surreal deal ...

the sam goody nearest me is going out of business. i went in there today and found a couple of (i think, anyway) incredible deals.

i picked up "the complete stax/volt singles 1959-1968" (9 cds + book) for ... wait for it ... $3.81!!! picked up 2 copies, one for me, one for a friend! plus, for the same price i picked up miles' "complete silent way sessions" (for a friend for xmas), AND a sony 3 pak of johnny cash albums ("san quentin," "folsom prison," "america") for myself. not a bad day, methinks!

Yeah, I went in to the Wherehouse closest to me when they were down to 40%-70% off. Nothin' but crap to be found. I even looked through all their Rock/Pop CD's - and it was like they had already cleaned out the whole place of anything of any real value, and (presumably) shipped it off to some other store that wasn't closing -- or else they sold all that stuff (in bulk) to some other chain.

I did see a handful of decent jazz titles (perhaps 5 CD's out of the 150-200 jazz discs they had there), but they were all discs I already had, but didn't love enough to snap them up at about $5-$6 a disc (for give away or trade away).

I think I bought one disc, a Dave Douglas if I remember right - and that was it.

i really don't get it myself ... those items i bought were already down to $5.99 and i got a 20% discount. everything was 20-40% off. the guy said they would be closed by december. i am going out of the country for a week next week, am back in the u.s. the following week and then gone again 11/23 - 1/11. i might miss out on some good stuff when it gets cheaper, but maybe not. the only other things that caught my eye were some of the new dylan reissues at the rediculously high price of $19.99, albiet 20% off ... if some of them would just be around (and if i would just be around) when it gets to 80-90% off ....

oh, well, can't complain i guess! ;)