Groovadelphia back in stock!

Get your copy today either direct from Big O Records (click!), CDBaby (click!), or Amazon (click)! It's also available on iTunes!

"...it's a beautiful record, a big advance over the previous two... Everything is so knit together, musically and as a recording job, and every track has several levels (at least) working at once -- hooks (or near hooks), rhythmic, timbral, and harmonic subtleties, etc. [Jim Alfredson is] a genius at registration... Joe is so damn hip but always in there, never flashy, and Randy is always thinking and feeling and sensing, always right." ~ Larry Kart, esteemed jazz critic and former writer for Downbeat

Downbeat - Dec. 2008

Hammond organ trios are prone to some unfortunate expectations about rhythmic grooves and anti-climactic jams, but organissimo is out to prove the detractors wrong. Drawing on blues, Latin jazz, and even the repertoire of the drummer's father, tenor saxophonist Arno Marsh ("My Sweet Potato Pie"), the group's [third] effort makes good on the titular promise of a groove. But that's only part of the equation.

Groovadelphia boasts a cerebral arc that moves away from the dance floor and into a series of gracefully phrased tunes, including the delicate, drumless ballad "Traces". With a strong emphasis on the different possibilities created by Latin rhythms and organist Jim Alfredson's innovative and bluesy approach to the '60s soul-jazz organ trio concept, the material is thoughtful without being too earnest; danceable, but never repetitive.

The Lansing, Michigan based group opens with the title track's playful jam, easing its way into a carefree series of vamps that showcase the big sound a small lineup can get with a Moog, Fender [Rhodes] and Hammond in its midst. Once the foundation's been set, "Senor Buffet" introduces the first of many Latin-based rhythmic structures, followed by a blues shuffle that extends on the relaxed groove idea. ~ Jennifer Odell

Many associate the modern-day organ trio solely with Medeski, Martin & Wood, but to do so means leaving out part of the picture. organissimo doesn't aim for the same kinds of funk experiment as MMW, moving instead towards a laid-back, soulful appeal. Groovadelphia signals the full range of possibilities within this musical arrangement, and fans will doubtlessly be returning to organissimo for years to come.

~ Jay Deshpande - All About Jazz

2008.jpg

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to opening up Groovadelphia on Jim's birthday Monday, and it is so much better than I expected! I think that DownBeat missed out by giving it only three stars. I would give it four stars.

The three star rating gave me the impression that it was a standard organ trio date like This Is the Place, but it's not. Joe's guitar has the spotlight for most of the album, and his playing gives the cd a unique sound.

Congrats guys!

The three star rating gave me the impression that it was a standard organ trio date like This Is the Place, but it's not. Joe's guitar has the spotlight for most of the album, and his playing gives the cd a unique sound.

I appreciate the compliment! Though I don't even think of it that way. I just play a bit and make way for Jim and Randy. ^_^