Thanks to Chuck Nessa's sale on Okka Disk titles I've been exploring more of Georg Grawe's work. Right now I'm listening to Georg Grawe, Frank Gratkowski, Kent Kessler, Hamid Drake - Melodie & Rhythmus, and am very impressed. This is an excellent album. Very different than what I usually expect from Hamid Drake. Much less "funky" and more supportive. I haven't been focusing on Kessler, but Grawe and Gratkowski are both in top form. Very impressive.

Up next is Evan Parker / Georg Grawe - Unity Variations.

Not much difficult to be please here, as this is the best record of GEORG GRAEWE.

If you have liked the rythm section, try the trio of GRAEWE/ KESSLER/ DRAKE on FMR. Title is FOR TRIO (16 FANTASIESTÜCKE). It's a little marvel, closed to the masterpiece of the piano/ bass/ drums format of this century so far, I'm speaking of the VERYAN WESTON/ JOHN EDWARDS/ MARK SANDERS TRIO (GATEWAY TO VIENNA, a double on EMANEM).

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

The ___ who had begun his career as a useful ___ of the ___ court later became the ___ of ___ and the ___ of ___.

cat_ee06.jpg

Debut from Brooklyn based trio featuring Jaime Fennelly (electronics), Chris Forsyth (guitar), and Fritz Welch (drums & amplified percussion).

"a very beautiful album of full-bodied and resistant electro-acoustics rather than the evanescent and whispered school like we otherwise often hear. Their choices are always original and personal. An album not to be missed." (8 out of 10) BLOW UP, Italy

released 4/03

On Evolving Ear but, sadly, OOP.

Edited by Chaney

Today will catch Frode Gjerstad duo with Bugge Wesseltoft duo / Veryan Weston Trio - but this is no match to Brötzmann/Nilssen-Love duo (I actually never heard them together, but I think Nilssen-Love should bring out the best in Herr Brötzmann).

Lucky!

I envy you as I've really been enjoying Frode, especially some of his work (reissued?) on Loose Torque.

Be sure to give us your opinion of the show.

Gjerstad and Wesseltoft was very much so-so. I am not too convinced by Gjerstad's talents, in general. He was playing clarinet, baritone, alto and bass clarinet. Very breathy, weak and not at all nuanced sound (very much the same on all instuments - slightly more forceful and diverse on alto) and monotone repetetive figures. Wesseltoft is a typical mainstreampiano player trying to do the out thing on an off night, so there were all the regular tricks of playing on the piano strings, and of course with some electronics. Not interesting, in short.

BUT, then came the Veryan Weston trio, and it was stunnig. The trio includes Marc Sanders on drums and John Edwards on bass, and they played a very energetic, aggressive, inventive and highly interactive free jazz. The level of interaction is unbelievable... I wouldn't even call it interaction, it's complete synchronicity - somehow all three (particualrly Sanders and Weston) sound very much alike in their ideas and approach. The energy level was at overdrive from the first second and didn't let go for a moment all through the set, and I definitely agree with P.L.M. in that this is some of the best modern piano trio music - I am getting all I can find by them (two releases on EMANEM, as I see) asap.

Paal Nilssen-Love was in the audience (which consisted of probably 12 people), and was seemingly in awe of Sanders' playing.

I chatted a bit with Sanders and Edwards after the concert, and Sanders noted that when he was approached to play this gig he imidiately proposed this trio as this is his favorite formation - and this is saying something.

I chatted a bit with Sanders and Edwards after the concert, and Sanders noted that when he was approached to play this gig he imidiately proposed this trio as this is his favorite formation - and this is saying something.

You should have speak with VERYAN WESTON too. It's one of the most charming person I've ever met. Great sense of (an english) humour and extremely modeste, also. Always singing the praise of other.

Mark Sanders is my favorite drummer alive

This got me thinking who my favorite living drummers are - so here is the top-whatever in no particular order:

Mark Sanders

Paal Nilssen-Love

Michael Wertmüller

Michel Lambert

John McLellean

Daniel Humair

Tony Oxley

Paul Lovens

Raymond Strid

Paul Lytton

Jeff Arnal

Ramon Lopez

Vladimir Tarasov

Martin Blume

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Shall we do a listening session Monday, May 22nd evening - around midnight CET (6PM EST)?

Unfortunately, I have to visit an elderly client Monday after work so I won't be around at that time.

If you have liked the rythm section, try the trio of GRAEWE/ KESSLER/ DRAKE on FMR. Title is FOR TRIO (16 FANTASIESTÜCKE). It's a little marvel, closed to the masterpiece of the piano/ bass/ drums format of this century so far, I'm speaking of the VERYAN WESTON/ JOHN EDWARDS/ MARK SANDERS TRIO (GATEWAY TO VIENNA, a double on EMANEM).

I'll have to buy the disc on FMR soon. It seems like it would be something I will really enjoy. The Weston disc on Emanem looks interesting, to.

Right now I am listening to Evan Parker & Georg Gräwe - Unity Variations. Another excellent release. So far I prefer Melodie und Rhythmus, but they are both very, very good releases.

Does anyone know of a good source for FMR discs in the U.S.? My usual sources seem to be coming up empty.

Edited by John B

Does anyone know of a good source for FMR discs in the U.S.? My usual sources seem to be coming up empty.

Buy directly from the label, they have good shipping rates and accept PayPal.

Yesterday, during the Brötzmann tentet concert saw a Brötzmann / Zerang duo live release "Live in Beirut" on Lebanese Al Maslakh label. Didn't feel in the mood to shell out CHF 30 for it (got two Lonberg-Holm CD-Rs, one of them being a duo with Carlos Zingaro ( :excited: ), instead).

Will write about the concert later. In short - it was good, and totally different from what I saw/heard four years ago.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Anyone know of a source for Duns Limited disks? Ordering directly from Paul Dunmall is (for me) prohibitively expensive. DMG has a very impressive list of titles but with few of them actually in stock ("NLA"), what the heck is the point?

Also, anyone know if Dunmall represses these things? (Yea, I know: limited.) I could have sworn there were around fifteen that were OOP but I now see that there's only five NLA.

Edited by Chaney

DMG has a very impressive list of titles but with few of them actually in stock ("NLA"), what the heck is the point?

DMG's web site isn't so accurate in terms of what they actually have, you should give them a call or send them an e-mail and see what they've actually got.

Ask for Manny and be very difficult with him. :rlol

Good idea. Maybe I'll also call on a Friday and be scolded for doing so. :bwallace2:

I think you have to call in the evenings to talk to Manny.

I wonder who was abusing you on a Friday...I can guess, but I think I know. Friday is a busy walk in retail day...they're busy prepping for all music junkies who just cashed their pay checks. :lol:

Long time not play the game of the "list":

Some drummers that I like more than others:

MARK SANDERS

STEVE NOBLE (maybe my favorite actually)

HAMID DRAKE

RASHIED ALI

DONALD ROBINSON

TOM RAINEY

KEVIN NORTON

GERRY HEMINGWAY

SUSIE IBARRA

ALEX CLINE

DON MOYE

EDDIE PREVOST

LOUIS MOHOLO(-MOHOLO)

JOHNNY McLELLAN

TONY OXLEY

PAUL LYTTON

PAUL LOVENS

DANIEL HUMAIR

RAMON LOPEZ

CHRISTOPHE MARGUET

ERIC ECHAMPARD

BURKHARD BEINS

JEFF "TAIN" WATTS

BRIAN BLADE

PAUL HESSION

WARREN SMITH

JIM BLACK

RANDY PETERSON

MICHAEL ZERANG

HARRIS EINSENSTADT

SVEN-AKE JOHANSSON

REGGIE NICHOLSON

Edited by P.L.M

No Wolleson or Amendola? Graves? Alvin Fielder? Alvin Fielder. Steve McCall? Cyrille? Bill Stewart. Bob Gullotti!

I like your list because it covers a broad range of drummers, stylistically. These guys fit into your list well. If you aren't familiar, check them out in no particular order.

FMRCD119 INNOVATION Amalgam

Already paid for the order so it's too late for me to make changes. Still, any thoughts on these discs?

i really like that amalgam disc. it might be too prosaic for a funny ratt-er? it is weird. i don't know too much tippett, but i would imagine this is one of his most straight performances. but it is isn't a straight set. just sort of rhythmically um plodding?

Got this one, and it is beautiful. Watts has such a gorgrous forceful alto sound; Tippett is joyfully extatic (this is not that mainstream for Tippett, actually - his (excellent) discs from late-60s / early-70s (reissued most recently on Disconforme - with Tippett's permission, for a change) are quite easy-listening), and Kent Carter's bass is nice. For me the only quibble is John Stevens too straight-ahead heavy-handed drumming on one (last) track. But overall, an excellent disc.

Gokhan, what do you think of it?

No Wolleson or Amendola? Graves? Alvin Fielder? Alvin Fielder. Steve McCall? Cyrille? Bill Stewart. Bob Gullotti!

I like your list because it covers a broad range of drummers, stylistically. These guys fit into your list well. If you aren't familiar, check them out in no particular order.

Bill Stewart - yes. Cyrille, Graves and Fielder I like, but they are not among the very favorite drummers.

What was the last thing Rashied Ali recorded? Does he still play (well)?

MILFORD GRAVES ? Sure, but he doesn't play much, lately.

MAcCALL is dead, alas, and CYRILLE has disappoint me too often lately.

There are lot of drummer that I like but who belongs, IMO, to history like SUNNY MURRAY or HAN BENNINK (the clownish side of the dutch is completely hiding, nowadays, the incredible talent of the drummer).

I could name lot of others, like MAX ROACH or ROY HAYNES but that's no news to no one and it's not the purpose of this list.

What's yours?

What was the last thing Rashied Ali recorded? Does he still play (well)?

I think that he is still in activity.

Most recent record of ALI I had is a DIW "called LIVE AT TONIC" and recorded in 2001 with LOUIE BELOGENIS and WILBER MORRIS.

A good record where ALI plays with his usual skill.

Edited by P.L.M

FMRCD119 INNOVATION Amalgam

Already paid for the order so it's too late for me to make changes. Still, any thoughts on these discs?

i really like that amalgam disc. it might be too prosaic for a funny ratt-er? it is weird. i don't know too much tippett, but i would imagine this is one of his most straight performances. but it is isn't a straight set. just sort of rhythmically um plodding?

Got this one, and it is beautiful. Watts has such a gorgrous forceful alto sound; Tippett is joyfully extatic (this is not that mainstream for Tippett, actually - his (excellent) discs from late-60s / early-70s (reissued most recently on Disconforme - with Tippett's permission, for a change) are quite easy-listening), and Kent Carter's bass is nice. For me the only quibble is John Stevens too straight-ahead heavy-handed drumming on one (last) track. But overall, an excellent disc.

Gokhan, what do you think of it?

There was a misunderstanding about this (and The Onliest's Pictures From a Monk Exhibtion) so I only received it today. I'll try to listen to it on Friday.